Comfort Food this weekend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
OK, been a while since we shared a meal around here hasn't it? Since most of us are experiencing cold weather, lets share our best "comfort food" this weekend.

On Saturday, I will be making gnocchi with both a cream sauce and a tomato sauce. I found a recipe for a gorgonzola based sauce that I might try, but I haven't decided yet. I'll post it tomorrow and share. We're also going to have a big loaf of crusty french bread with balsamic vinegar and EVOO for Madeleine and yummy butter for the rest of us.

What comfort food will you make this weekend? And lets all raise a glass of something special to all our friends at DC "sharing" our meal this weekend.

I do believe we will be making a nice pork roast, mashed potatoes and gravy
and green beans....

And here's a raised glass of delicious Harpoon IPA!

I'm going to make potato scones, and eat them warm with butter. They'll go well with the pork belly recipes we'll be making. Butter and pork fat...it doesn't get any better than that!!!!!:LOL:

Well, I'm going to make your BB muffins again for the boy because he said they were his favorite!

I'm going to make my favorite comforting soup tomorrow, Roasted Red Pepper & Sweet Potato. And of course I'll be partaking in those luscious muffins too!

Next weekend I want to make my most favorite comfort food, Baked Mac & Cheese. I haven't made it since I've lived in England! The boy hates cheese, so I'll have to find someone to help me eat it! (can you believe he hates cheese!!??)

Alix, the gorgonzola sauce with gnocchi sounds heavenly.

Gorgonzola sauce:

1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 lb gorgonzola (rind removed and cut into cubes)
1 1/2 tsp flour

Heat the cream (just a couple of minutes), add the cheese and stir til melted. OK, the original recipe has you whisking in the flour at this point, but I don't see the necessity. I think I will just turn off the heat and let it sit on the warm element until I'm ready to serve. I think I will also add some parsley to this to garnish.

I may also use about 1/2 cream cheese and half gorgonzola, depending on what I can find at the deli.

With most of our extended family fighting one form of the flu or another our weekly Sunday dinner is being cancelled. Since we will be home I think I will be making a nice warm soup to go with all the snow we got this week! Probably will be doing Creamy Swiss Onion which is a new favorite of mine and so easy to make!!

I'm so lucky, I have two son's in law that I love as if they were my sons..One of them has asked if we can have paninni sandwiches this sunday and soup..So we will have french onion soup, I'm getting some nice kaiser rolls, making a muffuletta salad to go on the sammies and getting mortadella,salami,and ham along with provolne throw them in the press and we eat. Then he has asked for panna cotta and strawberry coulis for dessert..Will add a fruit salad as the kids and I love it and I think we are set..Need a couple of starters and am thinking of making some crepes, spreading the with finely chopped mushrooms, shallots,garlic sauted then add some cream, cook it down and spread on the crepe and make a stack and cut like a pie...don't know how this will be, but I think i'll give it a shot:LOL: Now to think of something else for a starter and off we go.
kades

Sounds silly, but I have got some REALLY nice fresh crusty bread, some muenster and smoked cheddar cheese, and all the makings for some creamy tomato and basil bisque, so it is grown up grilled cheese and tomato soup for me. Actually really looking forward to it!

Pounding rain (& some tornado watches in certain areas) here. Comfort food it is! Meat-a-balls & spaghetti. Making the sauce in the slow cooker -- all the usual suspects - tomatoes, tom. paste, tomato sauce, a few cloves of garlic, mushrooms, browned sausages & onions, basil, oregano, parsley, rosemary, Parmesan near the end of cooking time -- & whatever else I can think of to throw in there. Garlic bread. Fresh peaches for dessert.

Well, tomorrow we're invited to a sushi party so comfort food will have to wait till Sunday. I'm thinking meatloaf with mashed potatoes and gravy, and green beans with diced tomatoes and garlic.

chicken comfort

i have a to die for chicken cassorle.think i will make that. lots of gooy cheeses.just had a snack so this will have to be tomorrow or sunday. chicken and chili , what could be better.

babe :chef:

chicken cassorole

probably tomorrow, so can have left overs on sun. lots of cheese, chilie pwd. chicken and brocc. sort of a modified chicken divan. yum. now that comforts me.

babe

Saturday night my daughter & boyfriend are coming for supper. We'll be having beef enchiladas (my son made the tortillas)some veggies with that and two kinds of cupcakes as it will be her birthday on Sunday.:)

Roasted whole chicken with broccoli & brown rice & mushrooms tonight, our Friday night movie (video) dinner.

Pot roast for Sunday. Maybe the crock pot. We are getting real weather here in Southern California!

Not sure how "comfort" our comfort food will be, but tomorrow night we're having turkey joe calzones, which are calzones filled with a sloppy joe mixture made with ground turkey. Will have a green salad along side.

Sunday is going to be Tex/Mex lamb ribs with cheese grits. The ribs are marinated in lots of Tex/Mex herbs/spices, orange marmalade and red wine. They are then baked, covered, for a couple of hours, uncovered and baked another hour and basting with some of the marinade. Cheese grits made with sharp white Cheddar cheese.

... We are getting real weather here in Southern California!

Ain't that the truth, Barbara! Thought the roof was going to cave in last night. (Fairly new roof & it's leaking into my furnance area again. :ohmy::censored:) Stay safe & dry.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom