Dinner 5-12-2019 ~ Mom's Day Meal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
We've gone out on Mother's Day ONCE. Never again! I'd much rather cook at home and then celebrate me when there are no crowds...or up-priced menu items. ;)

I'm about to sear some lovely wild caught scallops. They'll be accompanied by lightly steamed asparagus, and Carolina Rice long grain and white rice blend. No need to work hard on this day. :cool: I might whip up a one layer triple chocolate cake if I get ambitious. It's so easy of a cake even Himself could make it, if he were so inclined. He isn't. :LOL:

What are you eating today?

I made one of Mrs. T's faves, chicken tenders in a lemony wine sauce, served over orzo, asparagus on the side.

I've seen the ads for Mother's Day brunch, and said WOT! Waaayy more expensive than a good dinner out. Going out for Mother's Day brunch is about as bad an idea as going out for Valentine's Day dinner.

I made one of Mrs. T's faves, chicken tenders in a lemony wine sauce, served over orzo, asparagus on the side.

I've seen the ads for Mother's Day brunch, and said WOT! Waaayy more expensive than a good dinner out. Going out for Mother's Day brunch is about as bad an idea as going out for Valentine's Day dinner.
You are absolutely right!

SO's daughter and granddaughter are here to celebrate Mother's Day. At their request I made Tuscan Butter Chicken which I served over rice with a side of broccoli. NY style cheesecake with blueberry topping.

Our dinner.
IMG_20190512_210105411_HDR.jpg

I cooked a pork loin for mom sous vide and seared. Dad steamed some asparagus (seems to be a trend today), and sister bought some potato salad.

I rented a truck, rebuilt a fence, put new edging around a garden, and cooked a pork loin. My sister bought a tub of potato salad at Kroger. I think my parents need to re-write their will. :ermm:

Actually, myself sister lives five miles from my parents, and I live five hours away, so she pays her dues a little at a time, and I pay mine in big chunks a few times a year. :LOL:

Mom is happy, so everyone is happy. ;)

CD

Your scallops dinner looks great, CG....nice sear on those beauties! :yum:

Busy day here today, so nothing special for dinner - cheese, crackers, fruit, pickles, olives, deviled eggs....and ice cream for later.

Your scallops dinner looks great, CG....nice sear on those beauties! :yum:

Yes, they do! :yum:

I need to get some scallops soon. I haven't had them in quite a while. They will be frozen, but I live in Dallas. I can't get fresh seafood here. :( But, I can get some really good beef, so I guess it balances out. ;)

CD

I get scallops from Albertsons and they've been frozen. When I bring them home I wrap them in several layers of paper towels and refrigerate them on a plate overnight so that they're as dry as possible the next day, for a good sear. So far, I've not been disappointed. :yum: LOVE those beauties!

Last edited:
Thanks Cheryl and casey.

News flash: my scallops were frozen. They were wild caught, locally sourced scallops though. The back of the package ingredient list read "sea scallops". No sodium dihywhyzippydodadi stuff, no nothin'. But at $12.99 for the pound of 16-20 count (my bag had 16 scallops), can't beat it. After I defrosted them overnight in the fridge, I rinsed them up and trimmed any muscle that was still attached, blotted them dry, sprinkled with a bit of Old Bay, and left them out of the fridge for about an hour before I cooked them.

Scallops have come down in price quite a bit by us in the last year. A year or two ago I would buy the bags of large-but-broken pieces for about $10 on sale, and those had the sodium additive in them because they were processed at sea. They also weren't pretty like these were. These are processed after they hit land just as if they were going fresh to the fishmongers and grocery store seafood departments. I'm guessing they are the extra from what isn't ordered for fresh sale. Since they go on sale about once a month, I just get them then.

Easy Sunday dinner today!

I thawed a pound of fish filets, topped them with a can of undiluted Campbell's cream of shrimp soup and French's onion rings, baked at 400F until everything was brown and bubbly. Served with a side of fresh buttered spinach cooked in the microwave for 2-3 minutes. Plenty of leftovers for lunch tomorrow!

You guys that have to buy frozen scallops want to look for dry pack. Ask the people at the fish counter which method was used to freeze them. If they say they don't know or you don't trust them, ask to see the paperwork. They are required by law to have it and show it to you if requested.

Split Sausage Links on a bed of Sautee'd Vidalia Onions, Horseradish, Mashed Yukons w/ Sausage Gravy, Peas & Carrots, Nuked...

Sausage & Gravy.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom