"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2017, 02:42 PM   #1
Master Chef

Dinner 4-17-2017 ~ Monday, Monday...

This is not a good dinner day. It's not like I can't think of something to make, it's that I can't decide between three completely different choices. Hopefully something clicks for me while I read about everyone else's plans. First up is pulled chicken sandwiches with coleslaw and baked beans. All I need to do for that is make the coleslaw. Next would be an omelet using up one of my leeks and some rapidly aging mushrooms. Last is what I kinda have a taste for - cheesy ham and potato casserole with a nice tosses salad. It will be the most work, though, and I'm kinda? lazy today!

What are YOU planning? I may end up getting so inspired I'll completely flip my script and copy someone else.

Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:04 PM   #2
Executive Chef

so good to me.....

Planning on BLT's. But DH has an appointment at 4:00 with a cardiologist so don't know what we will feel like after that!

Old 04-17-2017, 03:11 PM   #3
Senior Cook

leftovers... its kind of a blah humbug day... but....there's pudding for dessert...
Old 04-17-2017, 03:20 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

We're having leftovers from yesterday. Grilled pork kebabs with hoisin and five spice powder, pilaf and a veggie.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:27 PM   #5
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
It's another gorgeous day here so I'm planning on grilling some b/s Chicken Thighs and fresh zucchini, sweet bell peppers and onions... maybe even roast some yukon gold potatoes, not sure on that at this minute, I may leave out the starch component.
And for dessert, carrot cake... we still half of that huge cake, even after sharing with the next door neighbors, I forgot to send some home with Mr&Mrs DF yesterday
Old 04-17-2017, 04:38 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

We're having leftovers, too. I thought about grilling some lamb chops DH bought the other day, but I also have to get a dish ready for tomorrow's master gardener class mid-morning snack. So, smoked ribs, cole slaw and baked beans. I'm using the rest of the pineapple for tomorrow's snack (pineapple, grape and mozzarella cheese skewers with minted vanilla-lime yogurt for dipping.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:16 PM   #7
Master Chef

Most likely a couple of Dodger Dogs and some bier. Yep, we're going to the game tonight.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:21 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Catch of the day yesterday was Crappie. I never had it but being adventurous it became dinner tonight: Baked Lemon Garlic Crappie
Old 04-17-2017, 06:42 PM   #9
Head Chef

Last of the warm days for the next week, so summertime dinner it is. Not to mention that I'm a little tired from two days of ripping out overgrown ivy and grass in the front of the house. Burgers on the grill, oven fries, cole slaw.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:18 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I'm in an uncharacteristically good cooking mood, thawed some shrimp yesterday so I decided to have shrimp panang curry.

No real recipe, sauteed the shrimp and pushed to edge of wok, mixed some coconut cream (Savoy brand - Thailand) and stirred in Mae Ploy (good Thai brand!) panang paste, crab sauce, shrimp sauce, sriracha sauce (sub for the Thai chilis), fish sauce (Cock brand - Thailand), and jasmine (yes, from Thailand).

I have it all simmering, ready to pull off the rice when it's done, monitoring fluid level in covered wok... Will adjust various ingredients before serving.

Note that I've found (by reading one jasmine rice directions) the best way to cook jasmine rice: 1 measure rice, 1-3/4 measures water, bring to boil, cook over low heat (don't peek) for 17 minutes, let stand for 3-5 minutes.

Point: When cooking Thai food I make as much use of Thai ingredients as possible. YMMV but it works well for me to stick to products made in Thailand when cooking Thai food. All the ingredients I used tonight came from Thailand except the shrimp and the water. Okay I couldn't determine country of origin for the srirachi sauce (packed in Lost Angeles).

Tags
dinner