"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2006, 07:53 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Corn on the cob - again...

I love farm fresh corn on the cob, and what's not to love??

Ever since I was little, my mother would boil the **** out of it, sometimes for upwards of 30 minutes in the water!! She'd add salt or sugar to the water...doing all sorts of things that could harm the happy little kernels.. But I digress..

It was always served after the main meal, for some reason unknown to me. After the last buger, or piece of chicken, or whatever she was serving was consumed, then she would bring this platter of bright yellow summery goodness to the table. Most of us were too full to actually truly enjoy the corn (regardless of how long she cooked it, or what she dumped in the water, we still loved corn on the cob). And then there were the few ocassions when it was actually forgotten in the pot of water in the kitchen, never even making an appearance on the table.When I started cooking, I began doing my own experiments. I started by reducing the cooking time, settling on 6-8 minutes for boiling, and nothing in the water, save the corn. My favourite method is soaking the corn in the husks, silk removed, in beer or cider for a few hours, and then grilling.

My question: When do you serve the corn on the cob? I never serve it at the end because I want people to actually enjoy it. Was my mother the only one who did this??? Does anyone else serve it at the end??

Old 09-02-2006, 08:07 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

Fresh corn on the cob is such a rare and special treat that it is usually the only item on the dinner menu at my house. Same with the first strawberries of the season. Strawberries, shortcake and ice cream is our season kick-off meal.

Old 09-02-2006, 08:13 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleri
Fresh corn on the cob is such a rare and special treat that it is usually the only item on the dinner menu at my house. Same with the first strawberries of the season. Strawberries, shortcake and ice cream is our season kick-off meal.
Where are you that it's so hard to get fresh corn on the cob??

By having it the only item on the menu, I suspect you'd never forget it in the kitchen
Old 09-02-2006, 08:25 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

It is possible to get corn here but even at the farmers' markets, the corn has usually been picked the night before. I won't even bother with corn in the grocery stores. That's what makes corn rare for me, it has to be fresh from the field. I remember hearing that you should put your water on to boil and then go pick your corn. Not having a corn field in my backyard, I must rely on a trip to the country. A field of corn lasts less than a week before it passes into inedible territory and everyone's corn seems to ripen on the same day. At most corn season lasts a couple weeks for me.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:28 AM   #5
Cook

We're lucky enough to be able to grow our own corn on the cob, and eat it within an hour of picking it, just boiled in water and served with butter as a course on its own at the beginning of the meal. It is superb.
Corn on the cob sold as 'fresh' in UK supermarkets is a lot older. A lot of what I've seen for sale looks dull and dried up. Therefore I don't buy it, so my corn eating season is a bit short! We do freeze some though, but I take the kernels off to do this.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:46 AM   #6
Sous Chef

We eat corn on the cob darn near everynite during the season! I grill it and we eat as an appy 'cause I love it straight from the grill to my tummy!!

for some who have not grilled their corn, I clean it, rub with just a little olive oil, put on med. grill and give the cobs a 1/4 turn every four minutes - then to my plate! Good fresh corn, I don't even add salt.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:50 AM   #7
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

Here in michigan, our local farmers sells fresh corn to our grocery stores, I buy it from them all the time. Its very good too ! When I was growing up we would have fresh corn, fried potatoes, sliced tomatoes and onions. That was dinner ! Yum
Old 09-02-2006, 09:47 AM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

When I was a kid, the corn came last. Now we make it part of the meal. The first time I was served corn with the meal, I was stunned that people didn't know the "right way" to serve corn!

We either boil it: drop the corn into boiling water, return it to a boil and turn off the burner. Let it rest, covered for 5 minutes and serve. Remaining ears can stay in the water for another 10 minutes without cooking further.

...or we roast it: 30 minutes directly on the oven rack of a 350 F oven with the husks on but the silk removed.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:55 AM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

We serve it with the rest of the meal. Everything is on the plate at the same time.

My favorite way to prepare it is to put it on the grill without shucking or removing the silk or soaking. Just put it on dry. The husk will char and give a great smoky flavor. It is easy enough to get rid of the silk when you open it up anyway so that is why we do not bother to remove it first.

The best corn we ever had was when we were camping. We threw some corn right in the fire and actually forgot about it. When we remembered (about 45 minutes later) we figured the corn was trash. Boy were we wrong. It was amazingly delicious. I don't think I could duplicate that again if I tried though. I think the corn was just in the right place at the right time, the wind was blowing in just the right direction, etc.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:38 AM   #10
Everymom

I'm too chicken to try grilling it. I figure my timing will be off and I'll ruin one of my favorite treats.

Vera, we serve corn with the meal as our cooked veggie. We usually eat it first as its best piping hot with butter and salt dripping off it. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.