"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2019, 11:28 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Ummmm, I see broccoli in the photo, but where are the sprouts?

CD
I was wondering the same thing.

Old 06-16-2019, 11:33 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Was feeling lazy and didn't think I was up for making supper. Then I remembered that there were some hard boiled eggs in the fridge. I figured I would make some devilled eggs. Then I figured it would be simple enough to cut up some celery and carrot sticks and make some dip. I remembered the black radishes and peeled and sliced one to go with the other crudités. We got a grocery order today, so there was also some Brie. So, that, along with some pickles and pickled onions was supper. The devilled eggs turned out spectacular and the rest was yummy too. All served with enough white wine that we are both silly now.

Old 06-16-2019, 11:35 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
One of Himself's top three favorite meals is breaded pork chops. The weather is accommodating to those who cook in the oven rather than the grill. Joining the chops in the oven will be baby redskin potatoes, and carrots. We'll also have steamed broccoli and, as a special treat just for him, I splurged on 1/4 pound of Brussels sprouts. $3.99 a pound for those things...

Ouch!
Old 06-16-2019, 11:38 PM   #24
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Markf, HULI? ONO my braddah!! What do you marinade your bird in?

I need to do another one, for sure! I cheat and use the bottled sauce from Hawaii that I bring back with me

Attachment 35218
Huli is Hawaiian for turn. Marinate is a version of teriyaki. You marinade, grill, and huli often (turning it over).
Markf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 11:41 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markf View Post
Huli is Hawaiian for turn. Marinate is a version of teriyaki. You marinade, grill, and huli often (turning it over).
In case you couldn't figure it from her name, Kaneohegirlinaz is Hawaiian.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:41 PM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Was feeling lazy and didn't think I was up for making supper. Then I remembered that there were some hard boiled eggs in the fridge. I figured I would make some devilled eggs. Then I figured it would be simple enough to cut up some celery and carrot sticks and make some dip. I remembered the black radishes and peeled and sliced one to go with the other crudités. We got a grocery order today, so there was also some Brie. So, that, along with some pickles and pickled onions was supper. The devilled eggs turned out spectacular and the rest was yummy too. All served with enough white wine that we are both silly now.

Sounds like my kind of dinner, Taxy!
Old 06-16-2019, 11:43 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
Although not what I had for dinner on fathers day, My son continued his annual tradition of buying me onions as a fathers day gift.
Last year was 25 lbs, this year 50 lbs .

My slow cooker is doing some overtime tonight, making a batch of caramelized onions ( That used up 7 of them , still got another 90 left, and another 120 + in the garden which will be harvestable in a month or so ).
Larry, in the North End of Boston, every weekend, even in the winter, there is a farmers market. At the end of Saturday, everything left over goes into the trash pile for the city to clean out. I used to take my granddaughter there in the afternoon and some of the sellers were quiting early. One day some Asian seller tossed a huge bag of pea pods away. She wanted me to carry it home. Her favorite veggie. "Are you kidding?" So she lifted the dang thing, placed it on her shoulder, and home we went. On public transportation no less. I don't know how, but over a month or two, I managed to make meals for her and used up those dang pea pods. Making egg rolls was a great way to cut them up and use them. Every time she wanted a quick snack, egg roll it was. I lost track of how many I made.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:57 PM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Larry, in the North End of Boston, every weekend, even in the winter, there is a farmers market. At the end of Saturday, everything left over goes into the trash pile for the city to clean out. I used to take my granddaughter there in the afternoon and some of the sellers were quiting early. One day some Asian seller tossed a huge bag of pea pods away. She wanted me to carry it home. Her favorite veggie. "Are you kidding?" So she lifted the dang thing, placed it on her shoulder, and home we went. On public transportation no less. I don't know how, but over a month or two, I managed to make meals for her and used up those dang pea pods. Making egg rolls was a great way to cut them up and use them. Every time she wanted a quick snack, egg roll it was. I lost track of how many I made.
It is a shame how much food ends up in dumpsters in America. Good on you for saving those pea pods.

CD
Old 06-17-2019, 06:06 AM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Thats pretty much where Im at, and to make things more tricky, my daughter moved out of state, my son will likely be out of the country in a month or so, so its up to me and my wife to play the ' used them up before they rot' game. Luckily I love onions ( although I may not after the next few weeks )
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:28 AM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
Although not what I had for dinner on fathers day, My son continued his annual tradition of buying me onions as a fathers day gift.
Last year was 25 lbs, this year 50 lbs .

My slow cooker is doing some overtime tonight, making a batch of caramelized onions ( That used up 7 of them , still got another 90 left, and another 120 + in the garden which will be harvestable in a month or so ).
Priceless..

Ross

Tags
dinner