"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 07-05-2005, 09:32 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Not really so much major changes, but both PeppA and myself have had to learn to accept foods from outside our experiences. I'm a fairly open-minded person when it comes to food, as long as it's flavorful. Unfortunately, PeppA was raised on plain, absolutely, plain food, no salt, pepper, etc. I have to tone down many of the things that I make so that she can eat it.

Sadly, while PeppA usually eats what I make, I have to force myself to eat what she or her mother makes. Many times, I just can't eat it. It's not that the food is burned or anything, I just have some hangup's as to how food should be prepared, due to my culinary background and training.

Old 07-05-2005, 09:44 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
I lived for several years with a girl who couldent boil water without burning it. She was a nice person and a good eater but I really couldent make stuff from scratch... I remember her thinking my rustic spagetti sauce tasted weird (as it didint come out of a jar) and when she tried my lasagna she thought it was great and asked me what brand it was. Im like "From scratch (tm)!".

Also we briefly did the atkins... that was fun if anything due to the creativity I had to pour into it. With some world cook books, the internet, biochemical (and microbiology) background and a little creativity I designed some really good low carb eats.

Old 07-05-2005, 11:45 PM   #13
Executive Chef

When I first met my husband, I thought he was one of those guys who would eat anything in front of him. As it turns out he is pickier than our toddler. He doesn't like eggs, what am I to make for breakfast? He doesn't like seafood, living in the Pacific NW. No Thai, cooked carrots or cooked spinach, goat cheese, chinese, anything too exotic, and it seems everything I really like he doesn't like at all. I am slowly getting him to like certain things but it takes a lot of time. He likes fruity desserts and I can't go a day without chocolate desserts. Opposites attract.

One thing that gets me through this is my husband's work schedule. He works 24-hour shifts, so on those days I get to cook for myself. Omlettes with goat cheese, sauteed spinach and grilled corn on the cob.
-Brooke
Old 07-06-2005, 12:45 AM   #14
Master Chef

i don't live with my fiance yet. (he wants to get a pitbull and hang a mounted deer head in our house and i just won't have either in my house, so the chances of us finally getting hitched are diminishing rather quickly. if we do, i'll probably accidentally drop the deer head into the trash can on trash day, then accidentally put an ad in the paper for the pitbull.)
but i cook for him sometimes and we go out to eat a lot. we like the same things. we have steaks and pierogies a lot. eat n park if it's 2 or 3 in the morning.
we usually go to ruth's chris for dinner, or to this sushi bar that we love. he hates sushi but they also have a kitchen that offers Chinese food, so he orders that or something else that he likes.
i love my babe with all my heart. but i wouldn't change my cooking style or tastes for him or anyone else. cooking is my main thing, cooking is my fascination, and if he doesn't like what i'm making, well, he can make himself a sandwich.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:46 AM   #15
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
My husband would not eat much in the way of veggies, he had been brought up on boring boiled veg. He had to change, and now eats all veg except celery!
Old 07-06-2005, 01:49 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

When we got together he was a single man living out of tins and I was a divorcee who knew how to cook. I think I could've fed him practically anything and he would've sobbed with gratitude. I didn't have to change my cooking style until 9 years into our marriage when, at the age of 34 he was diagnosed with insulin dependent diabetes. Overnight every meal had to contain some form of slow release carbohydrate. Nine years on and with son no2 also having been diagnosed it's a habit to plan every meal around the carbs. On the rare occasions when they are both out of the house I might prepare a meal without carbs just for the sheer **** of it!
Old 07-06-2005, 03:33 AM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles
My husband would not eat much in the way of veggies, he had been brought up on boring boiled veg. He had to change, and now eats all veg except celery!
boring boiled veggies are probably the main reason some people don't like them.
i wasn't allowed not to like my boiled veggies, lol. my Mom or Dad would say 'eat your vegetables' and that was that. i loved veggies, though. i still do, but i only cook them for a few minutes, usually.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:47 AM   #18
Executive Chef

For the life of me, I cannot force myself to eat canned spinach (smell makes me want to hurl), and the texture of boiled-to-death squash is the same. Lightly sauteed squash, or briefly grilled squash is great. I've always been able to eat raw spinach.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:32 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenMI
For the life of me, I cannot force myself to eat canned spinach (smell makes me want to hurl), and the texture of boiled-to-death squash is the same. Lightly sauteed squash, or briefly grilled squash is great. I've always been able to eat raw spinach.
I'm with you Allen, the spinach tastes like tin cans to me..I feel the same way about soda in cans as well..I don't like any veggie cooked to death I want to taste and feel the texture..Shoot if I didn't want to shew, I'd stick a straw in baby food and have a go at that..
kadesma
Old 07-06-2005, 06:42 PM   #20
Head Chef

I think certain veggies in a can have a smell or funny taste to them. I can't eat canned baby corn, water chestnuts or mushrooms w/o rinsing them really well. If I don't, I swear I can taste/smell the tin.