"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 12-20-2004, 07:41 PM   #11
Certified Executive Chef
Originally Posted by Lugaru
norgeskog, Michael in FtW... I was once woken up by a grease fire. That really messed me up. I was asleep and the Ex decided to boil some aromatic oils (without any water) in my favorite pan. I wake up in the middle of screaming, toxic smoke and flame like light coming out of the kitchen. For a half asleep dude I reacted pretty much ok... I walked calmly with the flaming pan and threw the burning oil into the bathtub. Then I dropped the pan in there and opened the shower curtain. Normally I would of just cut the air off but you know, half asleep and all.

And yeah, I lost a pan I loved too and our walls where black for a while...
Real bummer, M FtW. hate stuff like that.

norgeskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 07:59 PM   #12
Master Chef
LOL crewsk ... did it wearing shorts a few times - you get used to little burning spots of flesh on your chest and stomach ..... wearing a bikini would have been a different story for another chat room ...

One of the world's most dangerous jobs ... fry cook in a nudist camp ....

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 08:10 PM   #13
Master Chef
Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Michael, it was a very stupid mistake! I had been laying out in the sun & the kids wanted BLT's for lunch. I didn't wnt to change because I was going to go back outside. Well, I decided to put on a shirt about half way through cookig the bacon & I didn't go back outside to finish wrrking on my tan.
"Treat everyone with politeness,even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are."
crewsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 08:57 PM   #14
Mistake 1. 25 years ago I was renting a very old timber home, no stove. We had a small plugin oven with a hotplate on top that did not work. Yeah, times were tough.
We also used an electric frying pan for a lot of our cooking.
One Christmas I decided to make a pudding. The traditional one in the pudding cloth.
I used the electric frying pan as a hotplate and sat the boiler inside.
It was 4-6 hours slow simmer from memory. It was around 9pm when I started the cooking and we decided to watch a couple of videos while we were waiting.
Well, about 1.30 in the morning my wife and I woke up to a crackling noise and could smell smoke.
I raced into the kitchen to find flames licking up the timber walls. I can't remember how I put it out but being here to relate this, I must have.
What happened was, the thermostat apparently malfunctioned on the frying pan. The base was aluminium not stainless steel. The pan overheated resulting in the fryingpan base melting.
The molten aluminium dripped onto the wooden benchtop and up she went.
LESSON: Never use aluminium cookware and ALWAYS keep watch. This was a lesson that I did not heed for another disaster struck years later.

Mistake 2. One day I decided to make a curry. I put the onions and oil into the pot to fry up. Then the phone rang.
It was only a short call and when I finished I remembered that I needed to go to the shopping centre for something or other.
So off I went to the shopping centre and about 15 minutes later I asked myself the question, "Did I turn the stove off?"
I raced back home, opened the front door and could not see in front of me for the black smoke.
Not taking any precautions (although I had had some training) I raced into the kitchen, coughing and spluttering, saw the pot on fire and flames eating away the curtains and grabbed the pot with a teatowel I found and tried to take it outside, the flames just got worse with the movement and I dropped it on the linoleum floor, burning a large hole. I somehow managed to put the fire out.
The smell of smoke stayed around for 12 months. We had three carpet cleans to get the smell out of the carpet. We spent many hours cleaning the smoke blackened walls in each room. Our clothes in the wardrobes weren't immune either.

Do not get distracted for a moment when cooking with oil. Turn it off if you have to leave for what may be only a few seconds, it's easy to forget. The ironic thing here was, the lid for the pot was nearby and I could have put it on the pot to kill the flames. Panic.

Mistake 3. While I was sitting here posting and reading replies a couple of nights ago, I asked my wife if she could make me an icecream cone.
No probs as usual but she could not find the icecream scoop. So she brought the icecream tub and a ceramic Chinese soup spoon, like the ones in the restaurants. She said the icecream was too hard and could I scoop it out with the spoon.
No worries, I am the master of Chinese utensils.
Well, there I was scooping with this spoon exuding a lot of pressure scraping the icecream towards me.
SNAP!! the spoon broke in half. I looked into the icecream tub and thought to myself 'this is supposed to be vanilla flavour not raspberry ripple'.
Then I looked at my right thumb and saw a flap of skin hanging from the first knuckle to the tip of my thumb.
I couldn't stop the bleeding and drove to the hospital, must have been on automatic pilot, and got seven stitches in it.
LESSON: Always use the right utensil for the job.
WayneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 09:20 PM   #15

Like MiFW says, you aren't the first, and you certainly will not be the last!

While I am absolutely certain that I have done things at least as dumb (if not dumber!), not many are coming up out of the memory banks tonight, as I am avidly awaiting the arrivals of son and daughters tomorrow night, and the ensuing "big beef" dinner...as well as subsequent "gourmet efforts" for the five days of the year we manage to be together...

Other than the year my Mom elected to "go back to work", as she wanted a dining room suite, a patio and a few other things my Dad's modest salary couldn't cover...as a result, us kids had to "learn how to do lunch", and PB+J got very boring, very quickly...

Not a big problem, except we had, at that date, a gas stove, so it was pretty obvious which burner you had turned on...

Subsequently, Mom bought an electric stove (must tag this on, its amusing!) and, in an attempt to make "porridge" for my father, I rested the paper bag of oatmeal on the rear burner, placed the water filled pot on the front, and activated the wrong switch...and of course, "strolled off" to watch TV, I suppose...returned to find a cold pot of water beside a gloriously aflame bag of oatmeal....fortunately, my parents were "forgiving"...

Mom was the second oldest of 13 children (what did you do in 1900's when the prairies were just opening up and settling in, when it got so freaking cold?), and her youngest brother "Ivor" (I expect they were running out of names!) was a bit of a "project"...anyways, she was working at the hospital on afternoons, and had instructed him how he could "cook" the very first version of "TV Dinner" in the oven, after whatever period of time, you ripped away the foil over the meat, so it got fully cooked from the frozen state of the offering's start...

So anyways, she's walking home from the bus stop, and who does she see, but her youngest brother, no hair, no eyebrows, almost literally "blackened and singed"...and very hungry...

Turns out that he had stuffed the frozen pan into the oven, "commanded" 400 degrees, and waited ten minutes...(forgetting to light the pilot light), and, after ten minutes is "astounded" by the smell and the frosted state of dinner...and is "prompted" to light a match for the pilot...

And a three hour wait, for "someone competent" to arrive...as a cook, Ivor has difficulties with sandwiches...

Lifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 04:35 AM   #16
Lifter, they were two very funny experiences, for us that is.
WayneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 09:14 AM   #17
Executive Chef
Ok, here's the two that I can remember.

1) I used to work in a fast-food ice cream / hamburger / grocery chain. About 12 years ago, that chain started doing breakfast to compete with the other chains. Being in the South, you have to have Biscuits and Gravy (I think it's a law somewhere :) ). Well, we used a mix, made from what I now know to be dehydrated milk, preactivated corn starch, salt, pepper, and a few other things. We would chop up some sausage patties, fill three coffeepots with extremely hot water, and add all this, plus three gravy packets, to a large pot that would fit in a steam kettle. Well, the water came out of the hot water spigot on the coffee machine, usually at about 180°F. I had made a pot of gravy, and in the process of transporting into the steam kettle to keep it warm, I managed to drop the pot. Now, it only dropped a few inches from my hands onto the counter, but, it was enough of a drop to make some gravy splash up and onto my face. OUCH!

2) Always know where your fingers are when you're working with a knife. I was cutting some bread for croutons with a serrated knife, and wasn't paying attention to where my thumb was. I found out really quickly, when I managed to tag the tip of my thumb, removing a little of the thumbnail, and almost sliced the skin off the tip. That one required three stitches.

Most cooks are extremely safety-minded. We work with hot, heavy, and extremely sharp equipment. I'm always asking for help with I'm moving a big pan full of boiling water when I'm cooking shrimp or draining cooked pasta. If I notice someone needs something up high, I help. Same if someone else needs help moving a heavy load. We always tell someone when we're behind them, or call out "Hot pan!" when we're moving something hot.

Of course, I've managed to burn myself, and cut myself, so much that small "scratches" and minor first-degree burns rarely get noticed. Of course, I have to be careful with cuts, if they're oozing blood, you've got to keep it bandaged until it heals. And, it seems like I always manage to nick a finger more often than anything else.
Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 10:29 AM   #18
Master Chef
Send a message via MSN to crewsk
I remembered another thing. I was making a large pineapple cass. one day for a family thing & I used one of those foil pans. Well, as I was taking the cass. out of the oven, the foil pan bent & spilled hot, sugary pineapple cass down the front of my legs. Luckily I was wearing a long rather loose fitting skirt at the time of it would have been all over my legs. I learned from that to always use a cookie sheet under those pans when cooking in them. They bend really easily when they get hot.
"Treat everyone with politeness,even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are."
crewsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 10:32 AM   #19
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 10:56 AM   #20
Hospitality Queen
Crewsk, maybe you need to ask Santa for a very thick, steel-backed apron.

I've done stupid stuff in the kitchen, but have forgotten most as I've gotten older. The dumbest food thing that scarred me is a marshmallow. How many of you have a scar from a marshmallow? My sister & I used to get out the metal coat hangers and bend 'em for cooking in the big flagstone fireplace Dad had made. Well, there I am, about 8 years old, enjoying my charred mallows, and *pop*! One explodes, leaving a sugary mess on top of my hand. It's tiny now, but that did keep me from "cooking" for a while! After that, we stuck to melting down crayons on the fireplace.

Come visit my foodie blog: www.SockmonkeysKitchen.com
This week's topic: Pinterest and Potatoes
jkath is offline   Reply With Quote