"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 07-21-2005, 10:58 PM   #11
Executive Chef

yup I'm checkin up on this post. It seems we are really in tune with this, (and I thought your post on making your own traditions and home was very pertinent, kitchenelf.) There is a post under three crocks which could go here too. It is a wonderful tradition and connectedness to be using mom's wodden spoons, or dad's carving knife, or grandma's china, etc.

Old 07-21-2005, 11:06 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

I spend a good portion of my cooking experimentation on trying to recreate some of my mother's recipes I remember so fondly.

I don't look at that as a spiritual thing. It's a connection to my past and my mom, who has been gone for almost 25 years-memories of times past. As a foodie, a connection through food is natural. It's a way I can try to recall some of the happy times that centered around family dinners at the kitchen table.

Remembering mom's cooking, and the happy memories it invokes is why I try to cut all my veggies for soup into perfect little shapes - that's how mom did it. Her mashed potaotes never had lumps so mine don't.

I too look forward to Thanksgiving as it was, and is, the major food holiday. I really have to cook a Thanksgiving dinner and get very cranky if I'm "cheated" out of it. When I lived alone for a few years between relationships, I cooked a full Thanksgiving dinner for myself more than once.

Old 07-21-2005, 11:17 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
I'd give anything to have an hour alone with that box.

okay pds here's what you do... go visit her often.
then you ask her to see old pictures. when she
walks away grab the box and run like a bat out
of heck out the door. then say you forgot to turn
off the oven or something
Old 07-22-2005, 01:49 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Quote:
Originally Posted by middie
I'd give anything to have an hour alone with that box.

okay pds here's what you do... go visit her often.
then you ask her to see old pictures. when she
walks away grab the box and run like a bat out
of heck out the door. then say you forgot to turn
off the oven or something
oh goodness, you made me laugh! Thank you Middie!!
Run like a bat out of heck!! I like that.

Old 07-22-2005, 02:00 AM   #15
Everymom

I don't know that spirituality is the word I would use, connection is more my term.

As some of you know my Dad passed away this fall; and for me I maintain my connection to him with certain meals. There were things I made for him that he loved and now when I make them I can feel the echo of his pleasure. Big family meals are a special treat, they bring the warmth of family far distant close to your heart.

I make some things in my kitchen and think of specific people. Pickles bring to mind a few special folks, bologna sandwiches another, and raising a glass of wine at dinner yet another.

I love this thread Robo, and I sincerely hope that everyone respects the spirit in which it was started so it can live on for a long long time.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:32 AM   #16
Head Chef

I have my mum's recipe book that she wrote favourites in from the 60s(when she got married) onwards. They may not be very exciting or anything but sometimes I just sit and hold the book and pore over it because its her handwriting and it brings back memories of good times or certain foods.
I love making some slices or biscuits which she used to make. At her funeral my cousin was remembering that mum always made Toll House biscuits.
I read a book once I think it was "Like water for chocolate" and the mood the cook was in when they cooked affected the foods taste etc I can't remember all the details but it really illustrated this thread.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:58 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I looked high and low for my mom's recipe for Hawaiian spareribs - I can remember her looking at a certain smaller cookbook with a metal ring binder - I spent hours, months, years - trying to find these wonderful ribs.

One day (probably about 7 years ago) I was holding the last book I had in my hands knowing FULL well this is the book I remembered but I had gone through it so many times before. Sitting there defeated - I tend to read cookbooks from the last page to the beginning (I don't know why) so instead of going to the index like I normally do I just opened up the back binder - there it was handwritten by her - my poor DH and son thought I had hurt myself I was crying so hard. Those were the BEST ribs ever - and I made her favorite side item like she did.

I too love to see recipes my mother has written down. I have her recipe box and I absolutely love looking at it even though it's this little plain brown box with some recipe apparently torn off the top of it that had stuck to it by accident.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 11:43 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

I think that cooking helps to define us as individuals.

Everything that we are is reflected in our cooking, our heritage, culture, race, economic status, whether we are from the city or the country,........

Cooking is one of the bonding glues that ties us to our peer group and family.

You know this when you serve family favorites that have come down from generation to generation. That is why you know without even asking, if certain dishes will be appreciated by your relatives.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:44 PM   #19
Master Chef

Raine, my friends and family call me "Mother Earth" because of my affinity with growing things. I am a very spiritual person, and feel a strong connection with those who have gone before me. I feel they will never die as long as I have them in my heart, so when I prepare my grandma's recipe for chicken pot pie or my Aunt Velma's big, soft, chewy sugar cookies, I feel close to them.
Spirituality is a hard thing to explain, but I found this definition: "devotion to metaphysical matters, as opposed to worldly things." I feel connections not only with friends and family, but all living and growing things...even the earth beneath my feet.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:48 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
yup I'm checkin up on this post. It seems we are really in tune with this, (and I thought your post on making your own traditions and home was very pertinent, kitchenelf.) There is a post under three crocks which could go here too. It is a wonderful tradition and connectedness to be using mom's wodden spoons, or dad's carving knife, or grandma's china, etc.
At first I thought what I wrote was pertinent then I thought it was just my own personal struggle with realizing that "home" was now where I lived. In retrospect I guess it was ok. Thanks for your statement on it though.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote