Dinner? 4-18-2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
I keep intending to start this thread earlier in the day, but life gets in the way! :LOL:

Dinner this afternoon was an artichoke, and a salad of watermelon, kiwifruit, and cherries from the farmer's market. I have artichokes so often this time of year, so have learned to love the leaves just plain, and save the melted butter for the hearts. :yum: Otherwise, that would be an insane amount of butter in a week's time. :ohmy:

What's on everyone's menu for today? :chef:

I had last night's leftover for lunch, which wa a pretty big meal. For dinner I had a few pieces of bacon from the belly I smoked today.

Last edited:
The corner store has very fresh seafood for a three-store chain, and they did not disappoint today. I got about a pound of scallops and seared them in a tiny touch of butter with Penzeys Greek Seasoning, seared discs of zucchini with a light sprinkle of black truffle salt and fresh-ground tri-color pepper corns, Carolina long grain and wild rice mix, and asparagus with a sprinkle of fresh grated parm cheese. I surprise myself sometimes - I did full grocery shopping today AND cooked! :LOL:

Attachments

• 2014-04-18 21.15.07.jpg
    2014-04-18 21.15.07.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 177
Those scallops do look tasty!

We had company so I put out a bit of a spread. I picked up some fresh flatbread today and served it with an assortment of foods. I made sauteed chicken with onion, paprika and black pepper, crumbled soujek sausage, quinoa pilaf, and a salad of mixed greens, apple and celery dressed with fresh citrus juices, herbs and evoo. I also put out soft feta (first time trying it and I loved it!) and dried cranberries.

It was an experiment combining some of these flavors but everyone seemed to enjoy it all! I'm glad I know people who don't mind being my Guinea pigs!

Last edited:
I was in the process of test driving the chicken jalfrezi recipe (the chef did not specify breast or thigh meat so I had to complicate things and prep both--breast and thigh meat x 2). Also, the chef does not marinate (dry rub) the chicken before cooking, so one of each is sitting in the fridge overnight.

(http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f164/blue-apron-meals-89546.html#post1357381)

I planned to only let the chicken sit for 2 hours, but a friend called and invited me over for dinner...how could I say no? (She happened to be roasting a chicken!) And, I can't just cook, I have to make notes as I go and am snapping photos, too. My friend called right when I realized I had to recharge the batteries, so perfect timing on her part, poor planning on mine. Tomorrow I'll finish test driving the recipe. While researching this dish, I did come across more that (a) marinated the meat first, (b) used more spices, and (c) added tomato than not. The chef's recipe does not, so I'm making it to the letter, and then making some changes to see which version is more appealing. I have to get the dishes done tomorrow, I have two friends coming to pick up "CWS' Indian takeout" in the late afternoon (two different colored containers--blind taste test). I am even making Naan bread and have to decide if it will be spinach or cucumber raita. The rice is cumin brown basmati.

I was in the process of test driving the chicken jalfrezi recipe (the chef did not specify breast or thigh meat so I had to complicate things and prep both--breast and thigh meat x 2). Also, the chef does not marinate (dry rub) the chicken before cooking, so one of each is sitting in the fridge overnight.

(http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f164/blue-apron-meals-89546.html#post1357381)

I planned to only let the chicken sit for 2 hours, but a friend called and invited me over for dinner...how could I say no? (She happened to be roasting a chicken!) And, I can't just cook, I have to make notes as I go and am snapping photos, too. My friend called right when I realized I had to recharge the batteries, so perfect timing on her part, poor planning on mine. Tomorrow I'll finish test driving the recipe. While researching this dish, I did come across more that (a) marinated the meat first, (b) used more spices, and (c) added tomato than not. The chef's recipe does not, so I'm making it to the letter, and then making some changes to see which version is more appealing. I have to get the dishes done tomorrow, I have two friends coming to pick up "CWS' Indian takeout" in the late afternoon (two different colored containers--blind taste test). I am even making Naan bread and have to decide if it will be spinach or cucumber raita. The rice is cumin brown basmati.

So... roast chicken for dinner tonight.

Back
Top Bottom