Dinner 1/1/11 Saturday?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I'm going to go with ham steaks, twice baked potatoes, either peas or green beans and the mushrrom gratin (of course).

I often freeze leftover taco burger, Z. I like it on scrambled eggs with some cheddar on top. Good brekkie ;^)

just had an early dinner, lunch or brunch. a over easy egg and a spinach roll-up with cheese. didn't get up to one pm. i think i am still sick or getting sick again., my bad!!

We had grilled pork chops seasoned with an herb/spice blend, potatoes mashed with buttermilk and dill, red cabbage and apples, and apple sauce. It was really good.

A new year: a new recipe for me. I found the recipe for the red cabbage here. I had to start a new year with a new recipe! :chef: Besides...one of my new year's resolutions is to find cooked veggies that Frank will enjoy!

~Kathleen

DH will be cooking http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f21/mock-armadillo-danish-meatloaf-69011.html?highlight=armadillo. I'll prep some root vegis to roast with the meatloaf and make a salad. He can cook the basmati rice too ;)

I figure I'll cut some of the carrots as rounds. Never heard the tradition of the coins/gold/cash before, but I like it. The carrot can be coins, the salad can be cash, and I'll throw some frozen corn in the rice near the end.

No rødkål tonight. We used it up and need to buy some more red cabbage.

Here's my first attempt at posting pictures of my food. Hope it works.

This is our fancy dinner from last night for NYE
img_953825_0_485f555f1b5cfcf89321a39abd566022.jpg

Wow, Kayelle! Those look great! I love seafood and yours looks picture perfect!

How do you make the greens with black-eyed peas and ham hocks?

~Kathleen

I love your idea of combining the black eyed peas with the collards and ham hocks. Sounds wonderful. Please explain how you did it?

Both meals look just wonderful. Do you have any idea how long I have been jonesing for lobster?:pig:

Dang it, KL, drool on the keyboard, AGAIN!:blush:

I'm not normally a big fan of black-eyed peas and I wasn't really looking forward to supper, but I am amazed at how good they turned out tonight! Wow--if I do say so myself!

I was a little concerned because the ham (bone and a lot of meat) had been a honey cured one. I'm more into smoked flavor, especially in beans (The honey cured ham really messed with my head and my palate in the scalloped potatoes the other night.). I found out I had about 5 strips of smoked bacon, so I chopped it up and cooked the onions with it until the onion was translucent. Then I added the ham, black-eyed peas, and water. Absolute perfection! Along with buttered cornbread, it was a perfect New Year's dinner!

:)Barbara

I had to give up on the Parm. chicken. They weren't thawed enough and I was hungry. At least they will be thawed for dinner tomorrow.

I nuked the remaining 3 enchiladas and heated up some cheese sauce with some salsa for dipping. It was okay, but the tortillas just don't reheat well. They were kind of soggy, and I had also added refried beans to the original enchiladas. Yuk. I really just don't like them unless smothered in cheese. Reminds me of poi.:wacko:

I had brown rice to use up, so I made nutty lemon and avocado brown rice....
sautee onion.. add rice and chicken stock... add walnuts, some rosemary and thyme... cook til liquid is gone... diced avocado on top.. YUM YUM YUM
it was fantastic!

Kathleen and Z.....to answer your questions.....
I soaked a package of black eye peas overnight.
I half filled my pot with water, and threw in the four ham hocks and boiled till tender and falling off the bone. I then removed all the lean ham and returned it to the pot with the BEP's and cooked the peas till nearly tender.
Then I added salt (not before the pea's are tender) and shakes of "this and that" spices. I added the package of chopped frozen collard greens and the juice of a whole lemon, and cooked some more with the lemon halves. The lemon gives it a nice bright flavor. My southern mama said the peas are the coins, but the collards are the greenbacks for good fortune with the new year. Besides, it makes a durn fine supper. ;) Thanks for asking, and Happy New Year!

You mentioned something that is different for me.

I always cook my peas/beans with the ham hocks.

When the meat pulls away from the bone, I remove the hocks, let them cool, separate the meat and cut it up, then I don't put the meat back in until just before serving.

Salt, especially when using ham, I add at the very last moment if it needs it. In fact, I prefer to add the last bit of salt to my bowl of beans, because I found that the beans/peas will often seem saltier after being in the fridge overnight and then reheated. I know it doesn't make sense, but it tastes that way.

My question is if there is a special reason to cook the ham hocks separately?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom