Dinner? 10/23/18

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bethzaring, you are still canning tomato-pizza sauce? We've had 3 frosts, at least, and the last of our fresh tomatoes disappeared last week. Lucky you!

We are having left over venison stroganoff with shells. I have the no meat version. A vegetable tray with multi-colored carrots, broccoli, and green peppers with a boursin-like cheese made from our cream cheese.

Bethzaring, you are still canning tomato-pizza sauce? We've had 3 frosts, at least, and the last of our fresh tomatoes disappeared last week. Lucky you!

We are having left over venison stroganoff with shells. I have the no meat version. A vegetable tray with multi-colored carrots, broccoli, and green peppers with a boursin-like cheese made from our cream cheese.

Yes. What I did when the short growing season came to an end last week and I have 30 something tomato plants, was to blend the tomatoes and other veggies, cook down that day, then froze. I had 12 half gallons of tomato juice/sauce that I am processing. We had 23*F last week.

plus, I have this yet to deal with

Attachments

• DSCN8191.jpg
    DSCN8191.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 146
ha ha ha ha, that's how my kitchen floor looks with buckets of red bell and green bell peppers now. (potatoes, onions) It will be nice to be able to reclaim the floor soon.

Ah-ha! I looked it up -

It's more or less what the Welsh call a bake stone - well, they actually call it a "carreg pobi" if my memory of Welsh from 50 years ago is correct. (I did my teacher training in Bangor, North Wales!)

Ah-ha! I looked it up -

It's more or less what the Welsh call a bake stone - well, they actually call it a "carreg pobi" if my memory of Welsh from 50 years ago is correct. (I did my teacher training in Bangor, North Wales!)
It's not a stone. It's literally a piece of steel that you bake on.

um... Dinner?

Jeannie requested taco bowls..

Finish off the peach cobbler later..

Ross

Attachments

• Taco Bowls.jpg
    Taco Bowls.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 189
No Taco Tuesday here in the middle of the desert.
DH challenged me NOT to buy an food items for one week,
just use what I have on hand, and I ran out shredded cheese, DANG IT!!!

It's been a very busy day for us, up before the Sun and off to two doctor's appointments for him (nothing major, just follow up stuff).
We had a meager breakfast and no lunch so it was an early supper for us.

001.jpg

I scrounged around the `fridge and freezer and came up with some Grilled Greek Style Seasoned Chicken Thigh meat, all diced up, from a previous BBQ.
And a good thing too boy!

It's raining, hailing, blowin', and bangin' and a boomin' this afternoon here,
Flash Floods are in affect.

This Chopped Veg Salad was fabulous with the addition of some Castelvetrano Green Olives and more of my homemade Greek Style Seasoning, as well my homemade Vinaigrette :yum:

Above is DH's bowl; added are Anchovies that I found while on our last road trip to CA/NV. They're from Sicily and he's in LOVE! Now I'm going to have to find them here ... oh thank you WWW, I can order them on line you say :sorcerer:

We had some TJ's Half Baked Idea Mini Ciabatta bread and if this nasty storm keeps up, it'll be some Hot Cocoa and Marshmallows later for dessert.

Holy moly, what wonderful looking and sounding dinners. :yum:

I had a taco salad this afternoon with Tyler after school and before his baseball game at 5. So busy with the grands lately, but I love it. :ermm::LOL:

It's been an age since I did fried chicken but tonight was the night. I buttermilk soaked 4 thighs and shook them with spicy flour mix, letting them rest between shakes on a rack for a total of three times. Fried them up in enough hot oil to get them to a golden brown and finished them on the same resting rack in the oven. Ohh yeah!
Those new OXO silicone roasting racks worked out perfect.
Roasted asparagus and rolls were the sides.

We had tacos. [emoji895] Well, Himself had a soft taco, along with a salad. I made a bigger salad for me and just plopped the barbaco meat down on one part of the salad.IMG_20181023_222335326.jpg

I had my book club meeting last night. The hostess made chili and pumpkin chocolate chip muffins, so I made a fall salad to go with it. Romaine lettuce with chopped apples, dried cherries, pumpkin seeds and goat cheese with a vinaigrette made with apple cider vinegar.

I should ask her for the recipe. I don't usually like chili because it often has an overwhelming amount of chili powder, but hers was just right. I think it could have used a tad bit more heat, though.

Casey would hate it [emoji38] It had kidney beans :ROFLMAO:

I had my book club meeting last night. The hostess made chili and pumpkin chocolate chip muffins, so I made a fall salad to go with it. Romaine lettuce with chopped apples, dried cherries, pumpkin seeds and goat cheese with a vinaigrette made with apple cider vinegar.

I should ask her for the recipe. I don't usually like chili because it often has an overwhelming amount of chili powder, but hers was just right. I think it could have used a tad bit more heat, though.

Casey would hate it [emoji38] It had kidney beans :ROFLMAO:

Actually, I use beans in my chili, but not kidneys. Kidney beans must be a NE thing, because that's what my mom used. She also served chili over boiled potatoes. "I certainly didn't "hate" it. But, given the choice... :)

I use Ranch Style (brand) Beans, which are pinto beans. And prefer chili served over fresh baked crumbled cornbread.

If I am cooking chili for a crowd, I keep it a little on the mild side, and put a variety of hot sauces on the table.

CD

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom