"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-27-2005, 01:15 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Quote:
Originally Posted by middie
never lick beaters when you have a tongue piercing. :oops:
Ouch!

I've cut myself a million times... left steaming veggies too long and burned pans small things like that.

I one bad memory I have of a cooking disaster came from my mom. She's not a good cook. But, she makes the best home made French fries. We'd just moved in to a new house and she decided to make a batch. AFter awhile the oil got too hot and too used so she wanted to dump it out and start over. She picked a tupperware container to empty it in to. I told her over and over NOT to do it. That the plastic would melt but, hey I was just a kid... what did I know?? She did it... the plastic started to melt so she tried picking it up. The top part came up.. the bottom stayed down. Spilling hot oil all over the place. No fire but, it melted the counter and the floor. Not a nice sight. I did enjoy saying "I told you so".

Old 01-27-2005, 01:29 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

when i was young, i worked in burger king for a few months on the late night shift/cleanup crew. it was pretty boring, except for an occasional late night visit from eddie murphy, who lived nearby when he was on saturday night live.
well, one boring night, i was making one of my special 4 patty extra everything whoppers, and wasn't paying attention when i tossed a grease pencil used for marking the wrappers in a microwave. there was some time left on the cooking timer, so when i closed the door it turned on. a few seconds later, the grease pencil became a grease rocket inside the microwave, and smoked out the whole kitchen. it took me hours to clean out all of that black goo.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 05:06 PM   #33
Senior Cook

Nothing too bad.....when I was pregnant though (and had that famous pregnancy forgetfullness), I tried to fry some burgers and used dishwashing liquid instead of oil....I also managed to put some glasses in the washing machine along with the laundry.....

Another time I tried to lift a roasting pan with a 28lb turkey in it out of the oven by myself, which I should have been able to do, but for some reason the pan tipped and I poured about a pint of hot turkey fat over myself. My guardian angel must have been watching over me, because I wasn't burned badly, just a little sore & red for a couple of days.

A couple of years ago, my husband was picking my father-in-law up from the airport, as he was coming over from England to stay with us. Hubby called when he was about 20 minutes away, so that I could start the dinner cooking (pasta with a simple mushroom cream sauce). I put the olive oil in the pan to start heating it up, ready to saute the mushrooms and for some reason forgot about it. The entire house started filling with smoke, the fire alarms went off (which are monitored by ADT), ADT called, but I didn't know the code word so they could turn the alarms off, so they had to call the fire-service. Anyway, I opened all the doors to let the smoke out, my neighbour saw smoke pouring out the house and heard the alarms and dashed over to rescue us.....just as the fire-engine turned up, sirens and lights flashing....closely followed by hubby and father-in-law. What a greeting LOL!

I always use extra-hefty rubber gloves when washing up - it not only protects my skin from the detergent, but also from anything sharp that might be hiding in the soapy water.

Paint.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:05 PM   #34
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to masteraznchefjr
flambou w/e the flaming stuff. yea i think i burned a lot of thigns lol
masteraznchefjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 12:41 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

not really a cooking horror story, but:
a long time ago, a good friend/co-worker and i would go to a houlihan's (franchised) restaurant on columbus circle every thursday night for happy hour drinks and free grub from a trough.
i was in love with the barmaid. big green eyes, beautiful blond hair, great personality, really funny, i was smitten.
so for months i put on the full court press. she never said no, kinda yes to a date, and strung me along like a pro, but i was a walking hormone back then so i guess i didn't mind. i drove her home after work a few times, kissed goodnight but was never invited up. when i finally got a few dates out of her, we would always meet after work, never a proper pick-me-up at home kinda thing. everything seemed to be a go.
well, i was given a few tickets to bermuda as a present, so i was thinking of asking her to go. i called her house one day, and a very annoyed guy answered. the tickets were for the next weekend, so i needed to know right away if she wanted to go. he told me she wasn't home, and would take a message. i told him about the tickets, and he asked why i was asking his girlfriend to go to bermuda with me. :oops: it all clicked. i apologized profusely, and couldn't wait to confront her. thursday came, and my buddy and i went in for dinner. i was blown away when she got angry at me for speaking to her boyfriend. she had supposedly warned me not to ever leave any personal info on her answering machine because her "roomate" was very nosey. i told her off, and was about to leave when the manager came over and informed me that she had broken a glass behind the bar right over the hurricane glasses, and used those glasses to pour our drinks instead of sending everything to the kitchen to be washed. the manager apologized, and asked me to leave my name and number in case i got sick later and was gonna sue. i still don't know if it was intentional or not. she said she was very upset and wasn't thinking.
i never found out what happened to her, but i think she got fired for it.
i ran into her boyfriend in another bar one night, and he was a gentleman about it, albeit thru the gritted teeth and dirty stares...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 07:45 AM   #36
Head Chef

Well, this probably doesn't rise to nearly the intruige level of Buckytom's story, but I had a classic "LOOK OUT!!" moment about 3 years ago.

Had just gotten the spiffy new 1/2 barrel brewery rig. (I only make 10 gallon or so batches, but the kettle has a volume of 15.5 - it's an old 1/2 barrel beer keg). I had finshed brewing, and was giving it a thorough clean in place.

It's a 3 tiered system, and I took one keg off the stand since it was done. It was while I was still holding the keg that I realized that the stand wasn't secured, and the entire stand, (complete with 2 other kegs, one of which was full of boiling cleaner) WITH A LIT PROPANE BURNER went tumbling over. Never knew I could jump that fast.

No real harm done though. Turned off the propane, picked up the stand and kegs, and the garage floor got an unexpected cleaning.

John
Old 02-02-2005, 11:01 AM   #37
Master Chef

This happened before DH and I met so I was spared this event, but the story has lived on as family legend!

Nathan had gone up to visit his parents for the weekend. His dad was all excited to try the new griddle he'd gotten for the gas grill. They got up early and had pancakes on the back deck. All three of them commented that the pancakes had a bit of a lemon-y undertone that was actually quite tasty. Did Dad add lemon zest, lemon juice, use a different recipe? He said no, he'd just used the basic Bisquik recipe, as usual. It wasn't until Nathan offered to clean up that he noticed the large gallon jug of lemon-scented lysol on the kitchen counter. It was stored in the cupboard right next to the gallon jug of vegetable oil and Dad, half-asleep while making the pancakes had used Lysol instead of oil!

To this day, it shocks me that they didn't call poison control. They just rode it out, hoping that if they got sick, one of them could call 911 for help so it wouldn't be considered a purple Kool Aid moment!
Old 02-02-2005, 11:07 AM   #38
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Baker
To this day, it shocks me that they didn't call poison control. They just rode it out, hoping that if they got sick, one of them could call 911 for help so it wouldn't be considered a purple Kool Aid moment!
For some reason I just pictured the two of them watching the game with a gallon of milk in one hand and a cell phone in the other...

"Call 911 yet?"

"Nah... I think we can make it through the game before its absolutely necesary".
Old 02-02-2005, 11:11 AM   #39
Master Chef

LOL--That's probably about what happened, Lugaru!
Old 02-02-2005, 11:16 AM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

LMAO, Lugaru - spoken like a man! A woman would only have waited until halftime.