Cooking and spirituality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cooking is a very spiritual activity, I think, by it's very nature, When I'm cooking a meal (and I notice this while brewing beer as well) it's different from other hobbies because it's accomponanied by the realization that I'm CREATING something.

Fishing is another of my hobbies, and when stuff on the boat isn't breaking, it's a peaceful, relaxing activity, but when I'm making something in the brewery or in the kitchen, there's just something more that goes along with it. I'm not sure I completely understand it, but I go with it anyway.:mrgreen:

John

No disrespect intended but I disagree thast cooking is a spiritual activity because you are creating something. I would call it a creative activity.

IMO, spititual is becoming an overused word. Read this definition posted by Constance: "Spirituality is a hard thing to explain, but I found this definition: 'devotion to metaphysical matters, as opposed to worldly things.'..."

Cooking is working with worldly things.

Sometimes to accept a challenge to accomplish something you've never done before, like making a turducken. Sometimes to imagine you stand with the great chefs of the past by creating a killer Boeuf Bourguignon. Sometimes to fulfill a nostalgic need to recreate a recipe that has a comforting connection to a passed family member (mom's vegetable soup). I know I do that, but I see it as trying to recreate a happy memory, to maintain a link with a loved one and to be able to eat the foods I love.

I'm finished with this soap box, anyone else want it?

ironchef said:
it's pretty fun too.

It's supposed to be fun?? :glare:

I just had an insight into both sides as I have been on both sides. I also like the achievement and gratificaiton of having it all come together in the end -

Ironchef - See YOU do this for a living - you have to look at it totally different than me - I can get in the kitchen and start doing what I feel like - whatever need I need satisfying that's what I make - YOU have to get it done and get it done now and you only have one shot at it.

Allen - I think you probably have to look at it that way also (not have to but let's face it you go in and get the work done - yes you like it but you are there because that's where your creative outlet is - in a well-thought out dish. When I actually worked in a kitchen there was actually nothing spiritual about it - it was absolutely the gratification and creativity of every dish looking the best it can when it leaves your kitchen.

But in my little kitchen when I cook for my family I become nostalgic and it feeds my soul when I cook - hence the spirituality enters into it.

Our living area is all open, with the kitchen at it's center, and that is where friends and family gather. It has seen so much love and laughter...and some tears, too. Some who sat at my big old round oak table are gone now...but sweet young faces have come along to fill up my house again.
Above my kitchen sink is a window that looks out to the west across fields to the woods on the horizon. Just outside the window is big old hard maple tree, with a wooden swing, made long ago by my father, hanging from a lower limb. If only he knew how many children of all ages have enjoyed that swing.
I've also watched 19 years of sunsets through that window, and sky-watched for tornados as the storm clouds roll in.

People come into our home for the first time and say they can feel the love here. I think that's a pretty spiritual thing.

They always leave with a full tummy, too.

My motto is, "Feed'em up and Love'm up!"

When we cook lebanese food we feel that our ancesters are with us. I am the only non arabic person in my immediate family.

My Beloved Son, Shane

My one & only child died at the age of 23 on March 12, 2004. One of the passions that Shane & I shared was cooking. It seemed like we were always trying to outdo each other! "Try this!" "Now, you try this!"

He worked in several restaurants - pizza places, clam shacks & some fancy places. When the owners didn't mind, he would have me come there & cook beside him. He was teaching me the ropes at that point. I worked for free - just so we could be together. It still brings a smile to my face to think about those times. We often talked about having a restaurant or catering business together. A couple months before he died he went to check out some places for rent in the area. That was our dream. It's still my dream - if it ever happens, it will be called "Shane's Mom's Kooking/Katering" or something like that. SMK were his initials.

One of my favorite things to do is to feed people. It gives me more pleasure than anything else in this life. Cooking is my therapy & Shane is always with me when I am working in the kitchen. When I find a great new recipe, I want to share it with him. I wonder how he would have liked this & that. And I regret that I never got the details on some of the dishes he came up with on his own. :cry:

He's with me at the grocery store, too - that was/is one of the hardest places for me to go. There are so many reminders of him. There are so many things I want to buy for him. All these new products for him to try...

I treasure every memory of the son I so adored, but food seems to be the biggest reminder of him.

If you are interested in reading more about Shane, please visit http://www.truerwords.net/shane/memorial.html

Corinne

I'm saddened by your loss, Corinne. You and your son had a wonderful relationship and shared some beautiful moments. You will always have that to remember him by. I hope you can realize your dream to open a restaurant.

Cooking with a loved one is an opportunity to share the happiest of times. Those times have built memories that will be with you forever.

To put it (the spirituality of cooking) all into perspective - it's called "Soul" or "Comfort" food. I've had some really great food in fancy restaurants - but it only filled my belly. There was something missing ... the love that went into a homemade dish.

When you're sick do you want a bowl of canned soup or your grandma's homemade soup? When you celebrate some special occasion like Thanksgiving - do you remember the food more or the celebration of friends and family that shared that meal?

Call it "Soul", "Comfort" or "Ethnic" - if it feeds your soul/spirit as much as your body ... it's a "spiritual" experience.

Raine said:
For me, it would be the Earth. Connected to Mother Earth from my American Indian roots. All food comes from the earth.

what about moon pies?? :chef:

i am very spiritual with my cooking. i pray every time that it comes out edible, and thank god when i don't get "the wind" from it...:)

That was a sad story. I don't have anything to say other than I hope you continue to have good memories of him.:(

i just read back. corinne, i am truely sorry for your loss. i visited the memorial site you've posted. it's a beautiful thing you've done for him.

my prayers go out to you and your family.

Corinne, my oldest daughter was killed when she was 25 years old, leaving behind a frightened little 3 yr old boy. I had her when I was very young, and we grew up together.

Only those of us who have lost a child truly know the grief.
Here's a hug from someone who knows.

corrine i'm so sorry for your loss. i too only have 1 child. i can't imagine what it would be like if i lost him. my heart aches for you and i really hope your dream of opening a restaraunt comes true. thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

Corrinne, I read Shane's memorial. Thank you for sharing this beautiful memory of your beloved son with us. I wish I could put into words what I'm feeling, but I truly hope that someday, you'll see Shane again, and he'll be waiting, with open arms, to hug his amazing mom.

Corrinne, so soory for your loss. I can't even begin to imagine what it must be like.

Corrine and Constance my heart goes out to you. My grandfather once said to me that there was nothing on earth worse than losing your own child (his oldest died at 6)
I read Shane's memorial and it made me cry. How lucky he was to have such a loving family and friends.
Hugs to both of you.

Shane

Thank you for your kind words & thoughts, everyone. Whenever I read Shane's memorial it makes me weep, too - even after 16 months. My husband did such a good job with it & it just tears at my heart. Everyone with children knows how much they are a part of your identity. I feel kinda lost & as if I am drifting now. I wish Shane would have had a child of his own (legitimate or not!) so a piece of him could go on. They say when you lose your parents, you lose a piece of your past. When you lose a child, you lose your future.
The whole point of this was that cooking is my therapy now & it's my "time with Shane" these days. I revel in it.
Corinne

Back
Top Bottom