Dinner - 3/17??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We ate a Lupper at China Buffet, not sure we will be ready for dinner tonight. But I do have a corned beef in the fridge.

Chicken noodle soup again.
Probably followed up with a sandwich three hours later because I am still hungry... again.

Corned beef, cabbage, carrots and potato's.....all dumped into the crockpot (leaving cabbage for the last hour) and dumping 2 Guinness Stout's over the top.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 168
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 156
Corned beef with potato, Brussels sprouts, carrots and onions.

I have to say this was one of our best corned beef dinners. I have been trying different brands of corned beef. I've tried several and finally found a really delicious one - Old Neighborhood brand. I suspect this is a regional brand. I got it at Costco. No I have to go back and get a few more for the freezer.

I hope yours was as good.

I have to say this was one of our best corned beef dinners. I have been trying different brands of corned beef. I've tried several and finally found a really delicious one - Old Neighborhood brand. I suspect this is a regional brand. I got it at Costco. No I have to go back and get a few more for the freezer.

I hope yours was as good.

The one we picked up at Costco today was Shenson's brand. I suspect you are correct!

I made the supper I had planned for yesterday, but didn't feel like cooking yesterday due to headache.

It was ribeye steaks with cheater Bearnaise (Friday Grilling: Easy Bearnaise Sauce | Michael Ruhlman), baked potatoes, and a salad with homemade vinaigrette. That was really, really good. I managed to cook Stirling's steak well done and mine rare. I seared them both, put mine on my plate, and turned the heat down. When Stirling's steak was nearly done, I tossed mine back on the pan to heat it. I will be using this method in the future. The bearnaise worked well. Stirling doesn't care much for steak, he calls it slab-o-beef, but he really liked it with the bearnaise.

At some time in the future when I am feeling more energetic, I will make the wine, wine vinegar, shallot, tarragon reduction and use that instead of the lemon juice. In fact, one could make up a big batch of that reduction and freeze it in small portions. I often see Danish recipes that include bearnaise and they always have an ingredient called "bearnaise essence", which I think is something you buy in a Danish supermarket. I think that reduction is probably the same thing, minus the yucky chemicals.

As one who likes to honor traditions whether they are mine or not, I made corned beef with potatoes, lots of carrots, and savoy cabbage since that is one that's been in my fridge (bought it for something and then couldn't find the recipe..:ermm: ). Bought a loaf of caraway rye bread to go-with. I love soaking up the pot juices with the bread. Heck, I could make supper out of just juice and bread! Himself showed me an Alton Brown quick vid of him making an almost corned beef and cabbage soup that he ate from a bowl. It looked like he had trimmed most of the fat cap off, so that's what I did. My juices are usually more on the fatty side than I prefer.

Chicken noodle soup again.
Probably followed up with a sandwich three hours later because I am still hungry... again.
That's 'cuz you're a growing boy. :stuart: not saying which way you're growing though...running like the wind...

Since I'm Irish, and corned beef isn't, I made more traditional Irish fare.

Homemade bangers - colcannon - whiskeyed applesauce - soda bread.

If you are lucky enough to be Irish, you are lucky enough.

I made and we ate PPO’s Lamb and Guinness Stew for dinner. Some dishes inherently suggest and some dishes Require 2 days to make. This is both. It was very tasty and I ‘m about to add a review on the original thread.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f51/lamb-and-guinness-stew-89123.html

I also made savory scones ( cheddar, garlic powder, parsley and snipped scallions.) I would say these are not much different than buttermilk biscuits, except after patting the dough in a circle , I sliced triangles on a baking sheet. Pfft. Dx Likes Scones. She almost never has more than a nibble of the biscuits I make. I make’ em anyway because I like. Shrug, she doesn’t eat that much bread stuff anyway. Here today, she says she likes ‘em. More scone days ahead.

We each made our own dessert plates. Fresh sliced strawberries, small slices angel food cake and generous dollops whip cream on top for dessert.

And as far as the luck of the Irish goes, this is a decadent and actually very easy dinner to prepare.

That's 'cuz you're a growing boy. :stuart: not saying which way you're growing though...running like the wind...

This time I made a couple toasted cheese sandwiches to go with my big bowl of soup :mrgreen:

Thanks for posting that link, taxy.

I was a rebel today and went with a white bean, fresh chicken "andouille" sausage and fire roasted tomato stew.

Back
Top Bottom