Day After Christmas Dinner 2015

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
In the years past, this would be a big shopping day for me. Looking for those great After-Christmas sales, but not this year. I've decided to spend today clearing out "stuff" prior to our moving so that I am not caught short.

So, for dinner we'll have what we had planned on having yesterday:
Roast Turkey Breast (already done and in the `fridge)
My version of Stuffing, made with Portuguese Sausage
Mashed Yukon Gold Potatoes
Glazed Carrots
Pillsbury Crescent Rolls (DH FAVE)
Gravy
Homemade Apple Crostata for dessert

What's on your table, or are you out shopping?

After yesterday's roast dinner, I don't feel like heating up the leftovers (was going to slice the meat into the remaining gravy and simmer it briefly on a low heat. (Was going to heat the roast potatoes in the oven along with freshly roasted beetroot wedges).

I am in the mood for something like a stew made from the remnants, with some fresh green beans, sauteed onion, chillies and garlic to pep it up a bit.

I made some 'sweets' too - I tried out a recipe for chocolate marzipan (that I will be improving on), wrapped them around brazil nuts and dipped in dark chocolate to set.

Last edited:
A repeat of yesterday's dinner at my house.

I need to get busy and package up the leftover ham so I can simmer the bone for stock. Tomorrow I will skim the fat from the stock and freeze it, too warm to make soup! :mad: Also freezing some leftover kielbasa, cut into coins, for New Years Eve. Other than that just leftovers for today and tomorrow.

New food on Monday! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Dx made homemade bread rolls for Christmas eve and they were sitting on the counter rising when Jr's arrived. He took one look and said Whaat ! no popovers?!? He missed the look on his Mom's face. She doesn't bake bread very often, and this was a surprise. Later, she said , go ahead and make popovers and we agreed we'll have both. Anyway, there's rolls for sandwiches for lunch. I'm not sure how well leftover popovers warm up, but I guess we'll find out today. Plus there is extra potato lefse I made on the 23rd. So I guess we're fully covered in the bread category.

Dinner is going to be cold leftover chicken and warmed up beef stroganoff. And salad fixin's. (and perhaps a few cookies, pie and ice cream.)

I am not going to any stores today. Dx, on the other hand, is Out since very early with her sister. They like to Shop. With a Capital S.

We're having the leftover roast beef thinly sliced to make sandwiches. We'll have a bowl of soup with the sandwiches.

Going to a friend's for turkey. I am bringing cauliflower buffalo "wings" and two tyoes of hummus with veggies and mini homemade mini pitas for nashing while tthe kids open gifts.

Still really warm for the end of December - mid 40's! Dijon mustard and bread crumb coated salmon steaks on the grill, baked potatoes, and broc.

I took advantage of the warm weather and took down the outdoor holiday decorations today. Usually freezing my fingers off, as it's nearly impossible to do with gloves on.

Something with leftover ham I brought home from my daughters, not sure yet. Probably either a ham and cheese on rye, or an omelette. I ate so much yesterday that I don't feel like having a big meal today.

Everyone's dinners sounds yummy!

001.JPG
My version of Dressing, made with seasoned
croutons, dried cranberries and Portuguese Sausage
Hawaiian Portuguese Sausage.JPG
it comes out nice and fluffy, ready to except GRAVY!
Very Flavorful.
DH said that he had never thought about "filling" before I brought it up
Too many of them that we've had are too soggy and/or tasteless
002.jpg
DH's fave, Pillsbury Crescent rolls. I use a
silpat so that they don't burn on the bottom
003.JPG
What a plate! I followed everyone's suggestion
to reheat the bird (I roasted it yesterday) in the gravy, it came out GREAT!
004.JPG
Dessert: homemade Apple Crostata with whipped cream...
I'M STUFFED!

Had a hankering for pizza and went to a restaurant that's supposed to do it well. Wood fired and all. It was mediocre at best.

Cracked me up when the 5 20-something year old Danish guys at the table next to us asked us if they could have our salsa that we weren't eating. Sure, no problem. They took the gringo (mild) salsa, then I told them to take the habanero salsa as well. One guy took a huge scoop of the habanero, and I thought it might be time to use my CPR training! His buddies were laughing their butts off! Thankfully, they understood that you only need a couple drops on the chip!

Last edited:
Wow, that's a beautiful day after spread Kgirl!
Everyone's meals sound delicious tonight.

For lunch today, we enjoyed some roast duck pieces we brought back home from yesterday's feast. :yum: Some family members turn their nose up at duck, and some are vegetarians. I'm thankful for that..ha! They don't know what they missed. :rolleyes:

For dinner tonight I did some Salsbury Steaks with a nice mushroom/onion sauce, his on top of mashed taters. We both enjoyed the glorified salads, complete with ripe tomatoes picked from our giant plant that continues to produce at the end of December. :wacko:

Wow, that's a beautiful day after spread Kgirl!
Everyone's meals sound delicious tonight.

For lunch today, we enjoyed some roast duck pieces we brought back home from yesterday's feast. :yum: Some family members turn their nose up at duck, and some are vegetarians. I'm thankful for that..ha! They don't know what they missed. :rolleyes:

For dinner tonight I did some Salsbury Steaks with a nice mushroom/onion sauce, his on top of mashed taters. We both enjoyed the glorified salads, complete with ripe tomatoes picked from our giant plant that continues to produce at the end of December. :wacko:

Mahalos, K, your Sous Chef posted a photo of your duckies, MMM!
I LOVE duck and DH does NOT care for it, too fatty...not if it's done right, right?! There was a Chinese Restaurant in Honolulu that my Grandfather took us to and he would order a duck each visit; only my one cousin, me and Granpa would eat it with bao and some hoisin and green onion, OH MY GRAVY ALL OVER MY TWO SCOOPS RICE, ONO! This past May when DH and I went home, we went looking for that restaurant, it is no more *sniff* :(

Mahalos, K, your Sous Chef posted a photo of your duckies, MMM!
I LOVE duck and DH does NOT care for it, too fatty...not if it's done right, right?! There was a Chinese Restaurant in Honolulu that my Grandfather took us to and he would order a duck each visit; only my one cousin, me and Granpa would eat it with bao and some hoisin and green onion, OH MY GRAVY ALL OVER MY TWO SCOOPS RICE, ONO! This past May when DH and I went home, we went looking for that restaurant, it is no more *sniff* :(

If you have a mind to ever cook a duck Kgirl, I promise you that this recipe is never "fatty" and perfectly cooked, providing the directions are followed exactly as written. Give it a go, it's so worth it. Our own FrankZ turned me onto it a while ago.
The Best Way to Roast a Duck (Hello, Crispy Skin!) | The Hungry Mouse

We had a long busy day yesterday so didn't feel like cooking. Barilla marinara sauce over Butoni fresh garlic cheese tortellini.

I was pretty tired yesterday, so DH heated up some leftover pork chile verde and made rice. That stuff just gets better and better as it sits :yum: And it couldn't be easier.

Our kids' birthday is next Tuesday, December 29th. However, yesterday was the best day for us to celebrate with our annual night out together. First, you have to understand HOW hard it is for our two to decide on where to go. They're supposed to take turns picking. However, Goober is great at getting his way because his wonderful sister Loverly would rather cave in than listen to him complain. I came into town with a plan. There has been a lot of love given to a new Cleveland restaurant, Bourbon Street Barrel Room. First, I asked Loverly "do you like Cajun food?" I believe her response was in the way of a drool. :LOL: Same question posed to Goober, who asked "do you know if they offer a Muffaletta?" When I said "yes", he said "I'm in". THAT was the easiest birthday dinner planning ever!

Now on to the meal. In a previous life as an employee, Himself made a number of business trips to New Orleans. He knew what the real stuff tasted like. So did our son, since he spent just shy of two days there while driving from Fort Myers to Phoenix when he inherited his Grandpa's car. They both said it tasted like they were eating in the Big Easy. All I know is we all enjoyed our meals immensely. Himself and Loverly each had Louisiana Crawfish Etouffee, Goober had his Muffaletta, and I had New Orleans BBQ Shrimp and Grits. We enjoyed our meals so much I'm glad we don't live close to BSBR. We could put a serious dent in our budget if we did. :ermm:

That looks like such a great place CG, and the menu had me drooling. Please tell me they brought birthday desserts for the kids to share with you....hopefully the bread pudding with Bourbon sauce? *Thud*

Actually, we didn't bother saying anything about it being their birthday until our lovely server, Kristin, was bringing out the bill. Didn't matter, as there was no room for dessert. Three of us brought home leftovers, and Himself was wishing he hadn't been a member of the Clean Plate Club just about then.

IF we're back home at my birthday time, I just might mention that it's my birthday and ask for the owner to come out to visit. That's all. Turns out he was in the Ladies' room fixing something when I needed to rinse my contact lenses out. When he and the guy who was holding the door open gave the room up to me I walked in, and then turned around and went back out. Asked him if he was the manager; he chuckled and said "something like that". Turns out he conceptualized and designed the place and it's his baby. We had a very nice talk about locavore foods and menu planning and stuff. I'd just be thrilled to have him drop in at our table to visit and have a drink while we're waiting for our meals to be prepared.

Last edited:
Had the turkey supper on the 26th at the mummy-in-law's place. I had been feeling off, so we didn't know for sure if we would make it for Xmas day. We did. M-I-L took the turkey out of the freezer when we got there and we had lasagna on Xmas day. It was all good.

Back
Top Bottom