"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2019, 07:39 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Your spice shop intrigues me, Kay, I'll have to more thoroughly peruse it!
I love My Spice Sage. They also give a free 1 oz. bag of spice (of your choice from a list) to try with each order. Usually free shipping.

msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:15 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
I love My Spice Sage. They also give a free 1 oz. bag of spice (of your choice from a list) to try with each order. Usually free shipping.

MsM, do you have the Soy Sauce Powder? It sure worked out well on the crispy skin thighs as a liquid would have hindered the crispness. I liked the combo with Singapore Seasoning. The powdered lemon juice was the freebie from my order. They have many unusual products and I've always been more than pleased with the company. Can't beat that free shipping on small orders.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:31 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cooking View Post
Simple and looks delicious

Finally time to put up my faux (electric) grill and this may well be the first recipe for this spring..

Ross
If you're interested, here's the rest of the menu we made.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:04 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
MsM, do you have the Soy Sauce Powder? It sure worked out well on the crispy skin thighs as a liquid would have hindered the crispness. I liked the combo with Singapore Seasoning. The powdered lemon juice was the freebie from my order. They have many unusual products and I've always been more than pleased with the company. Can't beat that free shipping on small orders.
No, I don't have the soy powder or the Singapore. I'll have to try those out. I do have white vinegar powder and apple cider vinegar powder. Which I add to my house blend of seasoning.
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:26 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
I've got the oven heating up for this recipe:
https://www.mccormick.com/gourmet/re...es-de-provence
I've made this once before with the pre-packaged stuff,
but found Herb de Provence in the bulk bins at Sprouts, YAY!!!
pix later …
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01030.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	34082

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
GG, that recipe for the Kalua Pig looks okay, but may I humbly suggest more Salt as well as Liquid Smoke?
This Oven-style is widely used in Hawaii:
https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedes...13/06/05/1136/

Quote:
I knew that would get your attention

Here's the recipe I used. No idea how authentic it is, but it was very flavorful. Oh, I did add a splash of Worcestershire sauce because it seemed to need a little more umami and salt: https://therecipecritic.com/grilled-huli-huli-chicken/
And this ^ recipe sounds pretty much on the money.
I cheat and buy the bottled stuff from Hawaii:
https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedes...er-rotisserie/

In fact, I'm out of my bottled Huli Sauce, but I do have all of the ingredients in that recipe, you just may need to give that a whirl to see how it tastes
Old 03-19-2019, 01:32 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Thank you, GG.. All look good and I can say that the salsa really has my interest..

Ross
Old 03-19-2019, 05:37 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

GG, I'd agree with Kgirl that recipe for Kalua Pork needs at least 2-3Tbs of liquid smoke, and more salt too. I stab the meat all over and always wear plastic gloves to rub in the salt and liquid smoke into the meat. Learned that the hard way when my hands smelled of smoke for days.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:18 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
GG, I'd agree with Kgirl that recipe for Kalua Pork needs at least 2-3Tbs of liquid smoke, and more salt too. I stab the meat all over and always wear plastic gloves to rub in the salt and liquid smoke into the meat. Learned that the hard way when my hands smelled of smoke for days.
That's a good idea K-L, I'll try that next time... I just made a big-ole-batch (6-7 pounds) of Kalua Pig not too long ago. I like to find Pork Butts that have a huge fat cap to it for a juicier end product I like the pork much better from the Asian Markets, but now we don't have one, so I gets what I get
Old 03-19-2019, 10:27 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
GG, that recipe for the Kalua Pig looks okay, but may I humbly suggest more Salt as well as Liquid Smoke?
This Oven-style is widely used in Hawaii:
https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedes...13/06/05/1136/

And this ^ recipe sounds pretty much on the money.
I cheat and buy the bottled stuff from Hawaii:
https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedes...er-rotisserie/

In fact, I'm out of my bottled Huli Sauce, but I do have all of the ingredients in that recipe, you just may need to give that a whirl to see how it tastes
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions, ladies. We will definitely be making this over the summer in our smoker, so I imagine we won't need to add the liquid smoke.

K'girl, what kind of wood do you use in Hawaii for the smoke flavor? Or, if we wrap it in banana leaves, would the wood flavor matter as much?

I can look in the grocery store I mentioned before for the Nho marinade, but it was really easy to whip up myself.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:03 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions, ladies. We will definitely be making this over the summer in our smoker, so I imagine we won't need to add the liquid smoke.

K'girl, what kind of wood do you use in Hawaii for the smoke flavor? Or, if we wrap it in banana leaves, would the wood flavor matter as much?

I can look in the grocery store I mentioned before for the Nho marinade, but it was really easy to whip up myself.
GG, for the Kalua Pig, if it were going in the Imu (underground oven) the Pork would be wrapped in Ti Leaves (you only use the green Ti leaves, never any other color) and then topped with Banana Leaves (**note to self-buy more Banana Leaves!!). In my blog post I have photos as to how I prepare the pork, the Banana Leaves I buy frozen at the Asian Market.
Here, I can only get the Banana Leaves, so I use only that and tin foil to wrap it all up in.

The type of wood that is used in Hawaii is called Kiawe, it's very similar to Mesquite, which is abundant here in the middle of the desert, so I use that in my smoker box on the gas grill.
But to be honest, I've not done the Kalua Pig on the grill, just the Huli Chicken.

If I were going to make the Kalua Pork in a smoker, I would still follow the Oven-Style of prep and use Mesquite chunks... this sounds amazing btw, when's dinner???

Tags
dinner