"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 07-17-2005, 06:59 PM   #1
Executive Chef
Cooking Challenge #2

Anchovies is the required ingredient. How do you use them?
I like mine on pizza and in a caeser salad.

You are not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
Bangbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 10:21 PM   #2
Executive Chef
First spam and now anchovies I posted a recipe somewhere on here for escarole pies, which uses anchovies but oddly enough no one replied to it I love it, but hey to each his/her own.

amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 10:58 PM   #3
Executive Chef
anchovies are wonderful as an antepasta item. great on pizza and salads, melted into evoo as the base of sauces, in an English fisherman's pie.
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 10:58 PM   #4
Master Chef

A friend of mine is Italian and she puts them in alot of recipes. I personally don't care for them. But once she put them in a dish and did not tell me and I didn't know the difference. But I couldn't eat them on pizza, bang!!
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 11:07 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
some of my favorite southern italian seafood dishes, especially ones with tomato sauce, benefit from having either chopped anchovies, or anchovy paste added to them to give the sauce a seafood-ey flavor. like shrimp and scallops (and/or whatever shellfish) fra diavolo.

or how about just olive oil, s&p, and fresh chopped garlic rubbed skewered and grilled fresh anchovies.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 11:23 PM   #6
Master Chef
i love anchovies. mainly in caeser dressing and on pizza. yum. so that's my pick.
i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 01:21 AM   #7
DC Grandma
Years ago in the Chief's Club in Pensacola Florida they had the best Green Goddess Salad Dressing! I know those little fish were in it...
May I always be the person my dog thinks I am.

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 02:27 AM   #8
Sous Chef
I love anchovies swimming around in the sea. :) Sorry about that. THey are too salty for me now. I use to love them in pizza as a kid, the more the happier I was. No I can't stand the little salty things.
IcyMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 03:21 AM   #9
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to kyles
I love them as a base for sauces, especially with lamb. Sometimes I roll them up and stick them into the slits in a leg of lamb, with sliced garlic in the slit as well. My dh claimed to hate anchovies, but I hide them in everything and he never seems to notice. I smuggled them in on a pizza once, and he did comment on the taste but didn't twig that it was an anchovy!!!
kyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 06:41 AM   #10
Master Chef
Because I am such a coward, I simply keep a tube of anchovie paste on hand. It lasts a long time and is easy to use. Green Goddess isn't ... well, simply isn't... without anchovies. It can also add a certain ... je ne sais quois ... to a lot of dishes. On top of it, I use the anchovie paste in Asian dishes that call for fish sauce (nuc maum, etc). For true cowards, by the way, Worcestershire sauce contains this. I just about knocked the socks off of a vegan-wanna-be when I told her vegans don't eat Worcestershire sauce! But I use anchovie paste wherever I normally might want anchovies. Most recipes I see call for a couple of anchovies, and of course you can't buy a couple, at least in the midwest. Keeping that little tube of paste on hand will make you some great sauces and salad dressings, without the smell and inconvenience.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote