"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 12-21-2004, 11:42 AM   #21
Executive Chef
Many moons ago during my Friday's stint, some poor soul dropped a rack of wine glasses in the back of the house during a Sunday lunch rush. The kitchen and expo area were shut down and we gave the lunch crowd free gift certificates for dinner. Talk about irate customers!!! Many people understood but many more didn't understand the concept of glass shards+food=hospital visit. :roll:

DampCharcoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 02:56 PM   #22
I remember once when working as a kitchenhand, working on my own, it was about 2 am and I had just about finished my shift. The floors had been scrubbed with degreaser, mopped up and the place sparkled, I was very proud of myself. Then I remembered that I had not replaced the oil in the deep fryers that I had cleaned out.

all I had to do was replace the oil that had been filtered. So in it went. Fryer one, fryer two. Fryer three.
What I did not realise was that the drain valve had not been shut off on fryer 3.
Well, I went and got changed, and returned to the kitchen for a final check of my duties before lights out and lockup.
Can you imagine the knots in my stomach and the expletives uttered that I had learned in that kitchen but never normally used, when I saw all the oil over the kitchen floor, it was everywhere, under benchers and every nook and cranny it could run too.
I finished cleaning it up, in my own time. with about 10 minutes to spare before the Day shift started. There was one dirty, red faced kitchen hand confronting them at the start of their shift. Not much degreaser left either.

WayneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 03:03 PM   #23
Master Chef
Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Originally Posted by jkath
Crewsk, maybe you need to ask Santa for a very thick, steel-backed apron.
That sounds like a good idea but I think I would have trouble moving aroung it it. Don't you?
"Treat everyone with politeness,even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are."
crewsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 05:05 PM   #24
Assistant Cook
Send a message via AIM to Tasha Send a message via Yahoo to Tasha

Well, my MAJOR blunder in the kitchen was over a year and a half ago when I burnt our kitchen down. Thus the saga goes........

I was getting ready for work and was going to fry a couple of eggs for an egg sandwich to eat before I left. I put the eggs on a tea towel on the counter next to the stove, put the pan on stove, it and put in my butter. While I was waiting for my butter to melt so I could break my eggs, my cell phone rang back in my bedroom. So, I removed my pan off the burner, therefore removing any fire hazard in my mind, and went to answer my phone. I ended up talking on the phone for a few minutes and then having forgotten about leaving a burner on, I went to get in the shower. For some reason I suddenly realized that I left my burner on so I went to turn it off figuring I didn't have time to fix my sandwich. I rounded the corner into the kitchen and my cabinets were ablaze!! I guess in the process of removing the pan from the stove, I knocked the tea towel onto the burner. The towel was also lying on the coffee pot that was not on so when the towel caught fire, it caught my coffee pot which started the cabinets which torched the center part of my house. Complete rebuild from the studs, new roof and back one-third of my house.

Tasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 06:37 PM   #25
Master Chef
Originally Posted by WayneT
Then I looked at my right thumb and saw a flap of skin hanging from the first knuckle to the tip of my thumb.
I couldn't stop the bleeding and drove to the hospital, must have been on automatic pilot, and got seven stitches in it.
LESSON: Always use the right utensil for the job.
WayneT, now you know how I felt two weeks ago. Hope your thumb is better soon.

1. Remove all sharp objects from sink before sticking your hands in the sink. Result a trip to the ER and six stitches.

2. Stir hot liquids slowly and make sure your pot is deep enough. Result spilling hot liquid on arm and several small burns.

3. Never leave anything unattended on the stove. Result one ruined pan. Luckily, no fire.

4. Always push the coffee filter basket all the way in on the coffee maker. Result one flooded counter with coffee grains everywhere.
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 06:57 PM   #26
Head Chef
Well, it's not exactly cooking, but it is large scale, so I'll throw it in here...

I was cleaning up after brewing a batch of beer, and doing a thorough clean in place of the brewing rig. I had 15 gallons of cleaning solution (water and oxyclean) nearly up to a boil when I pulled a kettle off of the brewstand. It took about .5 seconds to realize I had forgotten to fasten the stand to the base. The resulting imbalance saw the entire stand, with 15 gallons of hot cleaning solution, and a still going propane burner, go crashing over.

Fortunatly it fell away from me, and I just had to jump fast to turn of the propane, and then sweep out the garage (which needed cleaning anyways...)

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 10:09 PM   #27
Sous Chef
Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
Man, that's a close call, it could of done some major damage. I tell you, its things like that which remind you how lucky you are to be healthy and alive.
My english, she's not so good... I meant to say I did it with the malice of forethought.
Lugaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 10:30 PM   #28
Senior Cook
1) Turned on the stove to fry an egg. It was only on a few seconds, tops. But the handle was turned 180 degrees from where I needed it and I grabbed the pan with my bare hand. Two weeks of agony while typing.

2) Didn't watch where my thumb was while making eggs last Saturday. Now I have a divot in the outer curve of the thumb tip. Soaked through the fingertip BandAid almost instantly, but still went to work. Looks not too bad right now.

3) Turned on gas stove to heat a kettle. Did not ensure pilot light came on. Went to the rear of the house to read and await the kettle whistle. Gave myself serious gas poisoning that left me ill for two days.

4) Opened a canned ham and broke the key. Thought, "No problem" and pulled the strip of metal to get the rest of it open. I didn't feel a thing until the salt started soaking in and my blood started coming out.

Maybe I should stay out of the dang kitchen!
Ekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 11:03 PM   #29
Master Chef
when i was a kid i left a wooden utensil in the blender and splintered it. i'm such a flake sometimes.
also, keep dishtowels and paper towels far away from the stove. just today a paper towel caught fire while my Dad was cooking even after i slid it pretty far from the stove.
always keep a box of baking soda in a cupboard or on a countertop right near the broiler. my boyfriend recently caught the grease from our filets on fire. i went right for the box of baking soda and dumped it on the flames. it put it out in about 2 seconds, literally. always throw it on a grease fire or at least get a lid on a burning greasy pan.
you guys have some great tips and pointers.
i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 09:11 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Yahoo to middie
never lick beaters when you have a tongue piercing. :oops:

middie is offline   Reply With Quote