Cooking Challenge #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bangbang

Executive Chef
Anchovies is the required ingredient. How do you use them?
I like mine on pizza and in a caeser salad.

First spam and now anchovies:ROFLMAO: I posted a recipe somewhere on here for escarole pies, which uses anchovies but oddly enough no one replied to it:LOL: I love it, but hey to each his/her own.

anchovies are wonderful as an antepasta item. great on pizza and salads, melted into evoo as the base of sauces, in an English fisherman's pie.

A friend of mine is Italian and she puts them in alot of recipes. I personally don't care for them. But once she put them in a dish and did not tell me and I didn't know the difference. But I couldn't eat them on pizza, bang!!

some of my favorite southern italian seafood dishes, especially ones with tomato sauce, benefit from having either chopped anchovies, or anchovy paste added to them to give the sauce a seafood-ey flavor. like shrimp and scallops (and/or whatever shellfish) fra diavolo.

or how about just olive oil, s&p, and fresh chopped garlic rubbed skewered and grilled fresh anchovies.

i love anchovies. mainly in caeser dressing and on pizza. yum. so that's my pick.

Years ago in the Chief's Club in Pensacola Florida they had the best Green Goddess Salad Dressing! I know those little fish were in it...
Dove

I love anchovies swimming around in the sea. :) Sorry about that. THey are too salty for me now. I use to love them in pizza as a kid, the more the happier I was. No I can't stand the little salty things.

I love them as a base for sauces, especially with lamb. Sometimes I roll them up and stick them into the slits in a leg of lamb, with sliced garlic in the slit as well. My dh claimed to hate anchovies, but I hide them in everything and he never seems to notice. I smuggled them in on a pizza once, and he did comment on the taste but didn't twig that it was an anchovy!!!

Because I am such a coward, I simply keep a tube of anchovie paste on hand. It lasts a long time and is easy to use. Green Goddess isn't ... well, simply isn't... without anchovies. It can also add a certain ... je ne sais quois ... to a lot of dishes. On top of it, I use the anchovie paste in Asian dishes that call for fish sauce (nuc maum, etc). For true cowards, by the way, Worcestershire sauce contains this. I just about knocked the socks off of a vegan-wanna-be when I told her vegans don't eat Worcestershire sauce! But I use anchovie paste wherever I normally might want anchovies. Most recipes I see call for a couple of anchovies, and of course you can't buy a couple, at least in the midwest. Keeping that little tube of paste on hand will make you some great sauces and salad dressings, without the smell and inconvenience.

I love them in Bagna Caulda! It's a dipping sauce made of butter, EVOO, garlic and anchovies, and is delicious. Just make sure your significant other eats some too, or you may not get a kiss for several days. :(

I LOVE ANCHOVIES! I eat anchovies right out of the jar. I can eat a whole can of Goya anchovie-stuffed olives as a snack.

I put them in salad dressing and use them in many difft. sauces. I also put them in tossed and composed salads

Usually you get really BAD anchovies on pizza and I am somewhat of an anchovie SNOB because I love them so much. So I never order them on pizza.

My whole family are anchovie fiends. I was probably 12 years old when I found out that other people didn't like them!

Bang,

my aunt use to love to intertain and I remember this lovely dip she made...YUP with anchovies..You can use the tube of anchovies if you want but she use to take 8 oz. of cream cheese, add several cloves of crushed garlic, worchestershire sauce, say 6-8 drops, a little cream to thin the cream cheese so it was easier to dip into, then she would add the can of anchovies hat she had mashed in their oil and add this to the cheese mix..I loved dipping potato chips in it and the grown ups liked a fancy small cracker.. I even use to take the left overs and smear it on slices of french bread..
kadesma:LOL:

I've never cooked with them before.
Had them on pizza once and I thought they were fine.

kadesma said:
Bang,

my aunt use to love to intertain and I remember this lovely dip she made...YUP with anchovies..You can use the tube of anchovies if you want but she use to take 8 oz. of cream cheese, add several cloves of crushed garlic, worchestershire sauce, say 6-8 drops, a little cream to thin the cream cheese so it was easier to dip into, then she would add the can of anchovies hat she had mashed in their oil and add this to the cheese mix..I loved dipping potato chips in it and the grown ups liked a fancy small cracker.. I even use to take the left overs and smear it on slices of french bread..

That sounds real good.:chef:

Thanks Bang,

I love it and I got my kids to eat it by not telling them what it was til after they tried it:LOL:
kadesma

kadesma said:
Bang,

kadesma - that DOES sound yummy! I've never bought anchovies before :blush: and really not sure if I've ever eaten them...I'm gonna try the dip! thanks :)

Constance said:
I love them in Bagna Caulda! It's a dipping sauce made of butter, EVOO, garlic and anchovies, and is delicious. Just make sure your significant other eats some too, or you may not get a kiss for several days. :(

that sounds so good, constance. do you have a recipe? what do you serve it with?

callie said:
kadesma - that DOES sound yummy! I've never bought anchovies before :blush: and really not sure if I've ever eaten them...I'm gonna try the dip! thanks :)
Your welcome Callie, I love anchovies, eat them right out of the tin:LOL: My kids love the dip but wont try them alone, say the little bones tickle:LOL: Hope you like the dip it's one of my favorites..We have it at all our parties and holidays.
kadesma:)

Back
Top Bottom