Dinner 3-18-2019 ~ Monday, Monday...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
Today is a Cook's Day Off at Chez Goddess, seeing as how I did a lot of cooking over the weekend. No leftovers tonight, though - just some nice, warming Smoky Black Bean and Ham soup. Needed to use up a bag of black beans from my mini-grocery store in the basement and the hambone before it spoiled. Gotta get pots of soup in before the weather gets too warm.

What's cooking at your place?

The plan was to have store bought, stuffed pasta and a salad. Then the power went out and Hydro Québec said it was expected to be back by 18:15, too late to start cooking. So, we decided to order out. About three quarters of an hour later, the power came back and stayed on. Second supper plan change. Just the stuffed pasta with a no-tomato sauce, no salad. I made a sauce with EVOO, garlic, anchovies, pepper flakes, white wine, cream, parsley, and cold butter. That was my second try at that sauce and, oh my goodness, was that ever good.

Last edited:
Meatless Monday. DD requested a replay of tuna casserole. So dinner was tuna casserole (topped with toasted buttery panko crumbs), steamed asparagus and cornbread.

tuna_casserole_031819_IMG_5519.jpg

We had spanikopita filling and tzatziki left from the other night so I decided to make stuffed chicken breasts with roasted Greek potatoes and sauteed spinach.

Attachments

• 2019-03-18 19.58.00.jpg
    2019-03-18 19.58.00.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 111
I got my order from "My Spice Sage" today...Lemon juice powder, Singapore Seasoning, and Soy Sauce Powder. I really like that spice company. https://www.myspicesage.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_r756JWN4QIVkSCtBh2YBw0IEAAYASAAEgIYqfD_BwE

I used the Singapore Seasoning and the Soy Sauce powder to season my bone in, skin on thighs, browning them well in a skillet and finishing in 400 degree convection oven to crispy perfection. :yum:

We had Mexican street corn (Elotes) and salads on the side.

Last edited:
I got my order from "My Spice Sage" today...Lemon juice powder, Singapore Seasoning, and Soy Sauce Powder. I really like that spice company. https://www.myspicesage.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_r756JWN4QIVkSCtBh2YBw0IEAAYASAAEgIYqfD_BwE

I used the Singapore Seasoning and the Soy Sauce powder to season my bone in, skin on thighs, browning them well in a skillet and finishing in 400 degree convection oven to crispy perfection. :yum:

We had Mexican street corn (Elotes) and salads on the side.

Your spice shop intrigues me, Kay, I'll have to more thoroughly peruse it! :)

I planned and helped provide dinner for our master gardener class tonight. It was a tropical theme, so I made Huli Huli Chicken and Macadamia-Nut White-Chocolate Cookies. Other dishes people brought were Kalua Pork with Pineapple-Mango Salsa, Coconut-Lime Rice, Tropical Fruit Salad and a variety of desserts.

It was great fun and I have enough extra chicken marinade to make it for us tomorrow. DH grilled the chicken for me this afternoon and only got a small taste because it was all eaten up :chef:

Someone even brought a jackfruit! :ohmy: I was called to the kitchen and asked what to do with it. We had to look it up online because none of us had any experience with it. It turned out to be slightly under-ripe but still good.
0318191823.jpg

GG, be glad somebody didn't bring a durian! lol

The jackfruit is one of the few things I have not gotten, in all of those things I have tried from the Asian markets. It's becoming much more popular now, and even showing up in that produce market sort of nearby, that has a lot of Asian food in it. They have looked a little small, so probably under-ripe, as you noted, while the ones in the Asian markets have been huge, and cut up.

Last edited:
Pepperhead, I would not have known it was under-ripe except that one of the master gardeners is an immigrant from India and she told me. She was very excited - she said she had not had one in over 50 years, since she was a child in India and they had a tree in their yard. I read they can grow to be 80 pounds!

GG, I was just guessing that the ones that were small were a little under-ripe, due to the sizes of them at the other markets. I figured that the Indians must use them, too (that's the Asian population that is found the most around that produce market), though the SE Asian markets are the ones that have large amounts of them, cut up. One of the workers said that the largest they have seen here just over 60 lbs, but they have them a lot bigger "back home"!

I planned and helped provide dinner for our master gardener class tonight. It was a tropical theme, so I made Huli Huli Chicken and Macadamia-Nut White-Chocolate Cookies. Other dishes people brought were Kalua Pork with Pineapple-Mango Salsa, Coconut-Lime Rice, Tropical Fruit Salad and a variety of desserts.

It was great fun and I have enough extra chicken marinade to make it for us tomorrow. DH grilled the chicken for me this afternoon and only got a small taste because it was all eaten up :chef:

Someone even brought a jackfruit! :ohmy: I was called to the kitchen and asked what to do with it. We had to look it up online because none of us had any experience with it. It turned out to be slightly under-ripe but still good.
View attachment 34077

WHAT?!

GG, I need to know how you made your Huli?
Being born and raised in Hawaii, there are many ways to make it
and seeing as you are in Virginia, how did you create yours.

As to the Ulu, I'm just not a fan so you can have my share.

WHAT?!

GG, I need to know how you made your Huli?
Being born and raised in Hawaii, there are many ways to make it
and seeing as you are in Virginia, how did you create yours.

As to the Ulu, I'm just not a fan so you can have my share.
I knew that would get your attention ;)

Here's the recipe I used. No idea how authentic it is, but it was very flavorful. Oh, I did add a splash of Worcestershire sauce because it seemed to need a little more umami and salt: https://therecipecritic.com/grilled-huli-huli-chicken/

I knew that would get your attention ;)

Here's the recipe I used. No idea how authentic it is, but it was very flavorful. Oh, I did add a splash of Worcestershire sauce because it seemed to need a little more umami and salt: https://therecipecritic.com/grilled-huli-huli-chicken/

Simple and looks delicious :yum:

Finally time to put up my faux (electric) grill and this may well be the first recipe for this spring..

Ross

Back
Top Bottom