"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 09-02-2006, 03:38 PM   #21
Chief Eating Officer
Then I REALLY am wishing you luck

You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 09:00 PM   #22
Senior Cook
We generally have it AS the meal. I can eat two, dh can eat four. Butter, and plenty of it. Maybe a bit of salt. I like them raw too. Our season will be starting fairly soon. I will try the grilling too, never done that.

Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 09:34 PM   #23
Senior Cook
Speaking of corn on the cob, did any of you have any pets who went crazy for it also? When I was still a kid living with my parents, my mother was cooking up a batch of corn on the cob in her pressure cooker. When they were done she buttered them up and accidentally dropped one on the floor. Our siamese latched onto it like greased lightning (sp?) and went to town eating it. From then on we always gave her her own ear of corn since she enjoyed the first one so much, but it sure shocked us as we didn't think she would eat it! But then Sheba (our cats name) thought she was as human as us, and therefore was entitled to eat the same food we did.
Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.
Mark Twain
Foodfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 06:29 AM   #24
Sous Chef
when we were on 'the farm' we would always give the cobs to the cats - they would work on them forever!!
cjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 06:54 AM   #25
Head Chef
Yes, cats love it but its dangerous to givve it to daogs who might be big enought o attempt a swallow of the whole thing. I know a doberman who died that way.

Siamese eat very odd things anyway. One of mine loves melon, and broccoli.
lulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 07:50 AM   #26
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by Alix
OK Vera and GB I just bought some corn. Got the 6 inches off the grill, got turn it a 1/4 turn every so often. 20 - 30 minutes. Husks on or off? Soaked or not?
I usually leave the husks on, silk removed. If I have enough time and enough beer or juice around I like to soak them, but it is not necessary.

How did your's come out?????
How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 07:51 AM   #27
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by mish
VB, I can relate. Growing up my mom prepared corn the same way -- boiling it to death and washing away the nutrients. We've come a long way baby.

Re When do I serve corn (on the cob) - I serve it as a side to the main dish. Always wanted to do a clambake - main dish. Wish I was at the beach right now.

As far as prep for the cob - One method I prefer for indoor cooking is using the microwave -- a pat or two of butter and lime juice, if you like. Wrap the cobs in wax paper, twist the ends & you're not boiling all the goodies away.

If you're grillin', peel away the husks almost to the bottom, remove the silk, rinse if you like, add the butter and spritz of lime -- a little chili powder or paprika will give it another kick.
so, when you say side dish, you actually serve it with the main meal? I've been doing it that way for years now.
How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 08:23 AM   #28
Executive Chef
I will either grill my corn, soaked, in the husk, with the silk. I usually cook it for 20 minutes, rotating the corn a quarter-turn every five. Then the outer husks are charred, it's done. PeppA usually boils it for about 5 minutes. We serve it with the meal. Everyone goes nuts on the stuff.
Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 08:53 AM   #29
Master Chef
I usually boil the corn, but I like it grilled, too, and it's excellent cooked in the microwave. When boiling, I put the corn in well salted boiling water, let water return to a boil, cook 2-3 minutes and remove. I turn off the burner and put the corn in a colander over the top of the pan to keep it warm.
We always serve it with the meal, as a sidedish.

We are able to find some really good sweet corn in the grocery stores here. The midwest is "corn country", and with the developement of the new super-sweet varieties that actually increase in sweetness after being picked, and hold their flavor well for a week or more, it's possible to get good sweet corn almost all year. Once it starts getting ripe in Florida, we're good to go.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:14 AM   #30
Head Chef
Corn season is almost over here but we will enjoy great corn all winter. I froze 15 qts this season. We eat corn on the cob with our meal. I boil it just until corn turns a darker color about 3 min. Grilling I will soak it for about 1/2 hr then grill with husk on silk removed.

thumpershere2 is offline   Reply With Quote