"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 02-26-2016, 06:06 PM   #11
Master Chef

I love energy bars that are salty.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:12 PM   #12
Master Chef

*THUD* I want to do this soooooo bad!!!

Trisha's Sweet and Saltines Video : Food Network

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 07:10 PM   #13
Head Chef

Smile

Olives stuffed with anchovies...very savoury.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:11 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post

That reminded me of this old recipe that my sister used to make when she was in high school, she used regular saltines. I think you really need the salt to balance out the sweet.

The Original Eclair Cake Recipe

Old 02-26-2016, 07:14 PM   #15
Head Chef

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post

I have the emoticon for *THUD*

(I am an emoticonaholic! )
Old 02-26-2016, 07:19 PM   #16
Wine Guy

Having grown up in rural Wisconsin, one of my favorite childhood memories was going with my dad every Saturday morning to the local Creamery (all small Wisconsin towns had one in those days) to buy a bag of squeaky fresh, salty cheese curds. Most people around the country have no idea what they are, or if they do, are only aware of the deep fried versions you sometimes find at county fairs or fast food joints.

Not even close to the same thing.

Cheese curds are essentially what you put into a cheese mold and compress to form blocks of Cheddar cheese. They look somewhat like "circus peanut" candies, and are absolutely the best when they are at room temperature and less than 24 hours old. No breading. No deep frying. Just right out of the bag.

When I was much younger, I was occasionally known to to eat a pound of these in a single sitting.

There is only one place here in the Twin Cities that trucks them in fresh daily from Wisconsin. Unfortunately, it's in the Mall of America. I hate going to the mall because it's a pain to park and get in and out quickly. But I'll willingly go through the pain once a month or so to get my bag of curds.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:26 PM   #17
Head Chef

Question

Steve - what is the texture like to the cheese curds? I guess the flavour must be milder than the finished product?
Old 02-26-2016, 07:37 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Having grown up in rural Wisconsin, one of my favorite childhood memories was going with my dad every Saturday morning to the local Creamery (all small Wisconsin towns had one in those days) to buy a bag of squeaky fresh, salty cheese curds. Most people around the country have no idea what they are, or if they do, are only aware of the deep fried versions you sometimes find at county fairs or fast food joints.

Not even close to the same thing.

Cheese curds are essentially what you put into a cheese mold and compress to form blocks of Cheddar cheese. They look somewhat like "circus peanut" candies, and are absolutely the best when they are at room temperature and less than 24 hours old. No breading. No deep frying. Just right out of the bag.

When I was much younger, I was occasionally known to to eat a pound of these in a single sitting.

There is only one place here in the Twin Cities that trucks them in fresh daily from Wisconsin. Unfortunately, it's in the Mall of America. I hate going to the mall because it's a pain to park and get in and out quickly. But I'll willingly go through the pain once a month or so to get my bag of curds.

Another fan of cheese curds!

In my area they are white and come in different flavors, I like the ones that are coated with hot pepper flakes.

Curd
Old 02-26-2016, 07:39 PM   #19
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Steve - what is the texture like to the cheese curds? I guess the flavour must be milder than the finished product?
The flavor is much milder than the aged product. I think they have an almost buttery sort of flavor. Hard to describe the texture. Not exactly rubbery, but just slightly chewy and.... squeaky. You can hear them squeak when you chew them.

I've fed these to friends who have visited from other places and they are almost always surprised at how good they are.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:49 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I went to grad school in Wisconsin. Prior to that, despite living in a couple of other northern states, along with Canada, I'd never had them before. Yes, they do squeak when fresh! Delicious!

Tags
salt