"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 09-02-2006, 11:42 AM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

Alix I am challenging you to try it just once. It is hard to screw up, seriously. I promise you that after you try it you will wonder why you were ever nervous in the first place. Seriously, go out and get some corn today and fire up the grill.

Why are you still reading this? get going!!!

Old 09-02-2006, 11:42 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb L
Here in michigan, our local farmers sells fresh corn to our grocery stores, I buy it from them all the time. Its very good too ! When I was growing up we would have fresh corn, fried potatoes, sliced tomatoes and onions. That was dinner ! Yum
I spend the summer in the Traverse City area in Michigan and we are surrounded by thousands of acres of corn. No where have I tasted better corn than here in Michigan and it's picked right in front of you. I eat my share every summer because when I go back to Nevada the only corn that is available is from Mexico and sometimes California. No taste. AAACCCCKKK.

Old 09-02-2006, 01:38 PM   #13
Executive Chef

My mother also used to boil the behejjies out of corn on the cob, as well as any other vegetable she cooked. It was served with the meal.

Today, we raise our own sweet corn and when it is ripe, that is the meal. I steam the corn, mainly because we are usually short on water in late summer and it takes less water to cook the corn this way. I have one of those multicookers, a ss pan with an insert, good for cooking pasta and asparagus and sweet corn. When we blanch the corn to freeze, we also steam it then.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:30 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
I'm too chicken to try grilling it. I figure my timing will be off and I'll ruin one of my favorite treats.

Vera, we serve corn with the meal as our cooked veggie. We usually eat it first as its best piping hot with butter and salt dripping off it. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Go for it, Alix, just go for it. It takes about 20-30 minutes about 6 inches above the heat. You'll be so happy you did. Just remember to turn it every so often.

It seems people have all sorts of ways to grill, some with silk, some without, some with husks, some without. Either way, I think you'll like your results.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:30 PM   #15
Head Chef

I am another person who often finds it hard to get good, fresh corn -in the UK. I have tried growing it, but with no success whatsoever.

When we do get it fresh I rarely even get the first cobs home, and sit in the car munching the raw corn. I was first given raw sweetcorn when staying on a friend's estate in South of France as a kid. As I was the only kid I ended up wandering onto the nearest home farm where there were three boys. They used to pinch the corn from the crop which we munched. It tastes starchier and dryer raw....not many people like it, but I do. So that makes it a meal in its own right. Otherwise, however we cook it it goes at the beginning of a meal, mainly so we can clear the cobs to make room on our plates for other things.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:36 PM   #16
Everymom

OK Vera and GB I just bought some corn. Got the 6 inches off the grill, got turn it a 1/4 turn every so often. 20 - 30 minutes. Husks on or off? Soaked or not?
Old 09-02-2006, 03:52 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
I love farm fresh corn on the cob, and what's not to love??

Ever since I was little, my mother would boil the **** out of it, sometimes for upwards of 30 minutes in the water!! She'd add salt or sugar to the water...doing all sorts of things that could harm the happy little kernels.. But I digress..

My question: When do you serve the corn on the cob? I never serve it at the end because I want people to actually enjoy it. Was my mother the only one who did this??? Does anyone else serve it at the end??
VB, I can relate. Growing up my mom prepared corn the same way -- boiling it to death and washing away the nutrients. We've come a long way baby.

Re When do I serve corn (on the cob) - I serve it as a side to the main dish. Always wanted to do a clambake - main dish. Wish I was at the beach right now.

As far as prep for the cob - One method I prefer for indoor cooking is using the microwave -- a pat or two of butter and lime juice, if you like. Wrap the cobs in wax paper, twist the ends & you're not boiling all the goodies away.

If you're grillin', peel away the husks almost to the bottom, remove the silk, rinse if you like, add the butter and spritz of lime -- a little chili powder or paprika will give it another kick.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:56 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Have never heard of it being the last thing. And while corn picked and boiled immediately is to be lauded, if corn is picked and kept chilled it is still VERY palatable. And sometimes the supermarkets do that better than roadside stands. I freeze "stewed" corn (creamed corn) every summer. right now the corn season is pretty much over in our part of the country. The supermarket is having corn on sale this week and it is absolutely lucious.
As for cooking, start it in cold water and when it is boiling well, it is ready--and not over cooked.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:24 PM   #19
Chief Eating Officer

Alix definitly husks on. I say no soaking, but others like to soak. Both ways work perfectly well. Not soaking will give you a nice smoky flavor.

I do not usually go as long as 20-30 minutes though. I think I usually go closer to 10-15 minutes, but I am sure 20-30 would also work. I guve them a turn every once in a while.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:37 PM   #20
Everymom

OK, I'll do the no soak 15 - 20 minute thing and see how I do. If I wreck it you are going to have some stinky mail in about a week GB.