Day before NYE, 12-30-15. What's on your plate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Mushroom spinach lasagna and salad. We started out with these

37240-albums1008-picture6343.jpg

Pink, golden and white oysters plus a few chantarelles, and ended up with
37240-albums1008-picture6344.jpg

We're finally in the middle of weather that is more like it should be for this season. Kinda cold and blustery. So I decided to make a nice big pot of soup.

Put together a chicken-mushroom-wild rice soup. Turned out particularly good and there's plenty for another good-sized meal, along with enough to freeze for busier days.

It filled us and warmed us.

I had a bowl of beef stew for lunch. For dinner I just made open faced tuna melts on an English muffin (with Bacon added;)) and some home made cole slaw with a bottled cole slaw dressing that Jr turned me on to.

Regionally available. Jimmy's brand. It's not too sweet, just don't read the label.

Attachments

• jimmy's original cole slaw.jpg
    jimmy's original cole slaw.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 257
Sounds good everybody!
Oh Med, what a beautiful selection of mushrooms! Is there a recipe you can share?

We have some leftover wings, not enough for us, so a couple of Italian sweet sausages will round it out. I'm roasting some cauliflower along with asparagus, and the SC will have a baked spud.

Sounds good everybody!
Oh Med, what a beautiful selection of mushrooms! Is there a recipe you can share?

We have some leftover wings, not enough for us, so a couple of Italian sweet sausages will round it out. I'm roasting some cauliflower along with asparagus, and the SC will have a baked spud.

Wow, did I ever learn something tonight!

Roasted Sweet Italian sausages,
are a stand alone star in their own right. I've always used Italian sausage in Italian cooking but never as a stand alone sausage..holy cow they were just spectacular and the star of the meal rather than the "filler". I'll never neglect those darlings again!!

Nothing is on my plate! The damned chef is typing on the Internet on some cooking site. Well to be fair to him he has some Lundburg's Olde World Pilaf simmering on the stove (a rice and beans combination, requires about 40 minutes simmering and maybe 10 minutes to soak up the steam). By the way I would like to compliment Lundberg's rice products and suggest you try some, available online or at Whole Foods Market...

Anyway the chef seems to have some skin-on salmon marinating in minced garlic, honey and soy sauce. I suggest you should look into heavy, sweet soy sauce. I found some online but it was ridiculously expensive. I get Healthy Boy brand sweet soy sauce at my local Asian market for maybe $4-$5 per bottle. I mix the thick, sweet sauce with ordinary (Kikoman) sauce for the right consistency.

My dinner is completed with some steamed Sprouts au Brussels served with the fat skimmed off of cow milk (butter, also known as butyric tri-glyceride) and that's dinner for me when the rice is ready. The salmon broils quickly and the sprouts nuke quickly, so I'm just biding my time for the rice to get done.

Rice is really an interesting ingredient, but most of the stuff they sell in ordinary supermarkets is IMO tasteless, particularly instant rice blends. White rice takes 20 minutes to cook, brown rice takes 40 minutes to cook. If your rice mix takes anything else it's a convenience rice, and may or may not be good. On occasion I use instant rices (Mahatma yellow rice is particularly good -- if you add additional ingredients, and their Spanish rice is fair -- again if you amp it up) but let's not confuse instant rice with real rice.

Last edited:
Lots of good looking dinners tonight. I wish I had eaten at one of your homes...

Kayelle, try grilling those Italian sausages outside. They are so good with onions and peppers. You could even get your grill basket to cook up the onions and peppers. Just make sure you don't let the sausages flare up on you. ;)

Greg, no need to go to Whole Paycheck for that Lundberg rice. We have it in our local Market Basket, a family chain with just under 100 stores in the MA/NH/ME market. Ralph's, Von's, or Albertson's probably carry it too. Also, some parts of the country market Mahatma rice as "Carolina". They aren't instant, though. I like using the white-and-wild-rice mix when I make a pot of creamy chicken and wild rice soup. :yum:

We did a run down to Amish Country so that I could get a tub of lard. Can't find lard ANYWHERE near me, so I have to buy contraband when I'm out of the state. ;) While down that way, we stopped at a favorite Amish restaurant. Since we were there last, it changed ownership. Sadly, it is no longer going to be a "favorite". I had what was supposed to be "lightly breaded Lake Erie Perch fillets". Instead, it seems I was served heavily cornmeal coated ocean perch, a very poor substitute. Himself had their special pork chop. Meh, fried and OK. I think I'll dig out my souvenir Amish cookbooks when we get home to see if there is something real I can cook myself.

DH suggested pizza tonight and offered to go pick it up. Of course, I said yes! I had a late lunch anyway and wasn't into cooking. I think he could tell ;)

CG, would you believe I just realized in the last few years that the Dutch in Pennsylvania Dutch actually meant Deutsche? :LOL: I sort of thought they were German, based on the food, but hadn't sought out the history before. I'd be interested in hearing about what you come up with.

Btw, I bought some fatback at Kroger to make into lard. Need to do that tomorrow.

Last edited:
Greg, no need to go to Whole Paycheck for that Lundberg rice. We have it in our local Market Basket, a family chain with just under 100 stores in the MA/NH/ME market. Ralph's, Von's, or Albertson's probably carry it too.
Lundberg is one of the major rice producers in the U.S. One of the regional supermarkets (Hannaford) has a couple varieties in the bulk food section.

To stay on topic in this thread, it was just me tonight, so I retrieved some spaghetti sauce from the freezer and cooked some pasta.

Sounds good everybody!

It's from Wild Mushroom and Spinach Lasagna Recipe | Martha Stewart . I only made a third of the recipe and used a loaf pan since it was just the 2 of us. Though I did make half of the béchamel and used every bit of it since we like to have extra sauce for serving. Next time, I think we'll make the spinach-garlic pasta we had mentioned and posted the recipe for a while back and use that for the lasagna noodles. I just used the ready for the oven barilla ones soaked for a few minutes in hot water this time. We both thought it was pretty darn good. Usually I can't eat much of vegetarian lasagna because it's always really rich in cheese and cream to make up for the meat but this one was almost perfect, still a little rich but not so much.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom