Comfort Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

graceelou

Assistant Cook
I was wondering if anyone had any fool-proof comfort food recipes, guaranteed to ease stress? That would be great!!Thanks :-p

Whenever my mind is spinning from thinking of complicated dishes, I jsut make mashed potatoes. So simple and easy to make. All you need is some cooked potatoes (boiled or steamed usually), butter, salt and milk. Mash 'em all up and voila, mashed potatoes.

thank you!! Im just curious though- why do you think these foods are so comforting? texture, temperature, smell? Of course, they taste good, but what else has to do with it?
*gracie

I think comfort food is different for each person because it's connected to fond memories of your past or childhood.

I can guarantee, my comfort foods aren't the same as yours unless you were raised in an Armenian household by immigrent parents who cooked all the foods from the "Old Country".

I'm with Andy M, Gracee. I remember cinnamon toast with lots of butter, steaming hot chocolate, homemade onion soup, pork chops cooked in wine, huge slices of hot french bread dripping butter and honey...Hot apple pie, ravioli, homemade sauce, both my grandma's were pretty good cooks..Mostly simple but yummy...They both also raised most of their veggies so food was heaven...

kadesma:)

Out here in So Cal, one of my ultimate comfort foods (that my dad makes every time I visit) is a nice sour sourdough, toasted with butter and then a big slathering of avocado dip (haas avocado + miracle whip or mayo + lemon juice + tabasco)

Home baked bread is another for me. Tomorrow when I have more time, I'll try to post my favorite bread recipe.

jkath said:
Out here in So Cal, one of my ultimate comfort foods (that my dad makes every time I visit) is a nice sour sourdough, toasted with butter and then a big slathering of avocado dip (haas avocado + miracle whip or mayo + lemon juice + tabasco)

Home baked bread is another for me. Tomorrow when I have more time, I'll try to post my favorite bread recipe.
jkath, so your dad makes avocado dip too? So did mine, so now when we now make it each of us take a slice of baguette, slather on the dip and say here's to you Bompa:) His recipe was mash 1 avocado, add about 1/2 c of mayo, 2 dashes of worchertershire, 2 crushed cloves of garlic a Tab. of olive oil, a little salt and smush all together..On the mayo and garlic I sometime add a little more mayo and garlic is really to each persons taste, my group likes garlicky and we usually make at least 4 avocados at a time..This dip is also used on our tacos:)
kadesma:)

chicken noodle soup and vanilla ice cream
have always topped my list of comfort foods.

Oatmeal with brown sugar and butter drowned in milk. My family had this at least once a week when I was a kid. My other comfort food is white rice, granulated sugar, and milk. My mom used to eat this when she was young and told me about it one day. It has been a favorite of mine ever since. Biscuits and gravy are another of my comfort foods. It reminds me of my grandma. She made the best biscuits and gravy. :)

Another one, from Grandma:
we'd pick giant figs from her tree (and I mean GIANT!), peel them and dice them, put them into a bowl and pour cream or whole milk till they were about 1/2 covered and then about 2 tsp of granulated sugar. AAAAHHHH!

Also, any pasta alfredo is a major comfort food!

I agree with Andy M. that anything that brings back fond memories of your younger years is comcort food. For me, some of it is a New England boiled dinner, chicken fricasee, spaghetti, cinnamon toast (a real treat) . I could go on and on, but you get the drift.

Soup is one of my big comfort foods. Tomato soup, chicken and dumplings, creamy chicken and rice, mom's vegetable beef soup, ect.

Last edited:
thank you all so much for your replies! All your answers really helped me a lot. Does anyone have any healthy comfort food recipes? Are there any out there at all? I am pretty sure that anything that is healthy is not really comforting, but if anyone knows any let me know PLEASE!! thanks
:rolleyes:

My favorite comfort food is grilled cheese. Mmmm. :) Or a peanut butter sandwich, with lots of PB.

I'm sure there's healthy comfort food. Homemade chicken noodle soup is another one of my favorites and it's pretty healthy.

Sara

My favorite comfort foods are pretty much anything with gravy or sauce (mashed potatoes and gravy, beef stew, porcupine meatballs with potatoes and the sauce from the meatballs, etc.), macaroni and cheese, tuna noodle casserole, and (like SierraCook) oatmeal with butter, brown sugar, and milk.

Healthy comfort foods? Hmmmm I will have to think about that one!

:) Barbara

S'mores!!! :mrgreen:

We are up to 5 generations now of having s'mores for picnic desserts. My mom is 83, I'm 58, my niece is 30, and her oldest is 8. My mom's mom was still a relatively young 40 something when I was first introduced to that family tradition, finishing off the last coals of the fire (that was used to roast the hot dog weenies) by cooking marshmallows golden brown and completely soft through. Then transferring them to the sandwich so fast that you still burned your tongue on the first bite, with marshmallow and melted chocolate oozing out the sides.... mmmmmm boy!!!

Last edited:
this may be a little weird, but chicken parm is a comfort food to me. it was my mom's best dish, along with pot roast mashed, peas, and gravy.

when i had my wisdom teeth removed, my mom happened to make chicken parm that day for the family. i loved it so much i threw some in a blender with extra sauce and spaghetti, since i wasn't allowed to eat anythng solid for a few days. mmmmm, chicken parm and spaghetti paste...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom