Corn on the cob - again...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We generally have it AS the meal. I can eat two, dh can eat four. Butter, and plenty of it. Maybe a bit of salt. I like them raw too. Our season will be starting fairly soon. I will try the grilling too, never done that.

Speaking of corn on the cob, did any of you have any pets who went crazy for it also? When I was still a kid living with my parents, my mother was cooking up a batch of corn on the cob in her pressure cooker. When they were done she buttered them up and accidentally dropped one on the floor. Our siamese latched onto it like greased lightning (sp?) and went to town eating it. From then on we always gave her her own ear of corn since she enjoyed the first one so much, but it sure shocked us as we didn't think she would eat it! But then Sheba (our cats name) thought she was as human as us, and therefore was entitled to eat the same food we did.:)

Yes, cats love it but its dangerous to givve it to daogs who might be big enought o attempt a swallow of the whole thing. I know a doberman who died that way.

Siamese eat very odd things anyway. One of mine loves melon, and broccoli.

Alix said:
OK Vera and GB I just bought some corn. Got the 6 inches off the grill, got turn it a 1/4 turn every so often. 20 - 30 minutes. Husks on or off? Soaked or not?

I usually leave the husks on, silk removed. If I have enough time and enough beer or juice around I like to soak them, but it is not necessary.

How did your's come out?????:cool:

mish said:
VB, I can relate. Growing up my mom prepared corn the same way -- boiling it to death and washing away the nutrients. We've come a long way baby.

Re When do I serve corn (on the cob) - I serve it as a side to the main dish. Always wanted to do a clambake - main dish. Wish I was at the beach right now.

As far as prep for the cob - One method I prefer for indoor cooking is using the microwave -- a pat or two of butter and lime juice, if you like. Wrap the cobs in wax paper, twist the ends & you're not boiling all the goodies away.

If you're grillin', peel away the husks almost to the bottom, remove the silk, rinse if you like, add the butter and spritz of lime -- a little chili powder or paprika will give it another kick.

so, when you say side dish, you actually serve it with the main meal? I've been doing it that way for years now.

I will either grill my corn, soaked, in the husk, with the silk. I usually cook it for 20 minutes, rotating the corn a quarter-turn every five. Then the outer husks are charred, it's done. PeppA usually boils it for about 5 minutes. We serve it with the meal. Everyone goes nuts on the stuff.

I usually boil the corn, but I like it grilled, too, and it's excellent cooked in the microwave. When boiling, I put the corn in well salted boiling water, let water return to a boil, cook 2-3 minutes and remove. I turn off the burner and put the corn in a colander over the top of the pan to keep it warm.
We always serve it with the meal, as a sidedish.

We are able to find some really good sweet corn in the grocery stores here. The midwest is "corn country", and with the developement of the new super-sweet varieties that actually increase in sweetness after being picked, and hold their flavor well for a week or more, it's possible to get good sweet corn almost all year. Once it starts getting ripe in Florida, we're good to go.

Corn season is almost over here but we will enjoy great corn all winter. I froze 15 qts this season. We eat corn on the cob with our meal. I boil it just until corn turns a darker color about 3 min. Grilling I will soak it for about 1/2 hr then grill with husk on silk removed.

I find it amazing at how many wonderful ways people have to prepare corn. I should tell my mother to log on!

Vera and GB, you will be disappointed in me. I couldn't find room on the grill for everything and the corn too so I jammed out. I still have 5 ears left though so I will try them when it is just us and post back. Thanks for all your help.

Alix said:
Vera and GB, you will be disappointed in me. I couldn't find room on the grill for everything and the corn too so I jammed out. I still have 5 ears left though so I will try them when it is just us and post back. Thanks for all your help.

Alix, why don't you come over here, tonight. Bring your corn, we'll add it to my corn...have a few pumpkin ales and do a country taste test.

I'm on my way...might be a bit late when I get there though, its a LONG drive! LOL.

I'd love to do that. Thanks for the invite. I'll bring some ribs (dinner tonight) to go with the corn.

Barb,
we do that all the time, heavy duty foil, butter corn, sprinkle with dry thyme, grill, then we add more butter plus salt and pepper when we open them and eat...

kadesma;)

Thanks Hon, will try that next time, Hubby likes steamed corn , I have done it on the grill (in the husks) but he still prefers steamed. Thought maybe I would try this way, will next time for sure - as long as the grill is on.

Barb L. said:
Thanks Hon, will try that next time, Hubby likes steamed corn , I have done it on the grill (in the husks) but he still prefers steamed. Thought maybe I would try this way, will next time for sure - as long as the grill is on.
Barb,
In a pinch I fix it just the same only just put it on a cookie sheet in it's foil and cook the whole thing in the oven..It helps if I'm doing more than one thing at a time. This way I don't have to run back and forth from kitchen to grill outside...
kadesma:)

This is an oldy but a goodie. Clean your ears of corn removing all silk and husk. Core the center of the cob (as you would an apple). Fill the core with sweet butter. To seal the ends, I use upholstery tacks with prongs. (you can't reuse them, the prongs are too bent.) Loosely roll in a SINGLE layer of foil and twist the ends closed. Bake in the oven in a shallow pan, single layered) for an hour at 375F. The butter will melt and seep through the cob buttering the corn! TNT Serve it any time you like. Some of the corn with larger kernels may fall off the ear when it is done and rows may be loose on the smaller ears.

It came to my attention that coring might be unfamiliar to some:
The core is softer when it is raw. You need to chop off the ends You are not going to make a tunnel, just a hole. You can tap an ice pike through it or a large nail. And then turn it upside down and tap it through again. I generally finish with a sharp pointed serrated knife just going round and round. (corn stays hot a lot longer if the cob is hot.) You can use one of those baster injectors to fill it if you like.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom