Dinner - 3/17??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you are lucky enough to be Irish, you are lucky enough.

I made and we ate PPO’s Lamb and Guinness Stew for dinner. Some dishes inherently suggest and some dishes Require 2 days to make. This is both. It was very tasty and I ‘m about to add a review on the original thread.

Thank you! I am glad that you liked the dish.

This time I made a couple toasted cheese sandwiches to go with my big bowl of soup :mrgreen:

Thanks for posting that link, taxy.
You're very welcome. I was inspired by a recipe I googled for your steak Oscar. The recipe I found had a tarragon Hollandaise, so tarragon, Bearnaise (Hollandaise's more dolled up sister). Basically Pac, it's your fault. ;)

Since I'm Irish, and corned beef isn't, I made more traditional Irish fare.

Corned beef isn't Irish? I was raised by a Boston Irish mom and never knew that, lol.

Late dinner tonight...waiting to see how my homemade (Michael Ruhlman's recipe) corned beef turned out. Potatoes and carrots are in the pot, and cabbage will be in a few minutes. Soda bread muffins in the oven.

I went out to the freezer last night to retrieve the corned beef that I thought was there, no corned beef to be seen :(
Found a container of leftover Jambalaya
Thawed it and doctored it up for dinner tonight. I stopped at the grocery store on my way home from work and picked up a corned beef for tomorrow night :)

A couple of Mexican friends posted a pic of themselves in leprechaun hats and green t-shirts stating they were "0% Irish" :LOL:

So in honor of that, I made chicken breasts in the CP with taco seasoning, various tomato products, onions, and some peppers I spelunked from the freezer that I'd labeled "hot peppers". After it cooked, I tasted the sauce and it blew the top of my head off. Quickly removed the chicken from the sauce. Mixed the sauce with equal amounts of V8 juice. It all actually turned out pretty good.

Last edited:
You're very welcome. I was inspired by a recipe I googled for your steak Oscar. The recipe I found had a tarragon Hollandaise, so tarragon, Bearnaise (Hollandaise's more dolled up sister). Basically Pac, it's your fault. ;)
I made a tarragon sauce to accompany my version of steak Oscar (made with poached halibut instead of shrimp) the other night--it reminded me of the sauce served with the steaks I ate when I was in Stockholm.

This is the first year in many that I haven't made a corned beef dinner with all the trimmin's. I was going to, but decided there are just too many leftovers for one person to finish up, so I had a fried egg sandwich and called it good. :)

Corned beef isn't Irish? I was raised by a Boston Irish mom and never knew that, lol.

No, it isn't. However, boiled corned beef and cabbage is very Boston.

It's called New England Boiled Dinner. They never heard of it in Ireland until the Americans invented it. Kinda like chop suey, American goulash, spaghetti & meatballs. In England they have Chicken Tikka Masala and pretend it's Indian.

Typical Irish foods include lots of pork, lots of seafood, root vegetables like potatoes, rutabagas, parsnips, carrots. Apples are the most common fruit.

Last edited:
No, it isn't. However, boiled corned beef and cabbage is very Boston.

It's called New England Boiled Dinner. They never heard of it in Ireland until the Americans invented it. Kinda like chop suey, American goulash, spaghetti & meatballs. In England they have Chicken Tikka Masala and pretend it's Indian.

Typical Irish foods include lots of pork, lots of seafood, root vegetables like potatoes, rutabagas, parsnips, carrots. Apples are the most common fruit.

:LOL: George Takei also posted a link that refuted a bunch of stuff we all assumed were Irish, including corned beef and cabbage.

Last edited:
We went out since we didn't feel like it last night.

I had a seafood salad with salmon and prawns. TB had salmon with Thai sweet chili sauce. Both were delicious!

Back
Top Bottom