"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 02-11-2005, 09:15 PM   #11
Master Chef

When making a huge dinner, if I don't take out every singled darned thing I mean to put on the table and put it on the counter, I will always forget one dish. I'll go to the fridge or pantry the next day, or when putting together desert, and ... duh, there's a side dish I forgot. I also continually forget the things I don't care for myself. I'll invite folk over for dinner for 6 or 8, and not have a desert, or forget after-dinner coffee, or ..... I now always put someone else in charge of the things I know I consistently forget. Inevitably, I might add, when I DO get the coffee maker ready and on the sideboard near the outlet .... NO ONE WANTS COFFEE. Luckily, I've never had a disasterous one like the missing turkey on Thanksgiving!!!!

Elf, you sound like my husband. I'll never quite get it, because for the first half of our marriage, he did 90% of the grocery shopping (of course, we were both working more than full time, no kids, so how many meals were there?). Now if he goes, or even if he goes with me, I find we've purchased $200 worth of groceries, but only enough for one meal, the meal he had in mind. None of the rest make up an entire meal. MY $100-$200 worth of groceries means we don't have to go back for the rest of the week, and the pantry and freezer are fully stocked enough that if we had to we might be able to live off of it for a month.

Old 02-12-2005, 10:22 AM   #12
Head Chef

I went to the store for groceries and as I turned the cart into another isle to get a couple of loaves of bread and as I stood there in front of the shelves of bread I just froze. I forgot what I went down that isle for.

I set up a pot of coffee and then forgot to turn on the coffee maker. :roll:

I looked all over the house for my car keys and the whole time the keys where in my hand.

Worst of all I opened the trunk of my car and while shuffleing through some paper work I layed the keys down in the trunk. When done I picked up the papers and slamed down the trunk door locking keys inside.

I went to the store and when I got inside I realized I forgot to comb my hair before leaving the house. :oops:

- WOODROW WILSON
tweedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 10:31 AM   #13
Head Chef

Oh and I forgot about the time that I put a beef tongue on to boil and a peach pie in the oven and had eggs boiling on the stove top. In all three cases I forgot I had the stuff cooking and layed down and went to sleep. And by the time I woke the tongue was burnt dry. The pie was over cooked by 1 hour and burnt and the eggs had run out of water and were all cracked.

- WOODROW WILSON
Old 02-12-2005, 10:34 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

how about when food shopping, you turn around to pick out something, then toss it in your cart and move on, only to realize a few minutes later that half of the stuff in your cart you didn't put there :oops: . you stole someone else's cart. i've heard that this has happened to some people once or twice 8)

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 10:57 AM   #15
Head Chef

Never had anything like that happen but I did stop one time to get a pack of ciggarettes and as I steped outside to leave I opened the door of a car that I thought was mine and a lady poked her head out the door of the store and grinned and said "that's my car". I looked inside the car and noticed that everything inside was different and looked over to see my car parked next to hers. :oops: :oops:

How about the time I parked my car in a hospital parking garage and when I came out of the hospital I couldn't find my car and I just knew I had parked it in a perticular spot. It wound up I was looking for my car on the wrong ground level. :oops:

- WOODROW WILSON
Old 02-12-2005, 11:05 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
Mine is that we have a self lighting stove but it dosent always light. Sometimes Jenny will be like "what are you making? It smells like rotten eggs" and Im like "Rotten eggs? Im making... $#@#$#$@!!!" and I go running to shut it off.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:51 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

I put a pumpkin pie in the oven only to discover the can of pumpkin sitting on the counter! I quickly removed the pie from oven and gently stirred in the pumpkin. It came out fine. That was when I wasn't an old f*rt, too!
Old 02-12-2005, 11:56 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugaru
Mine is that we have a self lighting stove but it dosent always light. Sometimes Jenny will be like "what are you making? It smells like rotten eggs" and Im like "Rotten eggs? Im making... $#@#$#$@!!!" and I go running to shut it off.
thank god for mercaptan!

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 11:17 AM   #19
Executive Chef

How about cooking something you are not really supposed to cook up like a top to a Cool Whip container on a stove.

We all know a melting Cool Whip container is NOT GOOD EATS!!!
Old 02-13-2005, 01:45 PM   #20
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Before I got a ceramic top stove, I had those metal burner covers & I had a really bad habit of turning on an eye that was still covered. I would be cooking a start smelling something burning & realize that it was the metal burner cover. I couldn't tell you how many of those things I've burned!:oops: One time I even forgot to get a hot pad or towel to remove it after I burnt it! Talk about sounding like a drunk sailor! Man I let some words fly that made even my hubby blush!