Craving salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inchrisin

Senior Cook
I see a lot of recipes that bring satiety to the sweet tooth. I'm a salt lover. What foods/recipes put you at ease after getting your salt fix on?

Any recipe from Ina Garten. Her recipes have enough salt to give you a heart attack, hypertension, a stoke and/or an aneurysm!

Last edited:
Kayelle, I think he means, if you prefer savory foods to sweets, what are your favorites?

Mine is Ruffles potato chips with French onion dip. I can't get it very often because I will eat the entire bag and jar all by myself. Same with queso dip and salty tortilla chips.

Ruffles Sour Cream and Onion chips, dipped into cottage cheese. Like GG, I have had to forbid them from the house. I could eat the whole bag.

Sour cream chips smooshed onto my tuna salad sandwich and a Claussen dill pickle are a good start or a Tin Roof sundae made with those little red skinned Spanish peanuts, the combination of sweet and salt really does it for me! :yum:

Mmmmm, me, too, Kayelle. My sister gave me the idea for this occasional bedtime snack: A couple ounces of dark chocolate chips, butterscotch or cinnamon chips, nuts and dried fruit mixed together :yum: It's really tasty mixed up with Greek yogurt, too.

Last edited:

I have the emoticon for *THUD*

1656269883.gif

(I am an emoticonaholic!
330618.gif
558648.gif
agree.gif
eusa_naughty.gif
)

Having grown up in rural Wisconsin, one of my favorite childhood memories was going with my dad every Saturday morning to the local Creamery (all small Wisconsin towns had one in those days) to buy a bag of squeaky fresh, salty cheese curds. Most people around the country have no idea what they are, or if they do, are only aware of the deep fried versions you sometimes find at county fairs or fast food joints.

Not even close to the same thing.

Cheese curds are essentially what you put into a cheese mold and compress to form blocks of Cheddar cheese. They look somewhat like "circus peanut" candies, and are absolutely the best when they are at room temperature and less than 24 hours old. No breading. No deep frying. Just right out of the bag.

When I was much younger, I was occasionally known to to eat a pound of these in a single sitting. :pig:

There is only one place here in the Twin Cities that trucks them in fresh daily from Wisconsin. Unfortunately, it's in the Mall of America. I hate going to the mall because it's a pain to park and get in and out quickly. But I'll willingly go through the pain once a month or so to get my bag of curds.

Cheese-curds1.jpg

Steve - what is the texture like to the cheese curds? I guess the flavour must be milder than the finished product?

Having grown up in rural Wisconsin, one of my favorite childhood memories was going with my dad every Saturday morning to the local Creamery (all small Wisconsin towns had one in those days) to buy a bag of squeaky fresh, salty cheese curds. Most people around the country have no idea what they are, or if they do, are only aware of the deep fried versions you sometimes find at county fairs or fast food joints.

Not even close to the same thing.

Cheese curds are essentially what you put into a cheese mold and compress to form blocks of Cheddar cheese. They look somewhat like "circus peanut" candies, and are absolutely the best when they are at room temperature and less than 24 hours old. No breading. No deep frying. Just right out of the bag.

When I was much younger, I was occasionally known to to eat a pound of these in a single sitting. :pig:

There is only one place here in the Twin Cities that trucks them in fresh daily from Wisconsin. Unfortunately, it's in the Mall of America. I hate going to the mall because it's a pain to park and get in and out quickly. But I'll willingly go through the pain once a month or so to get my bag of curds.

Cheese-curds1.jpg

Another fan of cheese curds!

In my area they are white and come in different flavors, I like the ones that are coated with hot pepper flakes.

Curd

Steve - what is the texture like to the cheese curds? I guess the flavour must be milder than the finished product?

The flavor is much milder than the aged product. I think they have an almost buttery sort of flavor. Hard to describe the texture. Not exactly rubbery, but just slightly chewy and.... squeaky. You can hear them squeak when you chew them.

I've fed these to friends who have visited from other places and they are almost always surprised at how good they are.

I went to grad school in Wisconsin. Prior to that, despite living in a couple of other northern states, along with Canada, I'd never had them before. Yes, they do squeak when fresh! Delicious!

Back
Top Bottom