"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 09-13-2007, 07:19 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Cooking and feasting solo sometimes

Last night I savored a 12oz. porterhouse grilled to medium-rare perfection and a big ole roasted baked potato loaded with sour cream right there in front of the tv while watching a baseball game. Don't get me wrong, I'm a socialable enough guy!! But sometimes I want to concentrate on every forkful of a delicious meal without conversation getting in the way!

I'm curious if any of you feel the same way I do and if so, is there a certain time or a certain meal you like to eat alone so you can enjoy it to the maximum??

Old 09-13-2007, 07:47 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I know exactly what you mean. The rare times I manage to be completely alone, I like to make a meal of my favorite foods exactly the way I like them and then sit down and eat uninterrupted. No jumping up to refill or wipe up or retrieve anything. I think it's because we are social that we enjoy an occasional meal without worrying about the comfort of others dining with us. (OTOH, I have been known to hide Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies under my blankets because I just don't want to share!)

BTW, welcome to DC!

Old 09-13-2007, 07:52 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom
OTOH, I have been known to hide Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies under my blankets because I just don't want to share!)

Ah Ha! Now I know where to look!!!!!!! I've always wondered where they went!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 07:55 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Ah Ha! Now I know where to look!!!!!!! I've always wondered where they went!!!
Sir, you are a rascal!
Old 09-13-2007, 07:55 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
You know, Mr._Steak, I haven't really thought much about this. When Buck and I were raising our family, 5 children, mealtimes ranged from nice, civil occasions to free-for-alls. With 4 sons, mealtime can get VERY interesting.

At any rate, it's just Buck and me now and has been for over 15 years. Fortunately, we both enjoy (mostly) the same foods, so we do savor a good meal together.

When I'm alone, which happens about twice a month, I usually go non-traditional and make a "goofy" meal. Because I can. Guess that's kinda what you are referring to. Sometimes I just eat a huge bowl of popcorn and wash it down with a beer. It's really quite fun and makes me feel as though I'm "getting away" with something.

Food can be so much fun!
Old 09-13-2007, 08:12 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Oh yeah I forgot about the bag of Grandma Utz potato chips buried under some mags in the file cabinet beside my desk!! Thanks for the reminder, Fisher's Mom!

Katie, I know what you mean..nobody telling ya the awesome-tasting feast could be less than healthy!!
Old 09-13-2007, 10:00 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Oh yes,especially when dh is gone a few days usually a hunting trip.Then I like to make the dishes dh does not like I will find a few good movies and savor every bite.I enjoy the rare solitude for those few days but Im always glad when he comes back.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:32 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Every once in a while. SO has to work late and I eat alone. That's when I cook stuff I love and she dislikes.

High on the list is duck. I usually have a breast or two in the freezer. I'll pan sear that and make a little pilaf and open a bottle of red wine and eat the duck one little bite at a time to make it last.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:03 PM   #9
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M
Every once in a while. SO has to work late and I eat alone. That's when I cook stuff I love and she dislikes.
Same here, when Iím alone, I take that time to cook things that DW doesnít like and canít eat. Which means HOT! Lots-O-Peppers and blazing hot sauces. Good stuff (for me anyway).
Old 09-13-2007, 11:07 PM   #10
Head Chef

Come on guys fess up don't you like to eat junk food and wash it down with a good cold one, just once in a while