Dinner 1/1/11 Saturday?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kathleen and Z.....to answer your questions.....
I soaked a package of black eye peas overnight.
I half filled my pot with water, and threw in the four ham hocks and boiled till tender and falling off the bone. I then removed all the lean ham and returned it to the pot with the BEP's and cooked the peas till nearly tender.
Then I added salt (not before the pea's are tender) and shakes of "this and that" spices. I added the package of chopped frozen collard greens and the juice of a whole lemon, and cooked some more with the lemon halves. The lemon gives it a nice bright flavor. My southern mama said the peas are the coins, but the collards are the greenbacks for good fortune with the new year. Besides, it makes a durn fine supper. ;) Thanks for asking, and Happy New Year!

*sits listening as attentive as an honor roll student vying to be valedictorian while taking copious notes....as she re-reads them, she eyes Z and whispers, "I'll bet that 'this and that spices' thing is the real trick. Notice that she jumped right over that."* :LOL:

Last edited:
*sits listening as attentive as an honor roll student vying to be valedictorian while taking copious notes....as she re-reads them, she eyes Z and whispers, "I'll bet that "this and that spices" thing is the real trick. Note she jumped right over that." :LOL:

Yeah, I did notice that. You've got to watch her when she gets sneaky like that. Maybe we can weasel the spices out of her.:ROFLMAO:

You meal looks fantastic, Keyelle. The lobster is sitting there so perfect.

:LOL: Kathleen and Z.:LOL: "This and that" spices were garlic powder, onion powder, basil, thyme, fresh ground black pepper, and hot pepper flakes. I'm a salt addict so I'm always heavy on the salt, but not before the peas/beans are tender, as it will toughen the peas/beans to use it at the start.

My question is if there is a special reason to cook the ham hocks separately?
Because I soaked the peas overnight, the hocks needed to cook longer than the peas, otherwise the peas would be overcooked by the time the meat was falling off the bone on the hocks. For split pea soup, I cook it all together, since you can't overcook split peas.

:LOL: Kathleen and Z.:LOL: "This and that" spices were garlic powder, onion powder, basil, thyme, fresh ground black pepper, and hot pepper flakes. I'm a salt addict so I'm always heavy on the salt, but not before the peas/beans are tender, as it will toughen the peas/beans to use it at the start.

Thanks, Kayelle! :) I'll let Z pester you about how much of each! :ROFLMAO:

My husband was beat after a late night (for us!) out, and didn't want anything but fish tacos. I was prepared to make us a nice dinner, but when it's two of you, it seems kind of pointless; especially since I'm making a tourtiere dinner for friends tomorrow. So fish tacos it was. (P.S., for southerners, we did have our black-eyed peas last night!)

We had mostly finger foods throughout the evening/night:
Started with a mixed green salad, and then we had:
Smoked salmon canapes (chopped salmon mixed with cream cheese, etc.), on pumpernickel, deviled eggs, and cheddar-stuffed potatoes. Was going to make spinach-stuffed mushrooms, but I'll save that for another time.

Back
Top Bottom