Comments on something I saw on "diners and dives"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rickell

Senior Cook
i was watching diners and dives the other day and one of the diners
served a pancake with a egg and ham chunks in the middle. the egg actually was cracked on the pancake and the ham chucks added before the pancake was flipped once flipped the egg cooked right into the pancake. has anyone
ever tried something like this? i am looking for new ideas to serve my
kids, this seemed sorta good. i am not a big pancake eater i don't like
syrup, somedays my kids will have syrup somedays they won't so maybe
we share a bit of the thoughts on syrup. i do know they love pancakes.

The closest thing I make to this is what some call an egg in a hole, or a framed egg. So, the pancake is same thought process. The bread would be soooooooo much easier! lol

Do you know how to make a framed egg?

i heard someone here call i t *froggie in a hole* once!! ;)

dunno why...but that made me laugh!

kitchenelf said:
Do you know how to make a framed egg?

Yes I do egg in a hole is very good, this just really looked interesting,
and I thought some folks might have tried this before.

Going for the pancakes cause my kids just love them, sorta a staple
in our house. Same old pancakes are getting boring to me.:(

froggie in a hole is pretty funny!!!!! lol

Yes, this recipes does sound interesting and different. Even sausage instead of ham sounds like it might be good too!

Since you say you go through times when they don't like syrup make your own (sort of). Take butter and melt some brown sugar in it - that way you can really control the sweetness. Less is more they say - except for butter, of course LOL

I have heard them called toad in a hole too do frogs or toads live in holes?:ermm:

kitchenelf : ummmm butter now i love that everyone at my house

If your kids like pancakes but not syrup, add different things to the pankcake batter. Any kind of berry is a great additive, Peanut butter, choc chips, chopped nuts, granola, raisins, or use other toppings like whipped cream, cream cheese (softened and whipped for easy spreading), jams, fruity toppings from the icecream aisle. Use your imagination and your kids tastes to punch up plain pancakes.

I usually just put two over easy or basted eggs on top of a slice of buttered toast, without poking a hole in it. It's called "Adam and Eve on a Raft." It was a regular menu item at diners in the 30s and 40s.

I do like my pancakes with an egg on top, but I don't flip it, and I put the ham or sausage(s) on the side. I love to drown it in maple syrup, too. REAL maple syrup that is!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom