Cooking and feasting solo sometimes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr._Steak

Senior Cook
Last night I savored a 12oz. porterhouse grilled to medium-rare perfection and a big ole roasted baked potato loaded with sour cream right there in front of the tv while watching a baseball game. Don't get me wrong, I'm a socialable enough guy!! But sometimes I want to concentrate on every forkful of a delicious meal without conversation getting in the way!

I'm curious if any of you feel the same way I do and if so, is there a certain time or a certain meal you like to eat alone so you can enjoy it to the maximum??

I know exactly what you mean. The rare times I manage to be completely alone, I like to make a meal of my favorite foods exactly the way I like them and then sit down and eat uninterrupted. No jumping up to refill or wipe up or retrieve anything. I think it's because we are social that we enjoy an occasional meal without worrying about the comfort of others dining with us. (OTOH, I have been known to hide Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies under my blankets because I just don't want to share!)

BTW, welcome to DC!

Fisher's Mom said:
OTOH, I have been known to hide Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies under my blankets because I just don't want to share!)

:ermm: Ah Ha! Now I know where to look!!!!!!! I've always wondered where they went!!!:LOL:

You know, Mr._Steak, I haven't really thought much about this. When Buck and I were raising our family, 5 children, mealtimes ranged from nice, civil occasions to free-for-alls. With 4 sons, mealtime can get VERY interesting.:LOL:

At any rate, it's just Buck and me now and has been for over 15 years. Fortunately, we both enjoy (mostly) the same foods, so we do savor a good meal together.

When I'm alone, which happens about twice a month, I usually go non-traditional and make a "goofy" meal. Because I can. Guess that's kinda what you are referring to. Sometimes I just eat a huge bowl of popcorn and wash it down with a beer. It's really quite fun and makes me feel as though I'm "getting away" with something.

Food can be so much fun!

Oh yeah I forgot about the bag of Grandma Utz potato chips buried under some mags in the file cabinet beside my desk!! Thanks for the reminder, Fisher's Mom!

Katie, I know what you mean..nobody telling ya the awesome-tasting feast could be less than healthy!!

:)Oh yes,especially when dh is gone a few days usually a hunting trip.Then I like to make the dishes dh does not like I will find a few good movies and savor every bite.I enjoy the rare solitude for those few days but Im always glad when he comes back.

Last edited:
Every once in a while. SO has to work late and I eat alone. That's when I cook stuff I love and she dislikes.

High on the list is duck. I usually have a breast or two in the freezer. I'll pan sear that and make a little pilaf and open a bottle of red wine and eat the duck one little bite at a time to make it last.

Last edited:
Andy M said:
Every once in a while. SO has to work late and I eat alone. That's when I cook stuff I love and she dislikes.

Same here, when I’m alone, I take that time to cook things that DW doesn’t like and can’t eat. Which means HOT! Lots-O-Peppers and blazing hot sauces. Good stuff (for me anyway).

Last edited by a moderator:
Popcorn and beer???? My God Katie, you ROCK! :LOL:

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

As a matter of fact, I'll be spending an overnight with one of my brothers tomorrow and we might just have the same "gourmet" meal. I'm going to be helping him with a huge yard sale on Saturday, so our dining time tomorrow night may be something less than normal.

P.S. I'm bringing my Whirly-Pop popcorn popper with me just in case.:rolleyes:

Last night I savored a 12oz. porterhouse grilled to medium-rare perfection and a big ole roasted baked potato loaded with sour cream right there in front of the tv while watching a baseball game. Don't get me wrong, I'm a socialable enough guy!! But sometimes I want to concentrate on every forkful of a delicious meal without conversation getting in the way!

I'm curious if any of you feel the same way I do and if so, is there a certain time or a certain meal you like to eat alone so you can enjoy it to the maximum??

I'm with you, Mr. Steak! Two or three times a month, I go to my butcher for a rib steak; he knows how I like it cut. A nice baked and whatever veg is fresh, make a good pan sauce, and savor each bite--with a sip of a good red in between.

Since I live alone, I often cook for myself, though I enjoy--and often do--cook for others. I have no qualms about doing a pot roast or a good batch of Bolognese for just me (one can freeze, after all.). Most seafood can be a fast and easily embellished meal. Unless I'm completely knackered, I usually try to make some attempt at a meal that is not just fuel. I find it really does not take much more effort to make a good meal than it does to make humdrum food. I think that, though I love to cook for friends and family, I explore my culinary instincts (as opposed to looking for a predetermined result) most when cooking for myself.

I like to go get sushi and sit on the couch, watch a movie, and savor every single bite in my own good time! :chef:

elfie! look.... over there!!!!!! <<yoink>> (stealing a piece of hamachi)

lol, i'm the opposite with sushi. for some reason, i like to order the large combo plates and share sushi and sashimi. i guess the larger plates are prettier, and are even better when you get to eat them off a large wooden ship! :)

when i was single, i used to love getting a large, plain, thin crust, lightly cheesed, herby pizza. top it with a diced raw onion and frank's hot sauce. add a litre and a half of white zin, and a ballgame, and i was in the zone.
i had to try to leave a slice or two for leftovers because it was so good.

Yes!! Some of my best meals have been alone...

The next time you do the steak. Get a little fresh crab meat, mix it up with some garlic, onion, bread crumbs and egg(basically deviled crab cake mixture), I like a little fresh romano cheese in it too.

After you turn the steak place a glob of the mixture on top of the steak and cover it with aluminum foil. DON'T PEAK!! allow the crab to cook on top of the steak...

YUMMY!!!!!!

If you have extra crab, patty it up, put in on aluminum foil and cook it next to the steak for an extra treat..

When the wife's away, I play!
That is when I like to try new ideas and flavors...
and part of the game is to attempt to make just enough
for 1 person!

Sometimes my best friend comes into town and we don our
ChefTel hats ;)! Last time, we made some darn good bulgogi.

On the RARE occasions that I eat alone, I don't savor the meal so much as I savor the peace and quiet. With 5 kids, fours of those being boys, meal time around here can get rather hectic, to say the least.

FWIW, Thin Mints have a life expectancy of a couple hours, 1 day, max, here. And they've got to be frozen!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom