"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 06-23-2006, 10:44 AM   #11
Head Chef
Originally Posted by Iclavdivs
does anybody know a book/website of betty crocker complete meals so that for each recipe I am also given the name of appropriate sides and accompaniments.
Do you have "How to Cook Everything" by Mark Bittman in your cookbook collection? I mention it because, in addition to being one of my favorites, it has a section called "Menus" that sounds exactly like what you're looking for. It's formatted as follows:
  • Breakfasts
    • Weekday Breakfasts
    • Weekend Breakfasts
  • Brunches
    • Sit-Down Brunches
    • Buffet Brunches
  • Lunches
    • Light Lunches
    • Lunches to Pack
    • Picnic Lunches
    • Buffet Lunches
  • Dinners
    • Indoor Dinners
    • Outdoor Dinners
    • Special Occasion Dinners
  • In-Between Meals
    • Afternoon Teas
    • Cocktail Parties
  • Miscellaneous
Each heading has many menus and, of course each item has an indexed recipe. The section is 18 pages long and includes 135 menus. The book has been out since '98 and received The Julia Child Cookbook Award and the James Beard Foundation Cookbook award.

Note to publisher: Please verify the spelling of my name before mailing my check.

Old bachelor cook

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 01:51 PM   #12
Head Chef
I just remembered this one but I don't know if it's still in print. I have seen it on used bookstore shelves occasionally.

"60-Minute Gourmet" by Pierre Franey 1979.

The whole book consists of main dish recipes with one corresponding side dish. I didn't think of it because I haven't used in quite a while but, as I thumb through it, it won't go back on the shelf right away.

Old bachelor cook

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 02:47 PM   #13
Assistant Cook
Another website you may want to check out is savingdinner.com. You can sign up for either 3, 6 or 12 months at a time and each week you will receive 6 main dish recipes, suggestions for side dishes (no recipes) and a grocery list (which includes ingredients for the suggested sides).

Iíve purchased these menus sporadically the past couple of years and theyíve helped me a lot. Iím like you in that I donít mind cooking, starting to actually enjoy it, but I have trouble coming up a complete menu.
amym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 04:17 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
Amen to skilletlicker's suggestion about Mark Bittman's book.

It's easy to read and he has a nice relaxed way of imparting information that I particularly like.

Also has great ideas of what goes with what.

p.s. Please come fix my yard - I'm about gardening the way you are about cooking. I want it to look great, but have little know-how. (Connie, don't smack me - I know you are the go-to person for plants!)
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 06:13 AM   #15
Master Chef
My mom trained me to go for color. It's actually nutritionally sound. You want red and green. Starches are usually white. Protein is brown or white. In your imagination, think of what your main dish is going to look like, then add some color. Need red? Make sure you add carrots or tomatoes. Need green? Well, I'm a firm believer in salad for every meal. Nothing adds cool like a cucumber. Think of your plate as a palate, and make sure that there's plenty of color.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 09:25 AM   #16
Master Chef
My mom didn't enjoy cooking much, except for baking, but she was ahead of her time on nutritious food and a balanced diet. I learned that a meal consisted of a protein, a starch, and a green vegetable. She was also big on carrots. We got fruit at breakfast, in desserts, and for snacks.
We've learned a lot about nutrition since then, but at least I did get a good start.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 08:25 PM   #17
Assistant Cook
Thanks a million for all the book suggestions.

I'm going to hunt them down on amazon.com.

Wow this place is a great resource!

iclavdivs is offline   Reply With Quote