"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 02-16-2015, 08:35 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Roast guinea fowl, roast potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower and chicken gravy.

I placed the bird upside down for a bit, so the underside got crisp and the juices go into the breast.
I've never seen a guinea fowl for sale here. Is it common there and is it about the same size as a chicken? I wonder how it would sit on a beer can.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:57 PM   #12
Master Chef

Dinner was a bowl of popcorn! We had a late lunch at Zaxby's after taking the furbabies to the vet. Wasn't hungry. It was a good thing to eat while watching college basketball.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:32 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I've never seen a guinea fowl for sale here. Is it common there and is it about the same size as a chicken? I wonder how it would sit on a beer can.
I was wondering about that, too. I thought it might be like a chukar here in these parts and about the size of a partridge, but I did a quick search and it looks like a pheasant. Yum.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:08 AM   #14
Wine Guy

Mrs. K is in Costa Rica for work, so I am left home watching the dogs this week. It's not all bad, as I get to eat all of the things that I like and she doesn't. Liver, for instance. I think that will be Wednesday's dinner.

Tonight I had Thai chicken curry with added ghost pepper. It was definitely hot, but not as hot as you might think. The dried variety don't seem quite as toxic, although it still set off a coughing fit when I took the lid off the spice grinder.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:52 AM   #15
Head Chef

Lightbulb

Quote:
Well it seems to be only available in Waitrose (one of the better supermarkets). Yes pretty much same size as a chicken. Beer can? Please explain!
Old 02-17-2015, 10:46 AM   #16
Head Chef

Chicken and Andouille gumbo that Craig made a few nights ago. Andouille was from our last batch using the new meat grinder and stuffer machines.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:35 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Well it seems to be only available in Waitrose (one of the better supermarkets). Yes pretty much same size as a chicken. Beer can? Please explain!
MC asked the same thing on the beer thread here. Here you go, starting at post #12.
Beer vs non-alcoholic beer.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:15 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
MC asked the same thing on the beer thread here. Here you go, starting at post #12.
Beer vs non-alcoholic beer.
Ah I see. I had an image of it perched on a beer can!

I don't drink beer but I understand it has a slightly bitter taste? Guinea fowl tends to have a slight tang, i.e. not as 'sweet' as chicken so am not sure if that is a good marriage with beer or not. It is also somewhat tougher than chicken which I don't mind since it has a good flavour.

(I forgot to say that Sainsburys also stock this bird - do you have Sainsburys in US)?
Old 02-17-2015, 02:29 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Ah I see. I had an image of it perched on a beer can!

I don't drink beer but I understand it has a slightly bitter taste? Guinea fowl tends to have a slight tang, i.e. not as 'sweet' as chicken so am not sure if that is a good marriage with beer or not. It is also somewhat tougher than chicken which I don't mind since it has a good flavour.

(I forgot to say that Sainsburys also stock this bird - do you have Sainsburys in US)?
The image is correct Creative. Watch the video on that thread.

No, I've never heard of Sainsbury's here. If anyone would have, or could get a Guinea hen, it would be Whole Foods where you could blow the whole weekly food budget with half the items needed.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:36 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
The image is correct Creative. Watch the video on that thread.

No, I've never heard of Sainsbury's here. If anyone would have, or could get a Guinea hen, it would be Whole Foods where you could blow the whole weekly food budget with half the items needed.
Ah I see! I had to scroll further down the page for that video. Have you tried chicken with beer? Here steak with ale is now very common in pies, i.e. hard to buy a meat pie without the damn beer!

Tags
dinner