Dinner 5-5-2018 ~ Cinco de Derby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
Are you doing quasi-Mexican? Or are you cooking southern? Or are you going rogue and doing something completely different?

Our meal tonight depends on what the market supplies today. Price Chopper has big sea scallops for $13 and change this week. That's the grocery store I can get fish deep-fried at. If they have them in stock, we'll have fried scallops with salad and tater dots. If they don't have scallops on hand, I'll already have all the supplies I'll need from Market Basket to make Kentucky Hot Brown Sandwiches. In the event we have scallops tonight, Hot Browns on Sunday! And Juleps. Maybe Juleps both days.

It depends on how much energy I have left at the end of the day. I'm volunteering at my master gardener group's Open Garden event and it's exhausting. We'll see.

We have new neighbors next door since last Fall. They have a pizza place in the next town. husband, wife and wife's mom. They don't speak much English, they speak Portuguese. SO and Mom are forging a friendship over gardening. Mom locked herself out of the house this afternoon so SO called the restaurant so her SIL could come home and let her in.

When he arrived he brought a good sized pan of chicken, broccoli and ziti as a thank you. That's what's for dinner tonight.

Camembert baked in puffed pastry and scraps of pastry with apricots, for lunch. Dinner is the sweet potato coconut milk curried vegetables.

We have new neighbors next door since last Fall. They have a pizza place in the next town. husband, wife and wife's mom. They don't speak much English, they speak Portuguese. SO and Mom are forging a friendship over gardening. Mom locked herself out of the house this afternoon so SO called the restaurant so her SIL could come home and let her in.

When he arrived he brought a good sized pan of chicken, broccoli and ziti as a thank you. That's what's for dinner tonight.

How very thoughtful of them Andy! I love good neighbor stories like that.

I'm doing some turkey thighs on the grill for dinner. I'll give them a good rub with Mexican seasonings and serve them with Cheryl's southwestern bean and corn salad. While I'm at the grill, I'll have a mint julip instead of my usual wine, and that should cover "Cinco de Derby".
Whata plan!:mrgreen:

DH smoked a turkey breast last weekend for lunch meat and there's a lot left. I thawed a pint of tomatillo salsa I had made, so I'll chop some of the turkey, heat it with the salsa and make something with tortillas. Might get some Mexican rice going, too.

Feel like I went 15 with Mohammad Ali....big day at the mess hall....I was joking with gf that we spend all day selling fine foods, then come home and eat our dinner off of a cookie sheet...gotta love the restaurant business..

Chicken wings and ribs finished under the broiler with BBQ sauce, corn on the cob and baked beans.

chicken_ribs_050518_IMG_4124.jpg

Finished out the night with some watercress soup. It's good, who knew!

DH smoked a turkey breast last weekend for lunch meat and there's a lot left. I thawed a pint of tomatillo salsa I had made, so I'll chop some of the turkey, heat it with the salsa and make something with tortillas. Might get some Mexican rice going, too.

Sounds good GG. You could always do Nacho's! I'm just about to start the Mexican turkey thighs and think I'll use my little V smoker gadget for the grill. Thanks for the idea. ;)

Last edited:
We went to Carraba's so I could have the mussels in lemon butter sauce with Pernod and basil that I have been craving. We had fried calamari for an appy. I had grilled asparagus wrapped with prosciutto as a side, which Craig shared. It was drizzled with a balsamic reduction, which I am totally stealing and using from now on. Craig had lasagna with a side of meatballs. Plus, we had their rustic bread and dipping sauce of spices and garlic in olive oil. Saying that I am stuffed is a vast understatement.

Attachments

• 2018-05-05 20.10.06.jpg
    2018-05-05 20.10.06.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 144
Some neighbors and I went to The Blue Goose for TexMex late this afternoon. We sat on the patio. The weather was perfect.

We all had a Margarita (even me :angel:). And, we all left stuffed.

CD

We went to Carraba's so I could have the mussels in lemon butter sauce with Pernod and basil that I have been craving. We had fried calamari for an appy. I had grilled asparagus wrapped with prosciutto as a side, which Craig shared. It was drizzled with a balsamic reduction, which I am totally stealing and using from now on. Craig had lasagna with a side of meatballs. Plus, we had their rustic bread and dipping sauce of spices and garlic in olive oil. Saying that I am stuffed is a vast understatement.

Happy Birthday, Karen.

Try that balsamic reduction on fresh strawberries or home made ice cream...YUM!

Just wasn't inspired at all today so I asked Glenn if there was anything the might tickle his fancy for tonight's evening meal.

His lightning-fast answer, "I'd love a pot of white beans with some cornbread."

His wish was my command and, boy, did he have a winner of an idea!

Perfect and we ate like piggies.:pig::pig:

Happy birthday med. Sounds like you had a nice birthday celebration.

Looong day today, but eat we did. Lucky enough to get scallops deep-fried, baked up frozen tater dots, and made a salad. At least the salad is colorful. :LOL: Glass of wine as a side. And other as dessert. Might end up with a nightcap...

Attachments

• 20180505_220910.jpg
    20180505_220910.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 133

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom