Dinner? 1/19

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
Tonight dinner will be one I got an inspiration from just now reading yesterday's menu ideas. I have plenty of leftovers from last night, but DH took portions to work so not again tonight.

Baked fall-apart pork baby ribs with dry rub and bbq sauce in Saran then 2x's foil wrapped, home baked mac and cheese with crouton breading crumbles on top, 3 squash medley in o/o, garlic, lemon, parm cheese, toatsted sunflower seeds, sourdough toast points rubbed with garlic, classic caesar salad, ramakins of apple creme brulee.

RR has it right when she says that one of the biggest bargains in the supermarket is frozen chopped spinach. I'll add the second best bargain. Jars of applesauce. After making home made apple sauce last night, I can not believe how little it yielded from having used that many apples. Dissappointment and lot's of work. It was good and warm, but not worth the work. Never again for me. I now have a new appreciation for Motts.

cooking anyone?

Wow Lefse,
you made homemade applesauce? Boy, that was work..I just use Mott's and spruce it up a little with cinnamon and a pinch of cloves.
Okay we are having chicken fricasse in glazed shallots, garlic,sherry vinegar,cream and chicken stock, this will go over some angel hair pasta,also peas with proscuitto and mushrooms, salad, and rolls. And I'm going to try making my first coconut cream pie..wish me luck:LOL:

kadesma

Here's some luck for you Kadesma! I'm sure it'll be a wonderful pie.

I have no idea what we are having yet... just got out of bed.
Too early to think about dinner yet. : )

My brother and I are thinking about going into business together. Tonight is our first sit down discussion about it. he is bringing over some sausage and lentils that he cooked in his new Crockpot from a recipe I gave him.

GB, I can't wait to hear all the good news you'll be telling us about
your business! Have you decided what kind you want to own yet?

We have not made any decisions at all just yet. His initial thought was opening a deli, but I did not want to do that exactly. I would like to open a sandwich shop which could sell deli type sandwiches, but other things as well. I do not want a restaurant though so I would not want waiters and waitresses and stuff like that. Just counter service. There would be places to sit and eat, but no one to serve you. These are all things we need to discuss tonight though. I know his main draw is that right now he works in Boston in the Prudential building and he feels that if we could get a spot in there (very high rent I am sure) then we could do real well. There are a lot of people in that building who live in the suburbs and do not know their way around the city and are scared to explore so they only look for lunch options inside the building. My brother knows the city pretty well (I don't at all) and said there is no where close that you can get a good sandwich. hopefully i will have some good news to share in the upcoming months.

That sounds like a good plan. Are you close the the Prudential building?
Have fun and good luck! I know that you'll do great at what ever you decide.

No I am not too close to the Pru right now. It is about an hour or so commute (without traffic), but that is about what my commute to my office is right now.

I do live only a couple of miles from a commuter rail though so I could hop on the train and not have to worry about traffic or parking or anything like that.

I would hope that you would include a couple of soups and salads each day. It would certainly fit in well with your sandwich business - and probably bring in more customers also.

Soups and salads would definitely be on the menu. One of my thoughts was to have a soup/salad bar where you could serve yourself and pay by weight. I could also have specialty salads on the regular menu as well.

I know my brother was interested in comfort food type things so grilled cheese with tomato soup would be a natural.

How about a few boxed mixes and premade foods that can be used as gifts?
There's always so many "last minute" shoppers.

Looks like you have a ton of good ideas!

and desserts!! lol... everyone loves a brownie.

GB, I can't wait to hear what you and your brother come up with. I'd love to do something like that around here some day, too!

