Dad's Day Dinner - 6/17/2018

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
Daughter invited us over for dinner, so that means I'm cooking. It's also her birthday, so I'll cut her some slack this time.

I made a pasta salad early this morning, and then Mrs. T joined me on my morning ride. Came back and enjoyed a post-ride beer (it was after noon somewhere). I put together a nice green salad, and prepped the steak tips for marinating. All that's left is to skewer and grill them.

What's on your plate?

Kids are coming for dinner..which means, I am cooking, too..I enjoy it so I'm not whining..classic bbq fare, here..just made up some burger patties from some local beef (blade) we had in the freezer. I have some jumbo weenies and some Oktoberfest sausage to go on also..Greek pasta salad, potato salad and some chopped, marinated veggies..paper plates, cold beers..then they can all get lost because I want to watch some soccer..:LOL:

If I were going to make anything specially for Father’s Day, it would have to be T-bone steaks under the broiler until the outside was burned and the inside near raw. As it is, I’ll probably throw together a mushroom soup and a salad with a gribiche dressing (I’m pretty sure I’ve got capers somewhere in the fridge!).

My daughters took up out for lunch. I'm stuffed and will probably have a shack for dinner.

Jeannie took me to breakfast and I pigged out on country fried steak and eggs..

Going to the kids for grilled chicken/veggie kabobs later.. um... After a nap.. ;)

Ross

I bought a $10 pak of frozen cod pieces. I'm going to try "Zaterain's Fish Bake" oven mix for the first time. Dip the thawed cod pieces in egg, then coat with the mix and bake at 425F for 20 minutes. Boiled red potatoes. Blue Cheese dressing salad.

I forgot to buy zucchini, to fry up, which goes well with seafood. I may head to the store, just for the zucchini, to make this meal proper.

Last edited:
A nap sounds good, Ross! *yawn*

...(I’m pretty sure I’ve got capers somewhere in the fridge!).
If not, I have half a jar in mine - in addition to three jars I just bought at TJ's and have stored away on my basement food shelves.

We'll be having a wedge-ish salad with shrimp scampi-style on a bed of pasta. If we want a dessert later, I have two different strudels in the freezer from what we bought at Aldi a month or so ago. We've had one out of each of the two-packs; the hardest part about making the next strudel will be picking between the apple or the chocolate-raspberry. :yum: Yup, dessert later tonight...I'll just cook fewer noodles for the scampi. :LOL:

My younger son (Cheyenne's daddy) invited us for dinner. My sweet daughter-in-law has a big hole in her heart today, the fist Dad's day since she lost him a few months ago. Bradey lost his Dad when in his 60's and now she has too. We're taking her flowers and so much love. People that young should still have their Dads.
They both adore Souschef so it will help to have him there for them.

Anyway, son will barbecue something and I'm taking Cheryl's Southwestern corn and bean salad.
Thinking of my own Daddy today and miss him still.

Have no idea what I'll end up with. Ate 2 wedges of Galette for breakfast, a dill pickle and Corona for lunch, another wedge of Galette with my wine... maybe some Oka cheese later (and some more wine).

my eating habits are deplorable... LOL

have a small pork loin in brine but don't think I'll smoke it tonight. Guess that's for tomorrow. Probably still have time to but think I'll just have another glass of wine. Was too busy writing out a recipe for my sister - takes me ages to edit things.

It was too warm and muggy for me with sciatic pain and chasing goslings back thru the fence.

After re-rreading, thought I should mention those 'wedges' are 1/12th of galette - not a 1/4!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Filet mignons, mushroom bread pudding and Brussels sprouts with onion, garlic, balsamic.

Attachments

• 2018-06-17 17.32.04.jpg
    2018-06-17 17.32.04.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 133
I munched on fresh strawberries and cantaloupe all day. We are in that small window of opportunity when both of them are as good as they will get this year. They are both awesome right now.

For dinner, I got a good deal on a half-rack of ribs at Kroger. These Simple Choice half racks are just the right size for me.

I seasoned them with a basic Texas BBQ rub, the one they use at The Salt Lick in Driftwood, TX. It is equal parts k-salt, black pepper and granulated garlic.

Then, onto the Weber Kettle for an hour of apple-wood smoke, then wrapped in foil and into the oven to finish cooking low and slow.

For desert... more fresh fruit!

CD

Attachments

• Ribs001.jpg
    Ribs001.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 127
  • Ribs002.jpg
    Ribs002.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 117
  • Ribs003.jpg
    Ribs003.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 117
We ended up with potato salad, caprese salad and a garbanzo salad. Mom thought she had pork chops but couldn't find them so she cooked a small beef roast. Dessert was watermelon.

Mom never had caprese before, she is in love. I assembled it for her. The garbanzo salad came about due to a can of Ro-Tel I found that had lime and cilantro. I added some fresh cilantro, sliced green onion, avocado oil, salt and pepper to two cans of garbanzos. Let chill for about two hours. It was very good.

I made a pot of Sausage, cannellini beans, spinach soup

sausage_bean_soup_061718_IMG_4347.jpg

So we must celebrate Father's Day on another date here, it was just another Sunday here, cheesy chilly garlic bread. My grandkids can't get enough of this. Then we had smoked chicken and mushroom pasta fettucine, one of my kids fave. Then a chocolate mousse my wife made. ( she never cooks,ever, but she found a packet that added milk and whisk,lol)
I take great pride in that the tomato base are tomatoes all from our garden,and herbs basil and oregano also from our garden. I make my own garlic butter too.
It was a nice, if not noisy day,lol

Russ

A very Happy Father's Day to all!

Everyone's meal sound and look delish!

I made a pasta dish for DH

001.jpg

002.jpg

Braised fresh Kale browned & crumbled Sweet Italian Sausage, oodles of sliced Garlic, a good grating of fresh Nutmeg, a pinch of Red Chili Flakes--- all cooked in a gorgeous white wine, evoo and homemade chicken stock
Served over Cheese & Spinach filled Tortillini, tooped with a drizzle of more evoo and grated grana padano cheese
oh yeah, a half of a loaf of TJ's Half Baked Idea Ciabatta to sop up that lovely jus :yum:

... dessert later, come on over to the
"What's For Dessert?" thread later to see ---

Poo's father died when he was an infant. So growing up I use to tell him since I was both mother and father to him, I should get a Father's Day present. I was only joking when I told him that, but failed to tell him that little fact. So over the years, I received some strange things for presents.

But yesterday, Poo showed up and gave me $100 cash for Father's Day! It will come in very handy. Although he couldn't stay too long, he stayed long enough to grab right out of the oven, a VERY HOT boneless pork chop drenched in Ah So sauce. I asked him what he would be eating besides a hot chop and he told me that he and his son stopped on the way down at a diner to eat something. So much for his Father's Day dinner.

...My sweet daughter-in-law has a big hole in her heart today, the fist Dad's day since she lost him a few months ago...People that young should still have their Dads...
It doesn't matter how old you get, it stills seems like you're too young to lose your Dad...or Mom. *sigh*

After salads and shrimp, we moved on to watching a movie. By the time the movie was over, neither of us were interested in dessert. This could end up working as a weight reduction program - stall until you lose interest. :LOL:

Attachments

• 20180617_213114.jpg
    20180617_213114.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 110
  • 20180617_213132.jpg
    20180617_213132.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom