Dinner 2/20 - "Fat Tuesday"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BreezyCooking

Washing Up
Didn't see a thread started for today, so here it is.

I just returned from the market where I managed to snag the last container of shucked "select" oysters. Today is apparently "oyster day" around here in honor of "Fat Tuesday" & Mardi Gras.

So - I'll be frying those luscious fat little guys up & serving them with lots of lemon wedges, hot sauce, & tartar sauce, as well as a nice big green salad with blue cheese vinagarette.:)

I have no idea - we have a computer geek coming over at 4pm to hook up our new wireless router and set up our laptops. I guess I have to wait until he leaves before I cook dinner.....?
My Chinese friend at work gave me a tupperware container full of homemade Chinese dumplings and meatballs, I might have them tonight and maybe a little fried rice on the side.

Hope you enjoy the oysters BreezyCooking. Here in Spain we have "jueves lardero" or lardy Thursday rather than Tuesday. No idea why.

Not sure what I'll have for supper. Just me tonight and I've been working really hard recently so I'm not in the mood for making much effort. Emmenthal omelette and salad sounds about the limit of my capabilities. Just as well I love omelettes!

I have some meaty short ribs marinating in soy,cider vinegar,sliced green onions, tops and bottoms, crushed garlic,ginger, brown sugar,sesame oil, a few red pepper flakes,sesame seeds..will either grill or just bake in the oven in the marinade..White rice along with the ribs, stir fry of veggies, asparagus, snap peas,celery, red onion,and cashews..I have several loaves of pear bread in the oven so that will be dessert if anyone wants something sweet.

kadesma:)

Well, we had a stirfry last night with egg noodles and sweet potato noodles and lots of ginger, and I feel like having that again. But then, I should be having pancakes. I'm waiting for DH, so I'll run it by him and see. It will either be breakfast with pancakes or the stirfry though. :)

Kitchen is closed here due to Mardi Gras. Buck and I will be going to our favorite New Orleans-style restaurant for our annual Mardi Gras dinner.

There'll be lots of good food, live music, crazy costumes, beads and more beads and fun, fun, fun. We go every year and have a blast. We'll come home stuffed and covered in purple, green and gold beads. We're usually among the last to leave it's so much fun. Can't wait!

Shrove Tuesday always means pancakes in our house. I had planned on potato pancakes for dinner but they tend to have an unfortunate effect on some of my family so I may stick with regular pancakes unless I can stop for some Ovol some time today. :rolleyes:

Toots said:
I have no idea - we have a computer geek coming over at 4pm to hook up our new wireless router and set up our laptops. I guess I have to wait until he leaves before I cook dinner.....?
My Chinese friend at work gave me a tupperware container full of homemade Chinese dumplings and meatballs, I might have them tonight and maybe a little fried rice on the side.

Well since you live in KY its not my DH stopping by after he gets off his FT job at the plant......but then again he knows his computers but he's no geek ;)

Forgot my menu...LOL: Tonight its spagetti with homemade meat sauce, salad and garlic bread.

yeah, it`s pancake day here also, although I didn`t find out until this afternoon when I`de already prepared the doings for a nice Chicken curry with basmati rice.

maybe something with Tortilla wraps instead of pancakes tomorrow will be good, sadly the Veggy market wasn`t on today as I`de got the mozzela stuffed mushrooms planned.

Pancakes won out, so we had breakfast for supper! We cheated though because we bought some maple syrrup the other day so we had American style pancakes, whereas we would normally have flat english ones because of the leavened issue, but, hey, who needs an excuse for maple syrup!

Tilapia with a parmesan crust and leftover pasta with steamed veggies. I'd love pancakes for dinner but DH has a thing about breakfast any other time of day other than morning!:rolleyes:

lulu said:
Pancakes won out, so we had breakfast for supper! We cheated though because we bought some maple syrrup the other day so we had American style pancakes, whereas we would normally have flat english ones because of the leavened issue, but, hey, who needs an excuse for maple syrup!

Don't need to worry about the leavening thing til tomorrow lulu. (Unless you have a different leavening issue I missed.) Today is all about the feast!

I just got home from Costco and I bought 2 of their great cooked chickens. I also bought a lot of other things but since there is just me and Jolie I have to watch it because the quantities are very large.

Tonight is chicken night and I bought a couple of their delicious chocolate chip cookies and also some wine.

Iam making Jalapeno- n- chedder smoked sausage on the grill, (little warmer out), fries, cole slaw and the usual olives and pickles. Pacski's for dessert !!!

sitting in hotel room and dinner for me will be turkey, lettuce simple salad with tomates and many cups of hot tea whilest I study:wacko:
sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh, there's SNOW everywhere @ IAD

Hey shpjR - before I received my infamous Ron Popeil Rotisserie, CostCo rotisserie chickens were the way to go.

In fact, two surveys done by The Washington Post & The New York Times food sections gave Costco rotisserie chickens two thumbs up!!

These days, however, I can spend $2-$3 for a chicken, flavor it & stick it on my own rotisserie. And as good old Ron Popeil loves to say "set it & forget it" - LOL!!!!

Last night of cooking in my kitchen as I know, Demolition Day starts tomorrow - dinner will be my family's favorite - medallions of pork tenderloin sauteed with baby carrots and mushrooms in a white wine and creamy herb sauce served over pasta. Microwave and crock pot dinners from here on out......

.....and the condemned family of MM ate their last real meal in who knows how long..........

j/k, MM! Be patient. You are a good cook and will come up with good stuff to feed everyone in spite of no oven.

Gee, those fried oysters sound good, Breezy. We may do that tomorrow night.

Tonight we're having re-runs of Kim's gourmet meal the other night...poached salmon and asparagus with Dill Sauce, and baked Yukon Gold potatoes.

Back
Top Bottom