"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-09-2004, 01:04 AM   #11
Head Chef

This happened just a month ago. My brother made homemade soymilk for the first time in years. This involved straining a big batch of minced soybean mash through cheesecloth and wringing the juices out the old fashioned way. Having no cheesecloth on hand, our mom dug up an old thin cloth in a closet. At the very moment the large pot was finally full with the soymilk for boiling, somebody remembered that the cloth used was my 11-year old niece's old nappies.

Needless to say, the whole day's work went down the drain.

Old 10-09-2004, 05:27 AM   #12

My cousin Jill tried to make brownies once and got the salt mixed up with the sugar.. her heart was in the right place though.

Old 10-09-2004, 12:22 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

do not, and i repeat, do not ever prepare habaneros for pickling while drinking beer on a hot day without gloves...

i was doing this once barehanded, and because beer is only rented, i had to go to the bathroom. bad idea. after jumping around from the extreme heat applied to a sensitive place, i had to wipe the sweat and tears from my eyes. great. now i'm blind too, and there's no way to soothe either pain...
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 11:03 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
do not, and i repeat, do not ever prepare habaneros for pickling while drinking beer on a hot day without gloves...

i was doing this once barehanded, and because beer is only rented, i had to go to the bathroom. bad idea. after jumping around from the extreme heat applied to a sensitive place, i had to wipe the sweat and tears from my eyes. great. now i'm blind too, and there's no way to soothe either pain...
Buckytom, OUCH!!! You are so funny, I almost spilled my coffee almost came out of my nose. What a mental image, ROF. We'll have to nickname you "Hot Stuff."
Old 10-10-2004, 01:40 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesterchippy
I have totally repressed any of my own, but still hold this one against my Mom. One Thanksgiving she reached for the Wesson Oil to put on the turkey but instead she grabbed the Lestoil. I know they look alike, but why did she keep them in the same pantry?
Oh Christ :!: That is the best.
Old 10-10-2004, 01:43 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

My brother will never let me forget the time I dropped his birthday cake on the way to the table.
Old 10-10-2004, 01:46 PM   #17
Executive Chef

I dropped a platter full of frilled chicken on the lawn. Did the same with a platter full of Fillet Mignon steaks. Ughhh!
Old 10-10-2004, 03:09 PM   #18
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
Mish's story reminded me of something that happened in one of my cookery classes at school.

We had to make traditional tea cakes (basic butter cake with cinnamon sugar on top, not one of my favourites)

My friend Candy (who was very tall for her age with masses of bright red curly hair and a voice like she has smoked a packet of cigarettes for breakfast - she hadn't) was in a group of three girls with Marketa (she could speak four languages, had never had anything less than a 90% score for anything in her life, was brilliant at maths, science anything she turned her hand to)

Candy had managed to persuade her mother to buy her some Adidas Rome sneakers. Candy's family weren't well off and it was a real battle.

Marketa had her cake on the floor while she adjusted the oven racks (an absolute nono, we were meant to do that before we lit the oven. Candy steps back, and squelch! into the cake. Marketa was mortified, but Candy was hysterical!!!! A very funny fight broke out with Candy at full volume, and Marketa shouting in a mixture of Czech English, German and Russian!

The next week, the teacher made them all work together. Marketa, who had calmed down by this point, haughtily took this week's cake out of the oven and turned it out. It looked beautiful, for about ten seconds, it disintegrated volcano like all over the bench. She hadn't put any eggs in the butter cake!!!

Poetic justice.