"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 04-17-2006, 04:08 PM   #11
Master Chef
Originally Posted by Claire
... I think my first coooking lessons were things like chili and spaghetti sauce.
The first things I learned to cook were bacon, fried eggs (basted with the bacon grease), and pancakes. After that came grilled cheese. And then, the lessons that taught me about things not to make, such as fried sardines.

The point of this is that it is just as important to teach that some things should only be done with an adult present, such as frying anything in hot oil, or cooking things that require moving pans of boiling water to the sink, things that could potentially cause serious injury (and that includes improper use of cutting tools).

And I thought of the thing that taught my youngest daughter (not 20 years of age) about getting flavors ballanced. She would open cans of veggies and mix them together in a pot, add seasonings, and create her own soups. And though they came from mixed cans, juice intact, they tasted pretty good.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 04:12 PM   #12
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by jim nehmzow
The company I work for provides close to 1000 day care meals per day. One of our largest clients is looking for me to do a hands on cooking demo / class for the children. The ages are from pre school to, 12 to 13 year olds. They would prefer the content be teaching actual technique for producing real edible food to develop self sufficiency skills. I have done some Chefs Tables and a couple of fun interactive dinners with adults but never anything with children. Any suggestions?? Thanks
Welcome to DC, Jim.

Kudos to you for providing 1000 day care meals a day. Perhaps the recipes you use for day care can be translated for kids to prepare in easy terms.

I would concentrate on healthy wholesome foods like chicken, salads, fruits and veggies, fish, healthy pasta dishes, etc. IMO edible food & self sufficiency need not include pizza, meatloaf, spaghetti & meatballs. Sets up a bad example of bad eating habits.

Take them on a field trip to a Farmers' market or a supermarket and give them a budget to spend for a typical family meal & give advice about home cooked healthy meals.

Ask them what their favorite meals are, & do a healthy recipe makeover, i.e. hot dogs, hamburgers and fries.

mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 02:20 AM   #13
Senior Cook
No offense, but I wouldn't go with fish as a majority of kids don't like it. I would use vegetables that most kids are familiar with (green beans, carrots) and leave out things like, say, asparagus. It's not so hard to make healthy versions of what the kids like to eat best. There's nothing wrong with eating meatloaf if there's rice and veggies on the place, or spaghetti with a salad, you know? My point is if you teach them to cook with ingredients that aren't part of their regular eating habits, there's little chance that those will end up in their fridge at home.

Ooh! I have another suggestion. I think all kids should know how to make pancakes!

biev is offline   Reply With Quote