"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 03-28-2009, 12:11 PM   #211
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave the baker View Post
Oatmeal with raisins, skim milk and splenda. Just like everyday now that I'm on a strict diet. With the exception of one day a week when I get to have a "normal" meal, just one. I normally choose to make it breakfast, but this week I'm hungerin' for red, bloody MEAT!
I haven't read through all the forums, but if you don't mind me asking, what kind of stict diet are you on?

My BF just found out that he has Type 2 Diabetes, and we might have to totally rethink our diet. Well, I have to get a handle on this as I am the one that makes breakfast, lunch and dinner. The one meal I am finding the hardest is the lunch that he takes to work. I got into a routine with his lunch, now that has all changed. He has an appointment Wed. morning to get more information.

I think this should be over in the Special Diets forum, and I didn't mean to hijack my own thread.

This morning we are having scrambled eggs with diced red bell pepper and green onion.. bacon and toast on the side.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:30 PM   #212
Sous Chef

Vanilla: The doc said my BP was still too high, my cholesterol was killing me and my triglyicerides (spelling) were on the verge of my being diabetic. Also anemic and needing to lose some blubber. In other words, a total wreck.

Diet: NO EGGS! Breakfast: oatmeal with raisins and non-fat milk ( as a kid we called it "blue milk"). Tea. Sweetener throughout the day is sucralose (Splenda). Occasionaly a smoothie: 1 C non-fat milk, 1 scoop (approx. 1/4 C) Whey powder, 1 Tbsp ground Flax Seed, 1 banana or 1 C frozen Strawberries. Smidgen of Cinnamon, if desired. If too bitter add some Splenda (0 cals).

Lunch: celery and carrot sticks with a non-fat dip, grapes, iced tea. Dip is made by draining a 26 oz container of non-fat plain yogurt through a seive lined with several coffee filters for several hours, until all that is left is a very thick yogurt
(Greek style). Then mix with Hidden Valley Ranch Dip mix, or I make Tzatzaki. Grate one or two cucumbers, salt and drain. Mince one or more cloves of garlic, to taste. Add to yogurt along with 1 tsp dried Dill weed (or more). Good. I don't use salt on anything. MSG (lightly) or Morton's Salt Substitute (posassium chorlide).

Dinner: usually steamed veggies and some diced, cooked breast of chicken.
Sometimes I make a sauce: 1/4 C powdered Cheese, 1/2 C non-fat milk, 2 Tbsp Cornstarch, 2 Tbsp margerine. Heat milk and butter, stir in cheese and cornstarch, stir over med heat until thickened.

Snack: a few pieces of dried fruit.

Well, that's it. Exciting, isn't it? I've lost 16 pounds in the last two weeks, BP is down. The other parameters, I'll have to wait until late May for my next set of lab tests.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:41 PM   #213
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Today began as a blowy, grey and rainy day. Stormed a lot of the night last night, so this morning I decided I wanted a nice big bowl of cream of wheat. Did that and had a nice hot cup of apple-cinnamon tea and a glass of juice. That was enough for me today. Sunday is when we usually indulge.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:51 PM   #214
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to meshoo96
DH mentioned burger dogs today and in anticipation of that, I skipped breakfast and lunch so I'd have room in calories, fat, and sodium. He ended up not making them so I'm at 1/2 of everything today.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:44 AM   #215
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave the baker View Post
Vanilla: The doc said my BP was still too high, my cholesterol was killing me and my triglyicerides (spelling) were on the verge of my being diabetic. Also anemic and needing to lose some blubber. In other words, a total wreck.

Diet: NO EGGS! Breakfast: oatmeal with raisins and non-fat milk ( as a kid we called it "blue milk"). Tea. Sweetener throughout the day is sucralose (Splenda). Occasionaly a smoothie: 1 C non-fat milk, 1 scoop (approx. 1/4 C) Whey powder, 1 Tbsp ground Flax Seed, 1 banana or 1 C frozen Strawberries. Smidgen of Cinnamon, if desired. If too bitter add some Splenda (0 cals).

Lunch: celery and carrot sticks with a non-fat dip, grapes, iced tea. Dip is made by draining a 26 oz container of non-fat plain yogurt through a seive lined with several coffee filters for several hours, until all that is left is a very thick yogurt
(Greek style). Then mix with Hidden Valley Ranch Dip mix, or I make Tzatzaki. Grate one or two cucumbers, salt and drain. Mince one or more cloves of garlic, to taste. Add to yogurt along with 1 tsp dried Dill weed (or more). Good. I don't use salt on anything. MSG (lightly) or Morton's Salt Substitute (posassium chorlide).

Dinner: usually steamed veggies and some diced, cooked breast of chicken.
Sometimes I make a sauce: 1/4 C powdered Cheese, 1/2 C non-fat milk, 2 Tbsp Cornstarch, 2 Tbsp margerine. Heat milk and butter, stir in cheese and cornstarch, stir over med heat until thickened.

Snack: a few pieces of dried fruit.

Well, that's it. Exciting, isn't it? I've lost 16 pounds in the last two weeks, BP is down. The other parameters, I'll have to wait until late May for my next set of lab tests.
Thank you so much for sharing. I'm trying to get an idea of how to meal plan. My mom works in a hospital back East (NY state) and sent me a lot of info that I received yesterday.

How you lay out your meals has given me a few ideas. Thank you again.

This was our breakfast yesterday. We didn't worry about anything, since it might be the last
time he can have something like this.

Today, I'm not sure.. either an omelet or poached eggs.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:08 PM   #216
Head Chef

Nope, just some black coffee. But, now am getting hungry, so defrosted some sausage we made in class, browned it, added sliced onions, shredded potatoes and cabbage.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:20 PM   #217
Head Chef

My standard breakfast. Cup of coffee with cream and sugar, five whole wheat crackers with sliced Manchego cheese. Later this morning, we are driving into Vallarta to go to Costco, so we may stop at La Casa Waffle (pronounced Wah-flay here) for some lunch.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:40 PM   #218
Master Chef

I made frittata , which consist of diced potatoes, sweet red pepper, salt and melange of pepper, roasted garlic , onions and of course eggs.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:55 PM   #219
Sous Chef

oatmeal
Old 04-02-2009, 10:17 AM   #220
Master Chef

Pesto Scrambled eggs. oolong tea .