I'm not sure what I'm having tonight. It needs to be quick and easy, though--Sofie had her first shots today (I know it hurt me more than it hurt her!) and is pretty fussy and DH works late (good timing on his part) so I probably won't have time to cook. I'm thinking either a chef salad or eggs and toast with some fruit.

pdswife said:
Looks like you have a ton of good ideas!

and desserts!! lol... everyone loves a brownie.

homemade pie would be good too. Not very many places sell pies made from scratch any more. Ever read the book "American Pie," by Pascale le Draoulec? The woman who wrote it drove across the country searching for great pies that were made frome scratch. It has recipes in it as well. Take a look here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0060957328/qid=1137692637/sr=2-2/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_2/102-5983982-7336126?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

Good luck GB! Your brother is right about the location. And it sounds like you have a lot of really good ideas, and if not I'm sure everyone at dc will give you their say.:-p

hmm dinner? Don't know. Something easy. I'm making tamales tomorrow and starting them tonight, I also have both the kids which makes it hard enough to get anything done, let alone dinner.:LOL:

PA Baker said:
I'm not sure what I'm having tonight. It needs to be quick and easy, though--Sofie had her first shots today (I know it hurt me more than it hurt her!) and is pretty fussy and DH works late (good timing on his part) so I probably won't have time to cook. I'm thinking either a chef salad or eggs and toast with some fruit.

Yuck! Shots! How many did she have to get? I take Callum in next month to get 4 shots. I remember going through that with Aidan, and I think I got all teary eyed. Poor guy, he let out that one big cry and then I just saw the color rise in his face. Sorry to hear about Sofie, did you give her some tylenol? Some doctors suggest it for the side effects the shots can give.

Sorry everybody! This thread about dinner is being clearly a hijacking thread today!

corazon90 said:
Yuck! Shots! How many did she have to get? I take Callum in next month to get 4 shots. I remember going through that with Aidan, and I think I got all teary eyed. Poor guy, he let out that one big cry and then I just saw the color rise in his face. Sorry to hear about Sofie, did you give her some tylenol? Some doctors suggest it for the side effects the shots can give.

Sorry everybody! This thread about dinner is being clearly a hijacking thread today!

She got 3 shots for 6 different vaccinations. I felt so badly for the little peanut--we'd been waiting for the nurse to come in for so long that she'd just fallen asleep when they came in to stick her. She wailed long and hard while it went on but stopped as soon as they were finished. She's had one dose of tylenol so far and it's helped. She still has a low-grade fever and is fussy but at least she's not screaming!:)

Can you post your recipe for tamales? That's another meal to add to my list of "someday" recipes!

PA Baker said:
She got 3 shots for 6 different vaccinations. I felt so badly for the little peanut--we'd been waiting for the nurse to come in for so long that she'd just fallen asleep when they came in to stick her. She wailed long and hard while it went on but stopped as soon as they were finished. She's had one dose of tylenol so far and it's helped. She still has a low-grade fever and is fussy but at least she's not screaming!:)

Can you post your recipe for tamales? That's another meal to add to my list of "someday" recipes!

Aidan is terrified of the nurse at the doctor's office now. He knows she's the one who gives the shots. He just starts crying as soon as he lays eyes on her, even the nurse gets a little teary eyed.:( When we took Callum in, Aidan almost got upset but he kept telling the nurse "It's Callum's turn. Callum's turn now." He held his brother's hand almost the whole appointment.:)

Tamales- I posted the recipe in the mexican food night thread. I haven't made them yet, so will do an update on them in the next few days.

As far as dinner goes, the neighbor just invited us over. She said something about marinating chicken in orange juice and rice. Sounds good.

GB said:
One of my thoughts was to have a soup/salad bar where you could serve yourself and pay by weight. I could also have specialty salads on the regular menu as well. I know my brother was interested in comfort food type things so grilled cheese with tomato soup would be a natural.

Customers enjoy that, at least I do anyways....I can get up close and see all the delicious things, decide for myself, and how much of each I want.

How bout a delivery boy for just the Prudential building?...once your hooked, your hooked....we had a burrito lady that used to come by the newspaper everyday....she couldn't get there fast enff some mornings, as we all were so hungry for our favorite burritos! Your menu sounds perfect for all those "lunch conference meetings".

Best of Luck to your and your brother. Sounds like a win/win.

Back
Top Bottom