Dad's away, so the mouse will play dinner Wednesday June 20, 2018

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
My Dad is at a Norwegian thing in Fargo, ND for a few days. I am making my take on the Morrocan meatballs as burgers that Rock posted the other night, a jicama coleslaw (Mom can't eat cabbage, etc. cuz of her meds and vit K), and cous-cous, all stuff Dad would never eat. Here's to playing in the kitchen. Gotta get the Marissa made. Whatcha all making for dinner tonight?

Your dinner sounds pretty good.

I'm having the last of my lasagna from the freezer and SO is having a TJ's flatbread of some kind or another.

Make some extra for the freezer so you can have something yummy when he are at home

My Dad is at a Norwegian thing in Fargo, ND for a few days. I am making my take on the Morrocan meatballs as burgers that Rock posted the other night, a jicama coleslaw (Mom can't eat cabbage, etc. cuz of her meds and vit K), and cous-cous, all stuff Dad would never eat. Here's to playing in the kitchen. Gotta get the Marissa made. Whatcha all making for dinner tonight?
Looks like you need to find a few more events out of town for Dad to attend! That jicama slaw sounds like the perfect summer accompaniment. Do you have a specific recipe for it, or is it just make as you go?

CWS, As tempting as Moroccan flavored burgers sound, I think I would rather go with your dad to the Norway festival. I've never been, and I live within spitting distance of the park where the local Norway summer festival (one day event) is every year.

Today I walked by my favorite bagel store on the way to the dollar store for a bd card. Thought hmmm, dinner was going to be leftover cold grilled salmon salad, and finished the thought by picking up a couple everything & pumpernickel bagels and some cream cheese. So this is dinner tonight. Along with some thin sliced tomato, onion, radish, cucumber. I think I will fill the plate out with the veggies on the side so I can pick and choose. There might or might not be about a spoonful of capers in the frig. Ice tea.

Heating up some Moroccan meat balls from Monday..that recipe is very good..I recommend it..
You will enjoy the recipe CWS..flavor town..I can't believe I typed that..

Last edited:
Bacon wrapped Filet Mignon steaks will be pan seared in the carbon steel skillet. We'll have loaded spuds with roasted asparagus as the sides along with Texas garlic toast.

Getting HOT here in the high desert. I've been looking through the salad recipes here and online for some new and different ideas for nice cool eats. :chef:

It was 107 today and even though it's cool in the house, I've not felt much like cooking - I'm less active outside these days, so I need to keep that in mind. This afternoon's dinner was a couple of deviled eggs, an apple, sliced cold ham, cheese, and crackers. Lots of iced tea with lemon. :yum:

When I go to the grocery store tomorrow or the next day, I'll buy either a tri tip or a whole chicken (or both!) and roast them for nice cool nibbles for the next week. :)

Last edited:
We had homemade applesauce (gala, braeburn, and granny smith), fruit salad (orange, nectarine, green grapes, previously frozen cherries), hash browns, and scrambled eggs with bacon, smoked mozzarella cheese, and homegrown leeks! I don't have a garden, but the last bunch of leeks I bought had a full compliment of roots. I stuck the leek stubs into an old plastic mushroom tub, kept them watered, and harvested them for dinner. Just enough for tonight's eggs. :LOL:

We have a favorite clam shack down on the RI coast we visit called "Two Little Fish". Tonight's supper was Two Little Dish...and a salad plate.

Attachments

• 20180620_150249.jpg
    20180620_150249.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 199
  • 20180620_215828.jpg
    20180620_215828.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 119
Heating up some Moroccan meat balls from Monday..that recipe is very good..I recommend it..
You will enjoy the recipe CWS..flavor town..I can't believe I typed that..
What fat content ground beef did you use? I've made meatloaf with 90% ground beef but it doesn't hold together very well, and I don't want to make a greasy tagine. Alternatively I could bake the meatballs before adding to the tagine to get some of the fat out.

It was pretty hot here yesterday, too - with the heat index, it was over 100 degrees and pretty humid. So a no-cook meal here last night.

I had leftover cooked campanelle pasta from the party last Friday, with some marinated artichokes in it. I thawed a package of frozen cooked, peeled tiny salad shrimp and made a dressing with Duke's mayo, lemon juice, Penzeys Sandwich Sprinkle (I use it like an Italian seasoning), chopped fresh parsley, minced celery and minced pickled carrots and daikon radish. Then we had a simple fruit salad with Penzeys Pico Fruta and salt on top, and one leftover grilled chicken leg each. Nice and cool [emoji41] 0620182008.jpg

What fat content ground beef did you use? I've made meatloaf with 90% ground beef but it doesn't hold together very well, and I don't want to make a greasy tagine. Alternatively I could bake the meatballs before adding to the tagine to get some of the fat out.
It was close to Medium ground beef..the recipe calls for egg and bread crumbs to help bind it together..Not much grease as I recall..

Mussels with a coconut milk, lime, cilantro sauce, with flatbread.

Attachments

• 2018-06-20 18.44.54.jpg
    2018-06-20 18.44.54.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 124
Mom cleaned her plate. Of course I don't have a recipe for the slaw. 1/2 if jicama, 1 carrot, 1 apple, julienned, 1/2 cucumber, seeded and diced, celery, 1/2 pear, Italian parsley
y fresh coriander, dried cherries, coconut flakes, roasted Pepito's, chickpeas, green onion. Harissa infused olive oil, apple cider vinegar, maple syup

Back
Top Bottom