Dinner 3-27-2017 ~ Is your Monday meatless?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm having an Angus beef rib eye steak cooked via my Sous Vide, 1 hour at 120 degrees then a quick sear. I got the steak 50% off as a last day special.

Baked potato with that, maybe some Alfredo sauce on top, and Lima beans to fill out the balance of the meal.

Just plain old 'Merican cooking.

I cook my steaks sous vide and seared, too. I sous vide mine at 135, for medium rare, and either use a scorching hot cast iron pan or a charcoal chimney with a grate on top to very quickly put a nice char on my steak.

CD

Alfredo sauce is Italian in origin...
Is it some sort of offense to Italian cuisine to serve Alfredo sauce over a baked potato? I don't understand...

I cut my teeth on Julia Child's French mother sauces. I'm under the impression that any chef can create their own recipes and use any of the mother sauces that the chef deems good.

In fact I enjoyed my potato, although I wish I had scooped most of the starch and tossed it in the garbage. It ended there anyway but all my sauce would have been focused on the smaller amount of starch + skin.

I cut the potato in half before serving. One day soon I'll have twice baked potatoes! :eek:)

Last edited:
Greg, I think Andy was poking at you for (check out the bold words):

Greg said
Baked potato with that, maybe some Alfredo sauce on top, and Lima beans to fill out the balance of the meal.

Just plain old 'Merican cooking

Alfredo isn't "American" cooking, even if it's cooked by an American. ;)

Okay. I'm going through bad times in my life. I might be insensitive to friendly humor.

My Alfredo comes from Von's or Kroger's. To me it's just quick cheese sauce when I'm too lazy to look up recipes or too lazy to do the work to follow traditional recipes.

To be honest I don't see how Alfredo from a bottle (and generic store brand at that) can be anything but one step from fast food. If even that.

Technically Alfredo sauce is not American cuisine, but I submit that any junk product like a generic store sauce can't be called any kind of cuisine.

How many of the nuke 'n puke dinners we buy could be called the cuisine they seek to imitate. To me they are merely the means to get rid of my hunger enough that I can go to sleep not on an empty stomach. This is not cuisine. This is artificial food.

We might as well call it Soylent Green.

Hey, does anybody have a good gokh recipe? Or however you spell the Klingon delicacy?

What do you call a "cuisine" that comes out of the output hopper of a factory machine and spits into bottles or nuke 'n puke containers? That isn't food! It's an excuse to not go to bed hungry.

Last edited:
Just wondering, why would today be meatless? Is there some religious observation I'm not aware of.

I can't recall my last meatless day, unless you define fish as not meat. I have some form of beef, pork, lamb, fish or other animal serving every dinner, and can't recall the last time I didn't eat some poor animal for dinner.

I'm not fond enough of cheese to have a cheese dinner that wasn't cheese served over or with some kind of meat or fish. I'm including mollusks with fish. :eek:)

Sunshine Trout ; Rice cooked in OJ....

img_1504717_0_8093e538cc184a610aaa1d90ac69190a.jpg

Looks great, Joey! :yum:

Hey, does anybody have a good gokh recipe? Or however you spell the Klingon delicacy?

It's spelled gagh, pronounced "gawk" and here's an Americanized recipe for it:

Klingon Gagh

4 – 4.5 cups of Water
1 – 1.5 cups Dried Shitake Mushrooms
1 cup Dried Seaweed or Kombu
4 tbsp Agar Flakes
2 tbsp Tamari or Dark Soy Sauce
1 tbsp Tomato Paste
1 Star Anise Pod
8-10 Whole Peppercorns
Half a Stick of Cinnamon

In a saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the water, mushrooms, seaweed, tomato paste, star anise, cinnamon, and peppercorns to a boil. Turn the heat down to low, and allow it to cook at a high simmer for about a half hour.

Using a fine mesh seive, strain the liquid out into a bowl. Remove any particulate matter from the saucepan. Measure out a scant two cups of the broth (you may actually need to add a little bit of water to get it to that level), and return it to the saucepan along with the tamari and the agar. Cook over low-medium heat for a minute or two until the agar disolves and the liquid starts to thicken.

As soon as the broth thickens, remove it from the heat. fill a pint mason jar or a tall, straight-sided drinking glass with the liquid. And then, into the liquid, insert as many drinking straws as will fit. For the best results, you’ll want to insert the drinking straws bendy-side down. And you’ll want to extend the accordion bits to achieve the wormiest ridges.

When it has cooled just a little bit, move the glass of liquid and straws into the refrigerator, and allow it to chill for 4-6 hours, or overnight. You’ll know it’s done when the liquid has solidified.

Once the broth is solid, to make the Klingon gagh, remove the straws from the jar and, using your fingers, a rolling pin, or the side of a fork, push the worms out of the straws and into a bowl.

The gagh can be eaten alone, but it is best served, I think, on a bed of Japanese-style seaweed salad, drizzled with sesame oil and sprinkled with a few sesame seeds.

The real gagh is made of serpent worms:

Star Trek Gagh

and if you want more Klingon recipes, you might be able to find soemthing you like here:

K'Tesh's Klingon Recipe Pages...The Recipes of Star Trek

If you're planning to visit Klinzhai, here are a few useful expressions:

"nuqDaq 'oH Qe' QaQe'e'?" Where is a good restaurant?

"nuqDaq yuch Dapol?" Where do you keep the chocolate?

OK, now that we have that taken care of, I made some oyster sauce beef over rice tonight.

Last edited:
More than an "internet thing", Steve. Some restaurants nationwide participate, food service in schools do too. However, you can't participate because you don't eat carbs. For you it might end up being Foodless Monday! :(

Just wondering, why would today be meatless? Is there some religious observation I'm not aware of.

I can't recall my last meatless day, unless you define fish as not meat. I have some form of beef, pork, lamb, fish or other animal serving every dinner, and can't recall the last time I didn't eat some poor animal for dinner....
As a Catholic, we eat no meat on Fridays in Lent. No biggie, since we enjoy seafoods and such and I end up cooking them around once a week. I also try, and mostly fail, at skipping meat meals once a week, not necessarily Mondays. I'm not all into "the greenhouse effect and man is killing the planet" thinking, but it doesn't hurt to skip meat once a week when you realize how much water is used to produce it. After all, CA has gone through a drought for, what, seven years? You all could use a little water saving. ;) Think of it: To produce a pound of beef takes the equivalent of 370 minutes of shower time, whereas a pound of pasta needs only 44 minutes of shower time. My favorite, though, is 8 ounces of beer - only 4 minutes! Six servings of grains daily for everyone! :LOL:

If you want to see the chart which lists 15 different foods, you can find it here: A Handy Chart that Compares Shower Minutes to the Water it Takes to Grow Our Favorite Foods

Kroger has Hormel Pork tenderloins on sale BOGO. these are really good. I did the Teriyaki one tonight, with some stuffed Portabella caps and grilled squash.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom