"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 12-22-2007, 09:32 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Cooking question for our global family

i have noticed that many of you come from countries other that the u.s.a.

my question is do u make american dishes. are they exotic to you as many of you dishes are for us.

if u do, could u tell us what you make and any changes you make to them

babe

Old 12-22-2007, 09:44 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Hi Babe! I've only been on this site for a few weeks and am yet to make anything from here so far, although I do have the ingredients for Katie E's Green Salad waiting in the wings. So far, the biggest reason why I haven't tried anything is for the most part the meals are aimed at the cooler weather, where as here it is all summer foods and minimalist preparation and cooking. Come winter, I expect I will be looking further into the recipes at DC.

And yes, I find some of the dishes very baffling! Sometimes the ingredients themselves are confusing and sometimes it is just very hard imagining how something is meant to taste to know if you fancy giving it a go! Packet mixes also can complicate things as a lot of items aren't readily available over here.

I really just enjoy reading the site and being part of the community at large. I take away some tips and info and store them in the back of my mind for future use.

Old 01-06-2008, 01:15 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
babetoo,
I was born abroad (South America) and living in Michigan for the last 20 yrs.
Back home, people doesn't make a lot of American food other than burguers and hot dogs. American dishes that come from Europe are popular (Pizza, etc.) but things like ribs w/bbq sauce, cheesecake or gumbo are not known. Some American chain restaurants like TGIF opened in Argentina and Brazil, I'd imagine they will offer American menus and this trend may change.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:30 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilby View Post
Come winter, I expect I will be looking further into the recipes at DC.
That's when we'll be discussing summer menus
Old 01-07-2008, 03:49 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Just picture me, Pacanis, on the recipe treadmill like a hamster, always trying to catch you guys up!!! I'll become a bilby in a spin!!! ROFL
Old 01-07-2008, 06:59 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Consider that you are 6 months ahead of the US rather than behind.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:03 AM   #7
Executive Chef

I do some American dishes, but have rather a mixed cuisine - I was born in Africa and now live in England.

I would also say that we are in a much more multicultural world and a lot of dishes are becoming universal - even the classic American dishes are based on dishes from other parts of the world that the original settlers & later immigrants took with them.

My main "problem" is the measurements when using recipes from elsewhere -0 I have always used weights and get a little confused when the recipe asks for cups of things.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:08 AM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman View Post
...My main "problem" is the measurements when using recipes from elsewhere -0 I have always used weights and get a little confused when the recipe asks for cups of things.

Globalization of recipes on sites such as this underline the need for a common measuring system. The metric system should be adopted worldwide.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:43 AM   #9
Senior Cook

I think sometimes the dishes only have a different name, sheppard´s pie become pastel de papa and meatloaf is rollo de carne. Its just that sometimes the seasonings are a little different. That`s why I love to hear of the recipes in Discuss cooking, to prepare things in a different way, and learn new things, always delicious!
Old 01-07-2008, 10:13 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Globalization of recipes on sites such as this underline the need for a common measuring system. The metric system should be adopted worldwide.
And what most folks don't realize, is that it's easier to work with, as well! Especially when you have to scale recipes up and down for different yields.