Dad's Day Dinner - 6/16/2019

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
A rainy afternoon, so the traditional Father's Day grilled dinner is out of the question. That and our daughter is stuck in Portugal, as her flight home was cancelled. We're waiting to heat when she will get home. For tonight's dinner I made some mushroom ravioli, and will be making a brown butter sage sauce. House salad on the side.

My kids, SO and I celebrated Fathers Day two weeks ago when they took us out to dinner.

Today, my younger daughter visited and we cooked sous vide chicken, pilaf and broccoli with cheese sauce. SO made a devil's food cake with chocolate whipped cream frosting.

One of Himself's top three favorite meals is breaded pork chops. The weather is accommodating to those who cook in the oven rather than the grill. Joining the chops in the oven will be baby redskin potatoes, and carrots. We'll also have steamed broccoli and, as a special treat just for him, I splurged on 1/4 pound of Brussels sprouts. $3.99 a pound for those things...:rolleyes:

I had a braunschweiger sandwich on that rye bread I baked today, plus a large salad of leaf lettuce and smaller amount of komatsuna, plus some basil and garlic chives as the herbs. The dressing is one I keep on hand for many salads - an emulsified vinaigrette, with a small amount of shallots and anchovy, some lemon juice, white rice vinegar, and white balsamic, along with the evoo, blended to emulsify. Herbs can be added, but I usually keep it simple, as I can always add fresh herbs to the salad.

Dinner at daughter&sil's home..
Grandson grilled tri tip and bell peppers..
Sides were wedge salads, cheesy potato bake..
Granddaughter in law baked a fruit tart..
Lots of good stuff to go with everything..

Ross

Attachments

• Fathers Day 2018.jpg
    Fathers Day 2018.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 123
  • Fruit Tart 1.jpg
    Fruit Tart 1.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Prime cut boneless sirloin steak cooked reverse seared. Put in oven on Convection bake 275°F for approx. 20 minutes till internal temp was 100°F. Then seared on a smoking hot cast iron stovetop grill pan till internal temp was 117°F (lighting isn't very good but that was a perfect medium). Had a salad an hour before dinner. Dinner sides were whipped yukon gold potatoes and cold fresh string bean salad.

steak_061619_IMG_5910.JPG

sirloin_steak_taters_bean_061619_IMG_5912.jpg

sirloin_steak_061619_IMG_5915.jpg

Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there, and also to the pet-dads, and those of us who no longer have our fathers with us but still remember them with lots of love. :flowers: Lots of good sounding and looking dinners here so far. :yum:

I went out to a late lunch today (Mexican), and brought home at least another dinner's portion - so I'll nibble on a little of the leftovers here pretty soon and have the rest tomorrow.

Last edited:
My kids, SO and I celebrated Fathers Day two weeks ago when they took us out to dinner.

Today, my younger daughter visited and we cooked sous vide chicken, pilaf and broccoli with cheese sauce. SO made a devil's food cake with chocolate whipped cream frosting.

I haven't sous vide chicken, yet. How did you finish it? Was it skin-on?

CD

Dinner at daughter&sil's home..
Grandson grilled tri tip and bell peppers..
Sides were wedge salads, cheesy potato bake..
Granddaughter in law baked a fruit tart..
Lots of good stuff to go with everything..

Ross

What a lovely looking table, Ross - and that fruit tart looks amazing!

One of Himself's top three favorite meals is breaded pork chops. The weather is accommodating to those who cook in the oven rather than the grill. Joining the chops in the oven will be baby redskin potatoes, and carrots. We'll also have steamed broccoli and, as a special treat just for him, I splurged on 1/4 pound of Brussels sprouts. $3.99 a pound for those things...:rolleyes:

I am sure Himself is worth $3.99 a pound -- although I don't know how much he weighs. ;) :)

CD

Cauliflower and mac with no-cheeze sauce, whole wheat buns toasted with chickpea spread. Melon for dessert.

Poor Husband (we're calling him this until he gets better) wanted
a Club House Sandwich and Soup...
well I didn't have any Homemade Soup in the deep freeze,
but I always have a can of commercial Soup-just in case in the pantry.
IMG_4364.jpg
Breakfast was Bacon Eggs and Country Fried Potatoes,
so that leftover Bacon became his dinner :chef:
IMG_4365.jpg
For Moi,
I had made some of my deluxe Tuna Salad leftover
and so of my CopyCat Zippy's Macaroni Salad (this is very popular dish in Hawaii) …
combine the two over a Green Salad and I call it Supper,
well add a glass of three of wine and I'm good!

Oh, my dinner was chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes, with the seemingly controversial white gravy -- and Lipitor for desert. :LOL:

CD

Although not what I had for dinner on fathers day, My son continued his annual tradition of buying me onions as a fathers day gift.
Last year was 25 lbs, this year 50 lbs .

My slow cooker is doing some overtime tonight, making a batch of caramelized onions ( That used up 7 of them , still got another 90 left, and another 120 + in the garden which will be harvestable in a month or so ).

Attachments

• Onions.jpg
    Onions.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 95
Back
Top Bottom