"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-25-2008, 11:40 AM   #1
Everymom

Comfort Food this weekend

OK, been a while since we shared a meal around here hasn't it? Since most of us are experiencing cold weather, lets share our best "comfort food" this weekend.

On Saturday, I will be making gnocchi with both a cream sauce and a tomato sauce. I found a recipe for a gorgonzola based sauce that I might try, but I haven't decided yet. I'll post it tomorrow and share. We're also going to have a big loaf of crusty french bread with balsamic vinegar and EVOO for Madeleine and yummy butter for the rest of us.

What comfort food will you make this weekend? And lets all raise a glass of something special to all our friends at DC "sharing" our meal this weekend.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:12 PM   #2
Head Chef

Thanks Alix, any recipe you want to share from this would be great!

Old 01-25-2008, 01:14 PM   #3
Head Chef

I do believe we will be making a nice pork roast, mashed potatoes and gravy
and green beans....

And here's a raised glass of delicious Harpoon IPA!
Old 01-25-2008, 01:17 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I'm going to make potato scones, and eat them warm with butter. They'll go well with the pork belly recipes we'll be making. Butter and pork fat...it doesn't get any better than that!!!!!
Old 01-25-2008, 01:38 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Well, I'm going to make your BB muffins again for the boy because he said they were his favorite!

I'm going to make my favorite comforting soup tomorrow, Roasted Red Pepper & Sweet Potato. And of course I'll be partaking in those luscious muffins too!

Next weekend I want to make my most favorite comfort food, Baked Mac & Cheese. I haven't made it since I've lived in England! The boy hates cheese, so I'll have to find someone to help me eat it! (can you believe he hates cheese!!??)

Alix, the gorgonzola sauce with gnocchi sounds heavenly.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:14 PM   #6
Everymom

Gorgonzola sauce:

1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 lb gorgonzola (rind removed and cut into cubes)
1 1/2 tsp flour

Heat the cream (just a couple of minutes), add the cheese and stir til melted. OK, the original recipe has you whisking in the flour at this point, but I don't see the necessity. I think I will just turn off the heat and let it sit on the warm element until I'm ready to serve. I think I will also add some parsley to this to garnish.

I may also use about 1/2 cream cheese and half gorgonzola, depending on what I can find at the deli.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:28 PM   #7
Cook

With most of our extended family fighting one form of the flu or another our weekly Sunday dinner is being cancelled. Since we will be home I think I will be making a nice warm soup to go with all the snow we got this week! Probably will be doing Creamy Swiss Onion which is a new favorite of mine and so easy to make!!
Old 01-25-2008, 04:25 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm so lucky, I have two son's in law that I love as if they were my sons..One of them has asked if we can have paninni sandwiches this sunday and soup..So we will have french onion soup, I'm getting some nice kaiser rolls, making a muffuletta salad to go on the sammies and getting mortadella,salami,and ham along with provolne throw them in the press and we eat. Then he has asked for panna cotta and strawberry coulis for dessert..Will add a fruit salad as the kids and I love it and I think we are set..Need a couple of starters and am thinking of making some crepes, spreading the with finely chopped mushrooms, shallots,garlic sauted then add some cream, cook it down and spread on the crepe and make a stack and cut like a pie...don't know how this will be, but I think i'll give it a shot Now to think of something else for a starter and off we go.
kades
Old 01-25-2008, 04:49 PM   #9
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Sounds silly, but I have got some REALLY nice fresh crusty bread, some muenster and smoked cheddar cheese, and all the makings for some creamy tomato and basil bisque, so it is grown up grilled cheese and tomato soup for me. Actually really looking forward to it!
Old 01-25-2008, 05:00 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Probably will be doing Creamy Swiss Onion which is a new favorite of mine and so easy to make!!
Bean, I can't find your recipe posted on here!!