Dinner 5-28-2018 Memorial Day Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
Probably not a traditional Memorial Day dinner, but I’m making something Indian (naturally).

Making it up as I go along, not sure if it’s a curry or a dhal, or a curry made with dhal (red lentils tonight), but it’s smelling great.

I am going to do some chicken thighs in the Yoder but right now I am burning off a cast iron pan so I can reseason.

Marinated, then reverse seared tri-tip. Yummy! Craig did a great job. Sides were garlic mashed potatoes and country green beans.

The marinade is a 40+ year old recipe from my mother, onions sauteed in vege oil, then ketchup, yellow mustard, brown sugar, worchestershire, s and p, added and cooked together, cooled, then meat marinaded for at least 24 hours.

Attachments

• 2018-05-28 16.45.37.jpg
    2018-05-28 16.45.37.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 134
No idea really, but nothing special tonight. We're driving home from Michigan and DH wants to drive through, - that means another 4.5 hours on the road, arriving about 10 pm.

I made a small potato salad and a marinated English cucumber/onion salad this morning.

I will serve the salads with a couple Tyson Buffalo-style chicken strips and a few chunks of watermelon for dessert.

I'm getting together with some friends. The hostess ordered BBQ from Hard-Eight -- a pretty good Texas BBQ joint. I made my Lockhart BBQ recipe potato salad, and I'm making the margaritas. Another friend made slaw and banana pudding.

So, a pretty Texan holiday meal.

CD

I'm about to go out to the grill with some Asian marinated thighs and a grill basket of zucchini, onion, mushrooms, tri colored peppers, and eggplant marinated in olive oil/vinegar/garlic/HdP.

I made Tuscan Butter Chicken (originally Tuscan Butter Shrimp but I made an ingenious adjustment to the recipe). We had it over spaghetti with a tossed salad and sourdough rolls. As tomorrow is my eldest's birthday, we had a chocolate cake to hold the candles and ice cream to top it all off.

I'm about to go out to the grill with some Asian marinated thighs and a grill basket of zucchini, onion, mushrooms, tri colored peppers, and eggplant marinated in olive oil/vinegar/garlic/HdP.

This is the first time I've added skinned eggplant cubes to my beloved combo of mixed marinated grilled vegetables, and the eggplant will sure will be included from now on!

Just delicious!! :chef:

Went up the hill to "Cafe du SIL" for a cookout. She had shrimp cocktail for pre-meal snacking - we brought prosciutto-wrapped asparagus spears and marinated mozzarella cubes speared with tomato, or pepperoni, or olives. Dinner was grilled T-bones, a cauliflower casserole, roasted zucchini slices, and potato salad. SIL had fresh watermelon for dessert, so we brought a bottle of dessert wine - a Scuppernong wine from a small vineyard in NC. Tasty little bugger! :yum:

First picture is a cheese burger (I couldn't decide between a chili burger or a regular; so I had both) with Nathan's chili sauce & raw onion on one side and ketchup and pickles on the other half.

chili_burger_052818_IMG_4256.jpg

Second picture is clock wise - burger, B&M baked beans (doctored with my homemade BBQ rub), homemade potato salad (potatoes cooked in Instant Pot for 4 minutes, perfect), 2 bean salad, hot dog with sauerkraut, and pasta salad (no mayo) in center by burger.

burger_hot_dog_salads_052818_IMG_4260.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom