"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-08-2004, 04:24 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Cooking Catastrophes?

Wasn't sure where to put this topic, but thought it might be an interesting way to learn from each other's mistakes, or have a good chuckle. Would love to hear bout your kichen catastrophes (sp?).

It started in home ec. Our cooking class was making muffins that day. We were all divided in groups of four. The teacher instructed us to half the recipe. A member of our group, inadvertantly(?) put in the full amount of yeast, or maybe doubled it. (Whatever that stuff is that makes things rise...you can tell I'm quite the baker.) You guessed it, those muffins just grew & grew in the muffin tin until they all welded together into one huge muffin. It just kept on rising.

When the teacher came around to our station, I think I could almost see smoke coming out of her ears. Wow, was she angry. Needless to say, we didn't get a passing mark on that one. To this day, whenever I see that Lucy episode of her baking bread, & it comes shooting out of the oven, I remember those muffins & giggle.

Old 10-08-2004, 04:48 PM   #2
Senior Cook

I have totally repressed any of my own, but still hold this one against my Mom. One Thanksgiving she reached for the Wesson Oil to put on the turkey but instead she grabbed the Lestoil. I know they look alike, but why did she keep them in the same pantry?

Old 10-08-2004, 05:17 PM   #3
Certified Executive Chef

Re: Cooking Catastrophes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish
Wasn't sure where to put this topic, but thought it might be an interesting way to learn from each other's mistakes, or have a good chuckle. Would love to hear bout your kichen catastrophes (sp?).

It started in home ec. Our cooking class was making muffins that day. We were all divided in groups of four. The teacher instructed us to half the recipe. A member of our group, inadvertantly(?) put in the full amount of yeast, or maybe doubled it. (Whatever that stuff is that makes things rise...you can tell I'm quite the baker.) You guessed it, those muffins just grew & grew in the muffin tin until they all welded together into one huge muffin. It just kept on rising.

When the teacher came around to our station, I think I could almost see smoke coming out of her ears. Wow, was she angry. Needless to say, we didn't get a passing mark on that one. To this day, whenever I see that Lucy episode of her baking bread, & it comes shooting out of the oven, I remember those muffins & giggle.
Mish, that is hillarious, I can just see it. You may be too young to remember this, but on I Love Lucy she and her buddy Ethel were making bread and she added 4-5 times the yeast (the raising stuff) and when she opened the oven door this hugh loaf of bread pinned her to the cabinets across her kitchen. The show is in reruns always so maybe you can catch it. Anyone else see it???
Old 10-08-2004, 05:18 PM   #4
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesterchippy
I have totally repressed any of my own, but still hold this one against my Mom. One Thanksgiving she reached for the Wesson Oil to put on the turkey but instead she grabbed the Lestoil. I know they look alike, but why did she keep them in the same pantry?
At the risk of creating an image that I am just another dumb blond, what is Lestoil??? Never heard of it, but judging from your remark it must have the same effect as castor oil?? or cod liver oil??
Old 10-08-2004, 05:19 PM   #5
Everymom

Cleaning product sort of like Pine Sol.
Old 10-08-2004, 05:22 PM   #6
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
THanks Alix, I am certain the turkey had little to say about it, what about the guests?
Old 10-08-2004, 05:31 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Ha Ha, Norgeskog - that's the Lucy espisode I remember so well. That's what those muffins looked like.

Since turkey time is coming, I'll fess up. Yes, I didn't know to remove that package of giblets from the bird the first time I made a turkey... & yes I cooked it & had a turkey suprise.

Talk about reaching for the wrong stuff. The ex boyfriend & I ordered take out pizza, that came with two unmarked packets. One was Parmesan cheese, the other hot red pepper flakes. (I hate spicey food.) I was making an Alfredo dish & asked him to hand me the Parm...he gave me the red pepper flakes instead. The dish was so hot, had to run for the water. He thought it very amusing. We don't date anymore.
Old 10-08-2004, 05:31 PM   #8
Certified Executive Chef

About 30 years ago, I was in a group of four couples who got together monthly at eachothers home for a gourmet meal. It was friendly competition each of us ladies trying to outdo the other with menu, decorations, etc. When it was my turn, I decided to have as my entree Shrimp Curry, which involves a lot of chopping of the vegie ingredients. I must add that at this time I was having weekly manicures and my nails were really loooooooooooong and bright red. WHen I was getting ready to bring the main course to the table, in looked down and the nail on one of my fingers had been chopped of flat on time, like it was lobbed off by my chefs knife during my chopping. I took a spatula and tried searching for the nail in the curry but to no avail. With red peppers in it it was impossibel to find. I hoped I was the one to get the nail. No one said a word, and the red nail was not on anyones plate when I cleared the table for dessert. The nail never appeared, I can only hope that it was amoung the tossed choppings.
Old 10-08-2004, 05:32 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by norgeskog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
THanks Alix, I am certain the turkey had little to say about it, what about the guests?
I'd complain you are much younger than I am, but they still make Lestoil! Yes,it's a cleaning product. If I remember correctly (I was younger than you must be now) my dad washed it off and we ate it. Hey, I'm still here to talk about it! (But I have no idea how it affected my brain.)
Old 10-08-2004, 05:37 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
i had none myself but i remember when my aunt was taking the turkey out of the freezer. wouldn't you know it she dropped it right on her foot