Cured meats?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

COGRILLGUY

Assistant Cook
So I just replied to the what's for dinner thread, and I realized that prociutto is the only cured meat that i can think of to serve with bread and cheese. I don't know the names of any other meats that would be good. Which is kind of embarrasing, because I lived in Europe for 3 years and that's a traditional European breakfast. So you would think that I would know. Oh well! Any thoughts??

What about all the cured sausages and meats for Italy alone!? Genoa salami, pepperoni, sopressata, cappacola...

Andy M. said:
What about all the cured sausages and meats for Italy alone!? Genoa salami, pepperoni, sopressata, cappacola...

Good call, thanks!....I didn't think of those....any more??

Serrano ham, especialy love the stuff called Iberica negra.

Or what about good old American country ham? The Smithfield kind of stuff.

Or walk into any Italian or Middle Eastern deli and just poke about.

We always find stuff there that is great.

We just finished off some sliced Black Forest Ham from the Deli that was excellent. We are lucky to have a lot of venison salami in the freezer, and we frequently use that. In fact, we had friends drop in unexpectedly Friday evening, and we snacked on venison salami, Cabot white cheddar, Ritz crackers, and almost a whole pint of Vlassic Baby Dills. Munch! :-p

Aunt Dot, great minds think alike. Make it a project to do some looking around, I'll bet someone in your area cures hams and you can support a local business as well has have some yummy food. I buy a cured ham that is made in Wisconsin. Oh, I still buy proscuito and other types of ham as well. But it's nice to find a local artisan. When in Virginia, I used to buy Smithfield ham once in awhile, but boy is it salty. I love to have a few slices (or cubes) of mortadella on my anipasta platter. Pepperoni, salami, well, they've all been mentioned already. But take the time to research some local products, you'll be glad you did.

Back
Top Bottom