"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 06-22-2006, 02:59 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Deciding on accompaniments and sides

Hi I'm new to this forum.

I haven't cooked from recipes for over 10 years. Now the children are older I want to start using recipe books to prepare dinner. I bought a ton of cook books.

I love the betty crocker recipes (esp the 30 minute ones) and particularly the ones that suggest what you should serv it with. e.g. barbecue pork with pototo salad. i.e. you get the whole meal and don't have to figure out what your going to serve with it

So........my question is does anybody know a book/website of betty crocker complete meals so that for each recipe I am also given the name of appropriate sides and accompaniments. It's too time consuming to plough through the sides to see what might work - I'm amazed that the book isn't organized like this.

I just want all the 'thinking' done for me - tell me what to cook and I'll cook it!

Any pointers greatly appreciated!

Old 06-22-2006, 03:33 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

Welcome to the site. I do not know of any books like that although I am sure some do exist. What I can suggest though is use this website. Tell us what you are planning on making for dinner and we will give you tons of suggestions of things that will go with it.

Old 06-22-2006, 03:43 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Hi!

Shame about the lack of complete planned meals but thanks for the offer of help!
Old 06-22-2006, 05:11 PM   #4
Master Chef

Iclavdis - you really need to figure out your own accompaniments. What works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. Cooking isn't an exact science - there isn't a particular "side" that works for every main dish. You can't have all "the thinking done" for you. Good grief - cooking is supposed to be enjoyable - not a robotic experience!
Old 06-22-2006, 07:10 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Hi BreezyCooking,

I do find cooking enjoyable when the menu is planned for me - I don't love the process nor do I hate it - it's a necessary chore like cleaning the bathroom - it's a chore but I like the result! I'd much rather stand on the shoulders of giants who have toiled over designing recipes and complete meal combinations and I'm prepared to pay for the privilege.

People hire interior designers for the same reason others just love doing all their own decorating and remodelling.

My passions are reading and gardening. Sure a landscape architect might do a better job than me but I'd much rather design my own landscape and flowerbeds - it's a pleasure and a creative outlet.....so I understand what you're saying about cooking - but there's just so many other things I'd rather do instead - cooking is not my thing.

peace.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:31 PM   #6
Master Chef

You sound like my mother. She was a school teacher, and during the summer, she wanted to spend her time gardening, not cooking. But Dad worked second shift, and needed a good meal at noon, before he went to work. That's how I learned to cook. I did the meal planning, shopping, cooking and clean-up, and got the use of the convertible plus gas and spending money in exchange.

Check out this website...I think it has exactly what you need. For example, type beef into the search, and it will come up with all sorts of menus including beef.

http://www.mealsforyou.com/cgi-bin/c...eals_main.html

They even have already prepared meals that you can order from their store.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:59 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Ciao and welcome to DC!!

I hope you will hang with us for a while, then we will make you realise cooking can also be a fun and rewarding hobby!!

Anyway, like Breezy said, everyone's tastebud is different, so there is no absolute way to tell what kind of matches are good for certain food.
Why don't you use a search engine here, entering the name of the item you are interested in using, then you may find many variety of interesting/tasty ways to enjoy that item, also you will find many ideas for quick, simple cooking, so you will be able to have more time for other activities.

I hope you will find this forum useful to you, and meet some of our helpful and friendly folks, maybe you will end up adding yet another favourite activity in your hobby list one day soon!!
Old 06-23-2006, 08:15 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

ooooh, Thanks for the MealsForYou link - put it straight in my favorite places.

I just wanted to say that I've always cooked for the past 10 years - just not from recipes (just plain food from my own head)

Last night I cooked betty crocker's mexican beef with black beans - very quick to make - tasted spicy lemony and tangy very different combination of flavors to what we're used to - Also we've never had black beans before - delicious!

I served it with tortilla chips, grated cheese and sour cream (stuff I had hanging around)

I think this forum is going to be a great resource in my new cooking venture.

Peace.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:44 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Check out cooking magazines too for some hints on 'what to serve with'; two I can think of right off the bat are Cooking Light and FIne Cooking. They also both have websites.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:18 AM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

Great suggestion Marm. Another one is Cuisine At Home. All (or most) of their recipes come with side dish recipes that go with the main dish.